LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Currently I have a Photonic Universe 150 watt panel on the roof that the specs say that it has a maximum power current of 8.48A and a short circuit current of 9.12A and this is connected to a Victron 75/15 mppt controller. I intend to add a Photonic Universe 100 watt panel to the system which the specs state maximum power current of 5.18A and a short circuit current of 5.56A
The Victron controller specs state a continous/peak load of 15A but a maximum panel wattage of 220 watts. So with adding the 100 watt panel they would be under the 15A running flat out but over the 220 watts quoted for the controller. The 75/15 is supposed to cut out if loaded past the 15A so I'm loathed to fork out £200 for the 100/30 controller.
I tried phoning Victron to get some clarity as to whether I'm ok adding the 100 watt panel but I'm very disappointed with Victron as they point blank refuse to talk to consumers like myself and will only converse with their dealer network who you have to put your quires to Victron. :swear2:

So what do you recon then ?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It will probably be alright. If it burns the controller out you'll need a new one anyway.
I wouldn't risk it myself though, I'd be thinking about it starting a fire every time I'm out.

My panel can only make 66% of the controllers capacity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Does your controller have an Automatic Load Disconnect of 15 amps, which controller do you have.

Edit: I have just read your post again and see you are using the 75/15 which does have the Automatic Load Disconnect at 15 amps so I would have thought this would be okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
It will probably be alright. If it burns the controller out you'll need a new one anyway.
I wouldn't risk it myself though, I'd be thinking about it starting a fire every time I'm out.

My panel can only make 66% of the controllers capacity.

My thinking was that the amperage output quoted on the panel are what they can theoretically pump out but can they achieve that in real life, plus am I likely to ever get sunshine to test the panels and controller to the max.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Currently I have a Photonic Universe 150 watt panel on the roof that the specs say that it has a maximum power current of 8.48A and a short circuit current of 9.12A and this is connected to a Victron 75/15 mppt controller. I intend to add a Photonic Universe 100 watt panel to the system which the specs state maximum power current of 5.18A and a short circuit current of 5.56A
The Victron controller specs state a continous/peak load of 15A but a maximum panel wattage of 220 watts. So with adding the 100 watt panel they would be under the 15A running flat out but over the 220 watts quoted for the controller. The 75/15 is supposed to cut out if loaded past the 15A so I'm loathed to fork out £200 for the 100/30 controller.
I tried phoning Victron to get some clarity as to whether I'm ok adding the 100 watt panel but I'm very disappointed with Victron as they point blank refuse to talk to consumers like myself and will only converse with their dealer network who you have to put your quires to Victron. :swear2:

So what do you recon then ?

My solar panel is the exact same one as your's from photonic universe, in Spain in October it makes over 9a...
20171028_141317.jpg

I tilt it towards the sun at that time of year, it wouldn't make anything like that flat.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My thinking was that the amperage output quoted on the panel are what they can theoretically pump out but can they achieve that in real life, plus am I likely to ever get sunshine to test the panels and controller to the max.
Midsummer with a flat panel (especially if your batteries are down I bit) it will pump out the rated, or even more amps. IMO

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I think I'll fit the additional 100 watt panel for now and stay with the Victron 75/15 controller for the present and monitor the output of the panels as the sun get stronger as the year goes on.
If it's starting to look a bit borderline then I'll have to put my hand in my pocket and upgrade to the Victron 100/30.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My solar panel is the exact same one as your's from photonic universe, in Spain in October it makes over 9a...
View attachment 211088
I tilt it towards the sun at that time of year, it wouldn't make anything like that flat.
What you are seeing on your monitor is the charge current into your batteries the output from the panel will be a lower current at a higher voltage the output from the panel will be around 7.5 amps at 17 volts.

As for @CCC question it should be fine, Victron units are very roboust and should just stop giving an output if overload without and detremental effects. Unless you are going to be in Morocco in June & July I doubt if you will ever see the full output from the panels.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
What you are seeing on your monitor is the charge current into your batteries the output from the panel will be a lower current at a higher voltage the output from the panel will be around 7.5 amps at 17 volts.

As for @CCC question it should be fine, Victron units are very roboust and should just stop giving an output if overload without and detremental effects. Unless you are going to be in Morocco in June & July I doubt if you will ever see the full output from the panels.
Of course yes, I thought it was doing well :D2

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Fit it and do the test...

Operate the light switch.