Am I the only one who thinks this is odd ? (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We are on a very nice site at Hawes (Bainbridge Ings) and there are some seasonal pitches. On a few of those pitches are motorhomes. Some new and some not so new.
My point is, why buy a MH and stand it on the same pitch all season. Surely a caravan would be a more sensible alternative and loads cheaper !
I know people have all kinds of different criteria, and things happen in life unexpectedly, but it does seem odd to me.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Can’t drive it anymore and the price they can sell it for won’t pay for a replacement caravan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I can’t see storage being as much as seasonal pitches, plus tax, insurance etc. Why have one place as your weekend retreat when you can have a different one every weekend. You still need to travel to it, so there is the added expense of the car

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Not for me but we have secure drive. But if I had to pay storage a pitch would be better than just a space in storage

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If they live in a place with low emissions and their van gets charged to go home it might be cheaper to pay for storage on site and use it as a base to travel from

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It may seem odd to you but it may well be sensible to the people who do it, there could be any number of reasons. I’ve no doubt that people who saw us in a 6m pvc towing a car on a trailer found it very strange but they would not know that we were going to Spain for 6 months and staying in one place.

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
When we swooped our caravan for a mh, we were part way through a seasonal pitch, so we kept it there for the rest of the season. It was quite useful as we got to understand the van, and a feel, for it in a familiar setting.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
That’s a bit like…. “Why tow a car with a motorhome May as well get a caravan” remark.

Before COVID, I was considering parking ours up on a site for our daughter and her family to use whilst we are in Spain.

Our eldest doesn’t drive, our son-in-law doesn’t have a license to drive over 3.5 ton (not that I would let him drive ours).

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There are many full timers in American RVs which are a reasonably spacious cheap full time home for those that cannot afford bricks and mortar or just a lifestyle choice.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
That’s a bit like…. “Why tow a car with a motorhome May as well get a caravan” remark.

Before COVID, I was considering parking ours up on a site for our daughter and her family to use whilst we are in Spain.

Our eldest doesn’t drive, our son-in-law doesn’t have a license to drive over 3.5 ton (not that I would let him drive ours).
As I said in the OP, people have their reasons, so I’m not knocking their choice. I’m just saying it seems odd.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
There are many full timers in American RVs which are a reasonably spacious cheap full time home for those that cannot afford bricks and mortar or just a lifestyle choice.
There aren’t any people here with them so I don’t think that would be the reason, but I understand what you mean

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
If they live in a place with low emissions and their van gets charged to go home it might be cheaper to pay for storage on site and use it as a base to travel from

They may or may not be paying storage rates, something I don’t know, but they are parked on pitches, so you would have to think they are paying the going pitch rate. I don’t think the owners of the site would like to lose the revenue of a pitch for a season in favour of a lower storage rate

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
It may seem odd to you but it may well be sensible to the people who do it, there could be any number of reasons. I’ve no doubt that people who saw us in a 6m pvc towing a car on a trailer found it very strange but they would not know that we were going to Spain for 6 months and staying in one place.
As I’ve said, people have different criteria, so I understand that side of it.
As it happens I do find it odd that people pull a car round with them. Personally I pull a motorbike in a trailer. :LOL:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As I’ve said, people have different criteria, so I understand that side of it.
As it happens I do find it odd that people pull a car round with them. Personally I pull a motorbike in a trailer. :LOL:
I tow a car on an a frame in the U.K. as it enables us to explore all the tight areas not easy with a motorhome when pitched up on site, no we don’t want a caravan as that would be too cumbersome on the continent where the motorhome is perfect with the aires /stellplatz network.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I tow a car on an a frame in the U.K. as it enables us to explore all the tight areas not easy with a motorhome when pitched up on site, no we don’t want a caravan as that would be too cumbersome on the continent where the motorhome is perfect with the aires /stellplatz network.
I wouldn’t pull the trailer on the continent for that very reason. Very rare it’s been used over here lately.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
I use a trailer sometimes, prefer to use public transport but not always an option. I use our WAV (Wheelchair accessible vehicle) because my daughter needs her wheelchair for mobility.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
It
I use a trailer sometimes, prefer to use public transport but not always an option. I use our WAV (Wheelchair accessible vehicle) because my daughter needs her wheelchair for mobility.
It just shows there are all kinds of reasons why we tow. Hope you and your daughter have good times out on the road.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
She loves it, can get chilled.........

Attachments

• IMG_0715.JPG
    IMG_0715.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 16

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
I was on a Aire/site during the summer.The site was next to the beach but only had water and grey/black disposal.
It was €12 euro a night or €75 euro a week.
You could stay for a month for €300.
I was told that people parked up their vans for a month or two and commuted home

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back