Am I fooling myself? (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
When we don't have EHU I charge our phones from a powerbank, then recharge the powerbank from the solar in the afternoon as it is charging the leisure battery, I assume the battery will have recovered by then and I am getting extra from the solar as it starts to cut the charge to the battery.
Is that just wasting my time? should I charge the phones from the battery?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Charge from battery, the phones hardly use any amps. We leave ours on overnight and by the time we are up the leisure batteries are fully charged anyway, even with the TV on the previous night. Vert rarely use the power charges but do carry them.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I’d charge the phones direct from the battery, then if the battery was still full I’d then charge the power pack for a little extra resilience in case of a shady day

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
There could be a caveat to charging straight from the moho battery, if the device and or the usb charger is a smart one the device will shut off the charge when fully charged.
A lot of usb chargers and phones will go down to trickle charge when they are supposed to have finished charging this can reduce the battery lifetime significantly.
I have a couple of smart power banks that switch off when my iPhone and iPad devices are charged. So I will use these.
The batteries in my iPad and iPhone are still going strong 4 years + now.
Can’t see any point in replacing stuff it it still works just because the latest model can do more stuff.
Only when the next phone can make my tea I will buy it!

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I just plug stuff in and wait till the red light goes out, loads of devices on charge constantly in our van, can be 7-10 on charge at any one point. I assume the solar manages to keep the leisure battery topped up enough to manage it all and they are all taking really low amounts of juice anyway.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
When we don't have EHU I charge our phones from a powerbank, then recharge the powerbank from the solar in the afternoon as it is charging the leisure battery, I assume the battery will have recovered by then and I am getting extra from the solar as it starts to cut the charge to the battery.
Is that just wasting my time? should I charge the phones from the battery?
In theory the powerbank is acting like an extra storage battery if you charge it when the leisure batteries are full. You are using solar power that would otherwise be surplus to requirements. The amount of charge is small, but it's definitely an addition.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you charge the power bank before the leisure battery is full you'll reduce it's charge rate by about half an amp. Doesn't matter how you do it. 👍

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Thanks for all the replies, all useful info

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Cut out the middle charge scenario.
Powebanks need more charge than the individual items you want topped up.
They’re handy for if you’re caught short but a large net loss of charge effort if used routinely.

This is from my 3yo power bank usage. Not sure that newer ones will be radically more efficient.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back