Am I strange? Just contemplating..... (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Am I strange? Just contemplating.......
I recently posted that maybe I was unusual in that my first MH was an 'A' Class - in my case a N+B Arto(used), so 7m.

But I wonder if I was not so unusual, and whether there are others who entered the MH World with an equivalent 'A' Class.

I appreciate that many people will have started off in MHs at a much younger age and not as financially viable as I was at age of 68, because I had spent the previous 22 years with a boat(still have it)

The answer is not important either way - just of interest.

Geoff

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We also started off with a A class 8.75 metre tag axle + LHD dethleffs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My first van was an A class.

The first of my troubles surfaced when I realised it didn't fit on our drive.

Not even nearly:D2

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Quite the opposite for me. At the age of 26 we set off on a one way ticket from Dover in a DIY converted Ford Anglia Van. No looking back and have had no ambitions to go up to anything like an A Class (although of course, that old van is no more) - nothing to do with money.
It's the travelling that's important to me, not the size or badging of the vehicle and quite honestly I'm happier wandering in a small van that I can park anywhere and not have to worry if my ÂŁ500 replacement power, illuminated door mirror is going to connect with that on coming tipper truck. :)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
My first van was an A class.

The first of my troubles surfaced when I realised it didn't fit on our drive.

Not even nearly:D2

Did you have to knock down the stone gateposts with the lions on to get it to fit?;):LOL:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Geoff

As you know we have a N+B Flair 8.5 metres and Yes it is our first motorhome, unlike some I/we like a Big "A" class although other than caravans we don't know anything else, to me owning the vehicle is nearly as important as the journey's we make in it I just like owning and looking after nice things.

Martin

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Pop up roof Leyland Sherpa for me around 1978

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
First motorhome we owned is 6.99m Hymer A class.

Parents owned various bay front VWs when I was a child, progressing through various later model VW camper vans so we knew we liked the lifestyle etc so maybe going for an A class first time wasn't as much of a leap into the unknown for us.

Feel pretty much the same way as Martin @funflair about the things we have.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
No Geoff there is nothing starnge about your arrival in the Motorhoming fraternity. We all, everyone of us, have our own journey to make. Some, like yourself, start where others may end up.
The problem about motorhome ownership is often money or the lack of it when we were much younger.
Our own love is travel and the van provides more comfort than the tents, caravans, home builds and earliest motorhomes ever could, but whether the journey was to Turkey in a Mini Traveller with a home made tent fixed on the back or months wild camping in our Motorhome it does not matter. When we are travelling we become alive and self-reliant, never too sure what we will do on the next day. We love our Motorhome.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
No not strange, we are all different you just buy what you can afford/like seems quite sensible to me.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
After 30 years of caravanning we bought a MoHo - a Rapido A class - then we had a Coachbuilt Knaus and now just bought a Hymer A class!

Like you @nicholsong we still have our boat too - not a Nicholson though ;)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Not strange at all buy what suits and what you can afford. We had not intended to start with a Rapido A class, let alone a new one but we did and don't regret it at all. Best thing we ever did along with buying a tandem! (Wife's idea!) and we still have a dinghy to sail!

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
When I retired (having had tents, trailer tents, folding camper and having lived in a 15' touring caravan for six months) we used my lump sum to buy a 20-yr-old Duetto to find out whether we would take to motorhoming. We did and then had a newer (11-yr-old IH Tio Savannah) van with fixed bed and garage. It needed money spending on it so we took the plunge and, following an inheritance, went for a new Benimar Mileo 201, again with fixed bed and (very spacious) garage. At just under 6m she is plenty big enough for us and we do like to wander and explore so anything bigger would be a pain to park and not for us. Each to his own of course but I can't help thinking that an A class would be an encumbrance rather than a pleasure for us.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Aren't N+Bs the ugliest motorhomes ?..................REALLY !

:whistle:

:imoutahere:

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
P.s as swearing isn't allowed on this site !!!!:):)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Aren't N+Bs the ugliest motorhomes ?..................REALLY !

:whistle:

:imoutahere:
I suppose it depends whether you like them or not:D personally I think they are some of the best looking vans on the market(y) just not in chrome:LOL:

Niesmann-Bischoff-Arto-88-E-1200x800-554bfe49f9beb5ae.jpg

Martin

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I suppose it depends whether you like them or not:D personally I think they are some of the best looking vans on the market(y) just not in chrome:LOL:
View attachment 162915
Martin

Beauty is in the eye of the holder..........but some should go to Specsavers...................

;):whistle:

N+B.............quality........yes..........beauty............not to me

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
It was a warm evening beside the Med when the couple on the next pitch invited us round for a G&T in their N&B that got me hooked on an A class.
We had never sat in an A class before but that huge windscreen and all those big windows, letting in all that light, plus the views over the water lodged in my memory bank.
A couple of years later we bit the bullet and ordered our Carthago.
We love a spot with nice views, particularly over water or mountains and that is where an A Class comes out ahead of the competition.
N&B are beautiful looking vans but the interior is not to everyones taste. Very minimalist and teutonic design do not suit everyone but they certainly have class.
It took us three vans to get to where we really wanted to be and it would have saved a lot of dosh if we had done the same as Geoff and bought an A Class first time round.

Richard.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It was a warm evening beside the Med when the couple on the next pitch invited us round for a G&T in their N&B that got me hooked on an A class.
We had never sat in an A class before but that huge windscreen and all those big windows, letting in all that light, plus the views over the water lodged in my memory bank.
A couple of years later we bit the bullet and ordered our Carthago.
We love a spot with nice views, particularly over water or mountains and that is where an A Class comes out ahead of the competition.
N&B are beautiful looking vans but the interior is not to everyones taste. Very minimalist and teutonic design do not suit everyone but they certainly have class.
It took us three vans to get to where we really wanted to be and it would have saved a lot of dosh if we had done the same as Geoff and bought an A Class first time round.

Richard.

Thanks to all who have posted so far. I am surprised that so many started with 'A' Class.

I have quoted Richard's post because the bits I have enboldened sum up what I like about an 'A' Class. I would just add that the view through the windscreen is also better when driving, as one can see the tops of hills/mountains and the birds of prey wheeling over them.

As for those that think N+B look ugly, I do not sit looking at the MH - I am either in it or sitting with my back to it, but when I do look at it I think of the above plus points. But for those thinking the Arto ugly - don't worry, you are unlikely to have to look at it as we usually wildcamp, alone.:D

Interior Tuetonic? - I would prefer to say clean-cut, which I like compared to some which have a blingy look, even some newer N+B that I have seen at Polch.

On the cost side I think there a lot of owners on here, not all of course, who have spent as much as I did when I bought privately in 2009, at 6 years old with 16,000 miles on it for ÂŁ27,600. It has now done 40,000 and I do not see us changing it soon, and as Richard said, it saves money by not trading up to get to where one wants to be, but only if one wants to, of course. Plus I am well happy with the 2.8Jtd engine with less electronics than newer engines. I could forsee still having this MH in another 10 years.

Size? For driving it is easier than the 7.5t trucks I drove. Only once in 8 years failed to get up a road because of a steep gradient on a hairpin causing grounding the towbar. Parking not much trouble, except height barriers, but every MH has that problem except VW T5 size.

So Folks, it appears that it was not so unusual, but maybe still the minority, to buy 'A' Class as first MH.

Geoff

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
not strange at all.

you bought what you liked, thats the best way to buy.

we bought what we like too. yes first buy ,a class.

we sat in lots before we bought, diffent layouts etc.

then we bought our rv, never looked back.

lute

Free Member
Mar 27, 2017
Puerto Real Spain
Funster No
MH
Tabbert FFB 680 Classic
Exp
Im a newbie from 20+ years of caravaning
I'm new to motor homes but i bought an A class at 6.80 mts , I always had a large caravan and now i like the idea of being able to walk around inside if the rains to heavy:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back