Am I being a thickie? (Toilet flush tank filling) (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
OK, so at first I thought something bad had happened to my flush tank on my Thetford Porta Potti.

But now I am thinking I may just have been being a bit thick, and it's all ok.

Can somebody tell me? :Blush:

So, I went to refill the flush tank on the toilet, it was chilly outside so did it from inside, lifting the toilet roll holder and little tray thing out to access the filler pipe thing.

Started to pour in the fluid, and it started to overflow from an open top area where the filler pipe thing (apologies for the lack of technically correct terminology!) attaches to the toilet. The level indicator glass shows nothing.

So at first I panicked and thought that this overflow meant that there was some blockage and fluid wasn't reaching the tank from the filler.

Now a I am thinking is it meant to overflow from the top of the filler and that is actually the way the fluid gets to the tank which is just some open reservoir that sits beneath the toilet roll holder...

So before I flood the insides of my loo with fluid intended for the flush tank, can somebody tell me if I'm being dim?

Many thanks Funsters!

Jamie.
(almost a one-year old funster and still finding I don't know how things work!)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have yet to see a thetford toilet which can be filled from indoors.

as far as i know the space under the roll holder is just the inside void of the plastic moulding.

if it was possible you would need to locate and disconnect the external fill tube where it enters the tank to pour fluid into the tank.

and before anyone realises what i wrote in the first line....you know what i mean.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

Tell us what toilet you have but you cannot fill it from the INSIDE why would you think you can?

Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Well........

I had a problem with toilet flush as I hadn't emptied it after adding biological liquid and not using vehicle for a while.

The biological liquid mixed with the water had turned to a jelly like substance and would not flush.

In order to get flush working, I lifted toilet roll holder and removed as much as I could of biological jelly substance and then added plenty of water.

Flush then started to work.:Smile:

So when adding biological liquid do not add too much biological liquid to your flush:Smile:

I can fill my flush by lifting the toilet roll out and adding water, and it does work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Don't know what the model of Thetford it is, but it is a fixed type, fills the width of the bathroom, with removable trays to the right of the bowl for the toilet roll holder and another general rectangular tray; and a push button flush/hatch open knob to the right. Green/Red Fullness gauge on the front below the bowl.

The flush filler is a grey plastic tube with yellow cap that from the exterior compartment you swing out to fill.

If I remove the rectangular tray I can see down into the cassette compartment and said filler.

So I saw not why I couldn't swing out the filler remove the cap and fill from indoors through the removed rectangular tray hole.

Flush itself functions fine - the pump pumps, and blows the last remnants of flushing liquid into the bowl.

I would provide pics, but the van is not currently at the house - will get some next time I visit.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah - I think I've found the toilet type you're on about here, in which case the tray etc you're referring to aren't part of the standard 'toilet' bench but were made by Machzone as an infil.

Attachments

• machzone toilet.jpg
    machzone toilet.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
now i get what you mean :thumb:

you are actually filling the tank via the correct external fill point but there is an additional panel which exposes the filler on the inside of the van.

when the tank is full it should overflow from the filler neck only but as that is still inside the van it will go into the cassette compartment.

Upvote 0

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
My toilet does not have the tray.

I just remove the toilet roll holder and can fill from there.

I only discovered this after having a problem flushing because I used too much biological liquid and didn't empty it and it turned to a jelly like substance which I had to remove.:Smile:

So at least with my Kontiki, I can fill it from indoors:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Minx, that's exactly what I have.

(rather poor and upside down) Piccie attached.

There is nothing on the end of the filler pipe that connects into any other tank, so I presume it just overflows from the top of the filler.

The overflow bit is the open end of the filler tube, can be seen as the dark circular bit down inside the toilet roll holder hole, with the pick up pipe to the flush running over it.

I think if, as before, I'd just filled from inside the compartment so I could see the level indicator, I wouldn't even have noticed that this just seems to flow out and over.

Attachments

• loo.jpg
    loo.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread