Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
During the winter I hooked up (or ran gennie) every now and then... and I pondered getting a battery monitor....

However.. now that the Sun is higher.. I haven't been on hookup for quiet a few weeks ... or run gennie.. have moved around - but not daily...

So.... I've just been looking at my MPPT every day.. and if if both lights are "steady state".. i.e - on float.. (usually around lunch time)... I'm all good to go?..

And if so.... that means I'm well within capacity with 100w solar and 2 * Varta LFD90?...

Is my thinking correct? (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The LFD90's are wet cells, so once 14.4 is reach they should be fully charged after another hour. If your lights are indicating the regulator has gone into float charge mode (13.8v) yes you should be fully charged.
Nothing better than a battery monitor to give peace of mind.

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
The LFD90's are wet cells, so once 14.4 is reach they should be fully charged after another hour. If your lights are indicating the regulator has gone into float charge mode (13.8v) yes you should be fully charged.
Nothing better than a battery monitor to give peace of mind.

I still might get one... after reading the threads on here - considered the blu tooth one... as less faff to install...

But as of today.... I'm still thinking it's a "nice to have" as opposed to an essential.. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I still might get one... after reading the threads on here - considered the blu tooth one... as less faff to install...

But as of today.... I'm still thinking it's a "nice to have" as opposed to an essential.. ;)
For a lot of people nice to have for anyone with a technical background who needs to know what is going on it's essential I couldn't sleep at night without one.:D

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Am I correct in thinking....

Definitely not, it's an activity always best avoided.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have just got a blue tooth dongle for mine and it works really well. Good app and easy to set up and use. Will probably get a monitor later if @eddievanbitz ever fits my b2b. ;)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I had a NASA BM1 in our last RV , all info on domestic and starter battery condition very useful .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Technical background here and I don't have and don't want any kind of battery monitor. I don't see the point at all.

It was summed up perfectly for me when I mentioned the idea to someone who could have sold me one and installed it. He said "there's no point. If you have one all you'll do is sit watching it and worrying about it. Just forget about it and use your van however you want."

He's been proven absolutely right. We use the van how we want to, we don't think about or worry about power consumption and we've never had a problem.

We use our van all through the winter with no hookup and the solar panels cope just fine.

If the batteries fail I'll get new ones. I don't need some gadget to give me a couple of hours warning.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Don't agree, a couple of years ago my batteries failed in Greece, I was able to establish I could use 20a/h before they died completely. By monitoring current and voltage I survived another 4 weeks until getting back home.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I was able to establish I could use 20a/h before they died completely. By monitoring current and voltage I survived another 4 weeks until getting back home.

That sounds too much like work to me. Couldn't be doing with it.

If I couldn't buy new ones wherever I happened to be when the old ones packed in I'd just manage without until I found somewhere I could buy them.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
This reminds me of a recent conversation with a young work colleague, "I'm struggling today, up six times with baby Olivia last night" oh dear what's wrong I enquired. It transpired that baby Olivia was just fine, the problems were a malfunctioning sensor on his fancy alarm together with alerts from a baby monitoring mat in Olivia's cot because she decided to sleep right at the end of the cot and off the mat !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That sounds too much like work to me. Couldn't be doing with it.

If I couldn't buy new ones wherever I happened to be when the old ones packed in I'd just manage without until I found somewhere I could buy them.
Bascily what I did as it would have been a round trip of several hundred miles to get batteries the monitor made life easy so I could concentrate on my holiday and not bother about the batteries until back home saved loosing valuable holiday time.:)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Bascily what I did as it would have been a round trip of several hundred miles to get batteries the monitor made life easy so I could concentrate on my holiday and not bother about the batteries until back home saved loosing valuable holiday time.:)

It sounds like the opposite to me, you concentrated on the battery monitor rather than your holiday. :whistle:

Having to constantly be thinking about batteries, eking out limited power always watching a monitor to make sure I didn't go over doesn't sound like much of a holiday to me.

I would have rather let them fail and managed with no power for a few hundred miles. (y)

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Ok guys..... @NickNic and @Lenny HB ...

(y)...

IMG_3598.JPG

Just Enjoy the day (y) :D2

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Me neither Joy. But Ralph put a NASA BM-2 on Pug.
He watches what's going in and out and as we never use hook up. He's not looking all the time , granted, but likes to know.
We watch tv regularly on an evening or a wet day , have webasto heating and a 12 v fridge so we are power hungry. Especially if I'm washing blowing and curling/straightening my hair after a shower. He's even got a gadget on his phone for it .
But it's all gobldy gook to me. I just expect to be able to flick a switch and use what I would at home , where ever.
He says not having one is like driving a car with no fuel gage when your not hooked up.
But he says you do need to understand what it's telling you . And I don't !

Last edited:
Reactions: CWH
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have one and find it essential when running off hookup for extended periods. I need juice to last me all night for my work. If it gets to about 4pm and my batteries don't have enough charge I can whack the generator on for an hour or two to give me enough reserves to last the night. Without the battery monitor I would be guessing.

As a fulltimer it is not a case of enjoying my holiday and getting on with it, it is a vital piece of gear for me. Fletton is also a fulltimer.

If you are just going away on holiday for a week at a time or a 2-3 week holiday then yes you probably don't actually need one.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm not really interested in knowing whats going in or out of my batteries, but I think knowing the SOC is very important.

I like the fuel gauge analogy, and monitors that let you set a warning sound at a set %SOC, much the same as you fuel warning warning are must have.

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Me neither Joy. But Ralph put a NASA BM-2 on Pug.
He watches what's going in and out and as we never use hook up. He's not looking all the time , granted, but likes to know.
We watch tv regularly on an evening or a wet day , have webasto heating and a 12 v fridge so we are power hungry. Especially if I'm washing blowing and curling/straightening my hair after a shower. He's even got a gadget on his phone for it .
But it's all gobldy gook to me. I just expect to be able to flick a switch and use what I would at home , where ever.
He says not having one is like driving a car with no fuel gage when your not hooked up.
But he says you do need to understand what it's telling you . And I don't !

More details on the phone app Bev ? I can only find a Bluetooth BM-1 which is not big enough for us, we also have the BM-2 fitted

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
More details on the phone app Bev ? I can only find a Bluetooth BM-1 which is not big enough for us, we also have the BM-2 fitted

Your joking Dave, :Eeek: I've not got a clue as I said.
I just expect everything to work and it does. But then again we are a lot smaller than you with less power hungry gadgets I'm guessing?? You'll have to ring Ralph :laughing:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
@manda3000gt Hi Dave & Amanda, The way i monitor by Bluetooth is through the Victron solar controller......

More details and screen shots below....

www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:start

www.victronenergy.com/blog/2015/03/31/battery-and-mppt-solar-charge-state-bluetooth-low-energy-dongle-app-has-arrived/

www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ve-direct-bluetooth-smart-dongle

It is also possible to connect Bluetooth to a Victron battery monitor.
I have the Nasa Bm2 (200A) so not possible but the solar Bluetooth app gives me all the information i need

Cheers Ralph (y)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back