Am I Expecting Too Much From My Solar Panels (1 Viewer)

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
Hi

I have just had solar panels fitted to our campervan so I have no experience with them and what to expect from them. After one night away in the van the battery was down to about 12.2v which I felt was fair enough. The following day was overcast and grey with no sunshine and I parked the van up for 8 hours whilst I did a long bike ride. When I returned the battery was at 12.7v but I was hoping that it would be fully charged (i.e. 13.5v). Should 2x120w solar panels be able to fully charge a 100Ah leisure battery in these conditions in 8 hours or am I expecting too much?

My other concern is that our leisure battery might be past its best. It is 3 years old. By the second night it was too low for our Avtex TV to operate more than 20 minutes and we hadn't used much electricity at all. Would a duff battery recharge slower than a battery in good condition?

Apologies for the numpty questions.

TIA

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
My battery’s are nearly 20years old I have 4 100 amp 3 100watt solar panels perhaps your battery isn’t good I would have it checked , then by the best battery you can justify, if your solar panels and regulator are questionable You can have them checked for output . I had mine checked by Chase RV , Garry is very good.. hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Are the batteries lead acid? if so you only have 50% useable, then you can work out what you use . Was your fridge on etc...fridges consume lots and would swallow that 50a in very short time, even 3-4 hours..
lithium would get you 80-90%

You really need an mppt charge controller to get the most from your panels.
240 solar could in theory put that back in with a decent mppt if sunny, they would poss generate 7 a each (14 per hour) when good sun .

there are lots of variables but try and think what power you use in a day.
But if your batteries are kaput (ish) its a running battle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alesupper

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
What type of controller has the system got?
Both the solar panels are PV Logic. The controller is just a standard one for now as I am waiting for them to supply a MPPT controller, which should improve things hopefully.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi

I have just had solar panels fitted to our campervan so I have no experience with them and what to expect from them. After one night away in the van the battery was down to about 12.2v which I felt was fair enough. The following day was overcast and grey with no sunshine and I parked the van up for 8 hours whilst I did a long bike ride. When I returned the battery was at 12.7v but I was hoping that it would be fully charged (i.e. 13.5v). Should 2x120w solar panels be able to fully charge a 100Ah leisure battery in these conditions in 8 hours or am I expecting too much?

My other concern is that our leisure battery might be past its best. It is 3 years old. By the second night it was too low for our Avtex TV to operate more than 20 minutes and we hadn't used much electricity at all. Would a duff battery recharge slower than a battery in good condition?

TIA
Overcast and grey would put very little back in the battery. More important is the size and condition of the battery to allow you to get through a couple of grey days.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
If you had full sun maybe by 4 o’clock with an mppt controller if that flat no.
If your Avatar pic is your van we have similar and our usage is minimal.
Led lights, occasionally water pump usage, fridge on gas but still uses power.
Some charging of iPads and phones maybe tv, but no much this time of year.
We have 255watt panel and Votronic 350duo mppt controller.
Usually my 110amp leasure and top up of starter battery would be fully charged by 10am in the summer, definitely by lunchtime this time of year if full sun.
On a light cloudy day maybe by tea time.
I can tilt my panel but usually don’t need to till end of September.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alesupper

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
If you had full sun maybe by 4 o’clock with an mppt controller if that flat no.
If your Avatar pic is your van we have similar and our usage is minimal.
Led lights, occasionally water pump usage, fridge on gas but still uses power.
Some charging of iPads and phones maybe tv, but no much this time of year.
We have 255watt panel and Votronic 350duo mppt controller.
Usually my 110amp leasure and top up of starter battery would be fully charged by 10am in the summer, definitely by lunchtime this time of year if full sun.
On a light cloudy day maybe by tea time.
I can tilt my panel but usually don’t need to till end of September.
Thank you, that is useful info and yes, the van in the avatar is our van.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I have seen 13 amps from our controller the panel is rated at 8 something so mppt will make a big difference, especially on cloudy days.

Upvote 1

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Hi

TIA
I think the answer is lays with your statement," overcast and grey with no sunshine ",....I have 3 x 100a batteries, and 2 x 150w @32v Panels , and unless there is direct sunlight, i only get about 2 amp. using 'Ohms law,...12v x 2 amp = 24w !...so not enough even for a small TV .
I have 12 Large panels on the roof of my house, and on cloudy days, won't even charge enough for the fridge/freezer (120w)
Another thing to check, is that there are No Leaves or other debris/shadow on the panels, as we have found that even a couple of leaves can dramitically reduce their output !
The Solar system on our house cost £12k, and saves us about £500 per year, so,..24 years payback time (unless the price per unit vastly increases)
I have come to the conclusion that the only people who make money from Solar panels are the Bank (capital outlay loan) the Panel installation company, and the Electric company (French) who give us a massive 4p per unit for the excess units we sell to them (then they charge 18p per unit to sell it back to us in the night time)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alesupper

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
Thanks Robert, that is very useful information. I guess I was expecting too much from my panels.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I think you discharged a fair bit and the solar did not had the weather to put back all of it.
Have a look at this link, you can calculate the solar harvest based on location, angle and panel mounted on roof or free standing if is on the ground. Enter the relevant details on the right, and divide the result of wh by 12v in your case.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back