Am I just an old cynic? (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Van going in on Friday for hab check, MOT and service - £283 for the lot so not a bad price really. As part of warranty we are taking it to the dealer we bought it from. Can't help thinking that if they find anything wrong they may not report it as they will be responsible for fixing it .............................. or am I just an old cynic?

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Always do my MOT at council depot as they dont do repairs so have nothing to gain by failing it, last one in June they pointed out that number plate light was not working and tow bar deflector plate partly obscured the number plate - nip off and sort them then it will be ok.
Back an hour later with a pass.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Alteratively take it to Dave Newell. Excellent job. Excellent price. Doesn't seek out unnecessary work and not too far to Telford. While he does the work you can go round Blists Hill or other attractions in Telford. Great day out.

p.s. you get funster discount too!
Wyn

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hi Wyn - yes, we've had work done by Dave before and he's great, however to maintain the warranty we are taking it back to the dealer we bought it from.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Van going in on Friday for hab check, MOT and service - £283 for the lot so not a bad price really. As part of warranty we are taking it to the dealer we bought it from. Can't help thinking that if they find anything wrong they may not report it as they will be responsible for fixing it .............................. or am I just an old cynic?

If the dealer found anything wrong under warranty then they would get the costs repaid by the manufacturer as they would be counter claiming - so you could say they would be more liable to find things to get the work that may not exist.

You have more to worry about regarding the condition some dealers leave the van in after the hab check. One large midland dealer I know of who did mine prompty left the tea towel (that stopped it rattling) over the door whilst it was alight setting fire to it.

Its not a bad price for a hab check service and MOT. Why not consider a service plan with your dealer. I pay £17/monthfor my peugeot boxer which gives servicing and MOT included for 3 years. Then I get a hab check done at home (or work) for £100 but dont have to suddenly find the all the money at once

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
now you are not a cynic...if still under warranty I wouldnt t trust them either!

this is what happened to me a few years back: I had an extra damp inspection carried out by supplying dealer as the dealer i was PX'ing it with worried me a bit when he said "they all leak and have damp problems" (Euramobil Profila) by the time I got up to Germany to PX 4 weeks later damp was discovered all over the place!
luckily the deal still went through as the 6 year warranty still intact (van was 5 years old) Dealer was not best pleased as instead of being able to sell it on immediately it took 6 weeks to repair. I got of lightly as I got the previously agreed price..I have seen some horror stories with UK CB's though and people ending up with massive losses early on...:cautious:

be careful out here.......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back