Always keep a copy of your no claims discount (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Always keep a copy of your no claims discount when you change insurer.
I have just had a problem when I changed insurer they changed the goalposts 2 weeks into policy and asked me for proof of no claims when told at inception of policy they didn't need it.
No problem I thought but I was forgetting I had only been with my last insurers for 3 years. Contacted the insurer I had been with previous to them who incidentally I am still with for house insurance to be told yes you cancelled policy in 2010 and been with us for 5 years but we don't keep details of claims from 2 years after the policy finished.
So they have everything else on file but have deleted no claims history .
I could understand if I hadn't got the house insurance with them as I would be a lapsed customer .
Anyway motorhome insurance then say that will be another £85 please.
I cancelled policy it was cheaper to cancel and thanks to Jims post re AIB insurance giving good discounts to funsters I am now the happy owner of insurance through them.:thumb:

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
your NCD is only valid for 2 years when no policy is in force............i thought EVERYONE knew that!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Many motorhome insurers don't take your no claims into account - comfort don't - but they will hold it on file so that it doesn't lapse
I had max on my car which I sold - our other car is in jackies name - but as I couldn't use it on the motorhome it's on file with comfort and will remain valid if I ever need it - apparently:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'm very confused.

Sadlonelygit wasn't being sarky I don't think?

The last but one's NCD would have been transferred to the last insurer eg you had Nil NCD when you started with the first, you had 3 years NCD when you got to the next one, now 12 months later, THEY give you proof of FOUR years NCD.

Certainly ALL motor insurers had to do this from time immemorial, but I've been retired from the industry a while and only briefly handled private insurances of any type anyway.

Or are the last insurer saying they won't, or something?

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
I'm very confused.

Sadlonelygit wasn't being sarky I don't think?

The last but one's NCD would have been transferred to the last insurer eg you had Nil NCD when you started with the first, you had 3 years NCD when you got to the next one, now 12 months later, THEY give you proof of FOUR years NCD.

Certainly ALL motor insurers had to do this from time immemorial, but I've been retired from the industry a while and only briefly handled private insurances of any type anyway.

Or are the last insurer saying they won't, or something?
I to the impression the op was being sarcastic as he put EVERYBODY in capitals.

My last insurer don't ask for proof of no claims so the no claims I had before that wasn't carried over which is why I am saying you should always keep any documentation. Had my last insurer needed proof I wouldn't have had this problem as it would have been transferred over.
They are saying that they don't keep records after two years. They can confirm I was insured for 5 years but not that I hadn't had any claims even though I hadn't and have other insurance with them.
As I said I now have insurance through AIB who Jim told us about in a post recently.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When we changed back to Motorhoming last year after a few years with caravans, my NCD was transferred from my towing car, (which I had sold and, therefore, no longer needed to insure), to the M/H. No problems.

Insured through Camping and Caravanning Club.:thumb:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I thought that these days all insurers share information. I'm sure they do for claims. I have heard of an instance where they accepted a declaration of NCB in lieu of actual proof.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we had exactly the same happen to us the insurers we went with didnt ask for proof just taking your word for what you had we stayed with them for three years and when we wanted to change they would only give us proof of the three years with them and by that time we had no idea where we were previously

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back