Am I the only one with a Majestic MH? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
We would love to Attend a rally, but we are carers to my father and we work, so have limited time, there was a rally close to us at Shell Island in September but we had already booked our ferry.
In the winter less campsites open and we often visit Chester and stay at Little Roodee Carpark and it is a short stroll along the walls into the city, sometimes we travel only a couple of miles from home.
I hope you enjoy your van as much as we do, we fitted a few extras, solar panels and I bought an extra memory foam mattress topper and Roy made me a headboard, so we are comfy.

Have fun,
Lynne
That sounds absolutely great. Just checked out that car park, it looks like one of the MH stopovers I've read about.
It's a whole new world of motorhomes compared to touring caravans.
Looking forward to sharing experiences when we finally get going.
Regards
David&Barbara

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We had one.

Got rid of it pretty quickly.

Nothing else to say.

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
o_O
Both. Won't ever consider a British built van again.
I appreciate your thoughts, maybe it was just meant to be?
As long as you now have a MH that suits you that's what matters.
Lets hope I don't experience similar.
Cheers
David&Barbara

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
o_O
I appreciate your thoughts, maybe it was just meant to be?
As long as you now have a MH that suits you that's what matters.
Lets hope I don't experience similar.
Cheers
David&Barbara

Knowing what I know now about how Eldiss group vans are built I sincerely hope, for your sake, that you are never unfortunate enough to acquire one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Yes it is absolutely great now it is sorted and to put it into perspective I have heard of all sorts of much worse faults on much more expensive vans than ours.
Having said that I have found a much more local Peugeot dealer and Elddis approved service centre to do any future servicing.
For one thing it is a lot cheaper than Marquis and the second thing is that I would not trust Marquis technicians
again.
I hear what you say about the servicing you may try quoting the alternative garages to see if the dealer would price match? But then again if you no longer trust their technicians...
Cheers
David&Barbara

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have compass avantgard 150 , 2007 , had it three years , not had one fault, love it.

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Knowing what I know now about how Eldiss group vans are built I sincerely hope, for your sake, that you are never unfortunate enough to acquire one.
Thanks for the heads up.
I will be on my guard.
Regards
David&Barbara

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

EDIT: @David&Barbara Having re read your original post you have my deepest sympathy. I can only hope you haven't been saddled with the one I got rid of.

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Same model not, not the same year. I won't spoil the surprise for you.
I only like pleasant surprises. If it's something I should be on my guard for I would appreciate a pointer to save possible problems after I take ownership.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think ours is an older type than yours but have seen bad write ups about them, but can't see what can really go wrong that won't go wrong on other makes, toilet, heater, fridge, water heater, all the same , one piece roof , can't see where damp can get in as long as the edge seals are kept ok, undercarriage standard Peugeot, cupboards all solid timber, what more is there to say(n)

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
I think ours is an older type than yours but have seen bad write ups about them, but can't see what can really go wrong that won't go wrong on other makes, toilet, heater, fridge, water heater, all the same , one piece roof , can't see where damp can get in as long as the edge seals are kept ok, undercarriage standard Peugeot, cupboards all solid timber, what more is there to say(n)
I thought you were happy with your MH?
As I said before if you look after it, it will look after you.
Obviously you must look after yours as it's giving you good long service?
What's the problem with new MH, after all it's the future old Mh'S?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I thought you were happy with your MH?
As I said before if you look after it, it will look after you.
Obviously you must look after yours as it's giving you good long service?
What's the problem with new MH, after all it's the future old Mh'S?
Didn't say anything wrong with a new one , just stating that ours is an older model, it's others who are knocking them.

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Didn't say anything wrong with a new one , just stating that ours is an older model, it's others who are knocking them.
Oh well, sorry if I misunderstood, lets hope we all have many years uncomplicated travels.
Cheers
David&Barbara

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you think yours is rare, try spotting a Miller Alabama States, 7 berth with garage
The one we had was the ONLY right hand drive one made from what I gathered from SEA guy in Italy

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
If you think yours is rare, try spotting a Miller Alabama States, 7 berth with garage
The one we had was the ONLY right hand drive one made from what I gathered from SEA guy in Italy
Hi Jaws,
That sounds like a lovely RV not a MH :D
No doubt being that rare it's worth more now than when new?
Cheers
David&Barbara

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sounds like an RV but no, just a Euro wobble box :)
Miller is made by the SEA group .. Sharkey and one other also come under the umbrella

Must admit it was extremely well put together and apart from the clutch eventually going ( fair wear and tear ) never caused us an issue ( unlike the Autotrail and its wonderous collection of weird electrical faults I have battled with !! )

We had it for about 5 years and took £3000 less for it than we paid when we PX'd it for the Autotrail Chieftain we currently have

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I only like pleasant surprises. If it's something I should be on my guard for I would appreciate a pointer to save possible problems after I take ownership.

There's a design flaw/build flaw in how the rear walls join up with the floor which can result in the rear of the body becoming very wet.

If you're getting it from a dealer don't trust their damp report, especially if it's not a new van. Get your own independent one done.

I, luckily, got rid of mine before anything disastrous happened. I have heard of people having to have the whole back end rebuilt.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I can understand Nicknic's antagonism towards the M/H in view of his experience, and you would be well advised to have the damp check carried out.

However, all makes have their problems/niggles. Just check out the model specific forum for ideas.

Speaking personally we have now owned six M/Hs. Four of them from new. Five have been British built and one Continental.

The worst was an Autosleeper Ravenna we bought from new and changed within 18 months. The next worst was a Continental model, with water leaks on the internal hot water system, two electrical faults and a fridge that would only work when it felt like it, a well as other minor, but many, niggles on finish.

There is a definite perception that German built M/Hs are better quality but I have never owned one myself. They are also usually more expensive, however, and not always affordable by everyone.

One thing about Motorhomes is that there are a lot out there; A Class, Coachbuilts, PVCs etc. There is something for everyone.

As Nicknic says, think carefully and have regular checks done. I am sure you will have fun.(y)

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
There's a design flaw/build flaw in how the rear walls join up with the floor which can result in the rear of the body becoming very wet.

If you're getting it from a dealer don't trust their damp report, especially if it's not a new van. Get your own independent one done.

I, luckily, got rid of mine before anything disastrous happened. I have heard of people having to have the whole back end rebuilt.
I am very grateful to you getting back to me with that information.
I am getting it brand new and either they have overcome such a (known) problem or, they now come with a 10 year water ingress guarantee.
If I'm still around in 10 years :LOL: I don't think I would be worried.
Besides, I don't intend on keeping it more than 3 years or so.
Here's hoping for the best.
Cheers
David&Barbara

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
:madder:
I can understand Nicknic's antagonism towards the M/H in view of his experience, and you would be well advised to have the damp check carried out.

However, all makes have their problems/niggles. Just check out the model specific forum for ideas.

Speaking personally we have now owned six M/Hs. Four of them from new. Five have been British built and one Continental.

The worst was an Autosleeper Ravenna we bought from new and changed within 18 months. The next worst was a Continental model, with water leaks on the internal hot water system, two electrical faults and a fridge that would only work when it felt like it, a well as other minor, but many, niggles on finish.

There is a definite perception that German built M/Hs are better quality but I have never owned one myself. They are also usually more expensive, however, and not always affordable by everyone.

One thing about Motorhomes is that there are a lot out there; A Class, Coachbuilts, PVCs etc. There is something for everyone.

As Nicknic says, think carefully and have regular checks done. I am sure you will have fun.(y)
Hello,
It was nice of Nicknic to advise me on the problems he had and what to look out for and I echo what you say too.
I am going for new and fully intend to follow the service schedule to the letter.

I am the owner of a VW :madder: with the emissions news as of late...there's another example of German engineering.
It's reliable though which is the main thing when you need it for work.

As they always say, do your homework ::bigsmile:

Cheers
David&Barbara

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't know who is behind this website but clearly they have a major gripe! http://www.elddis-solid.co.uk

It's a caravan, but presumably made in the same place and buy the same people who make the MHs?

It is. Eldiss make the Majestic badged vans for Marquis Motorhomes.

One of the major gripes I had with my one was the build quality, or lack of. We didn't have any major problems like the person who wrote that website but overall it didn't feel very well put together.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
However, all makes have their problems/niggles.

The issue that Eldiss had was a bit more than just a niggle. If we were sat in a pub or something I would draw it for you. It's a bit difficult to explain without visuals. It was a major, serious, design issue.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The issue that Eldiss had was a bit more than just a niggle. If we were sat in a pub or something I would draw it for you. It's a bit difficult to explain without visuals. It was a major, serious, design issue.
I accept that Nicknic.

I wasn't arguing against you. You obviously had a bad time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back