Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Varies
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2008
Has anyone any experience of replacing their motorhome carpet with Altro flooring or similar.I am interested to know whether you did it yourself or had it done professionally.I ask as I am taken aback at a quote I have been given.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No, not with that product.. just Googled it and it looks superb.. but have replaced carpets in lots of motorhomes and caravans with vinyl floor covering..

why they fit carpet is beyond me.. think it's a British thing, don't see it on many continental vans or if you do it's loose fitted..

out of interest, how much was the quote and for how many square meters?

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
No experience with motorhomes but my husband recommends it all the time for wet room floors, especially with his elderly or disabled customers. It's excellent safety flooring, but he does use a professional company to fit it.
Did you get a quote from a standard carpet/flooring fitter?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Want to take the carpet out of our MH, but just plain board under it, so need some kind of covering and a good fitter in the west yorkshire area....anyone know of anyone ? will be watching this post with interest....

OP
OP
G

Goronwy

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Varies
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2008
No, not with that product.. just Googled it and it looks superb.. but have replaced carpets in lots of motorhomes and caravans with vinyl floor covering..

why they fit carpet is beyond me.. think it's a British thing, don't see it on many continental vans or if you do it's loose fitted..

out of interest, how much was the quote and for how many square meters?
It's 6 feet by 3feet with a few spaces and angles that are shorter,I guess 3 sq meters would have done it.I was quoted £88+vat to supply and approx £600 to fit.The quote was from a motorhome conversion workshop. I think I'll ask around to see what a carpet fitter might charge.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It's 6 feet by 3feet with a few spaces and angles that are shorter,I guess 3 sq meters would have done it.I was quoted £88+vat to supply and approx £600 to fit.The quote was from a motorhome conversion workshop. I think I'll ask around to see what a carpet fitter might charge.

wow.. that is extortionate for fitting..

yes .. do shop around, I'd have thought £150 - £200 for fitting .. £300 tops

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
As a guide, it costs around £450 for the supply and fitting of altro marine (anti slip) for about 4sqm. This includes coved edges, where it is heat welded in the corners.

Hope this helps?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi fitted it into latest transit (see below) also made a wet room with it in the tranny-- It's easy to cock it up but provided you have plenty of stanley knife blades and are not afraid to change them regular you should be OK --I also have a mate who will fit it quite cheaply (y) if you are stuck --As a alternative try looking at VINYL PLANK type flooring as this comes in 4 ins wide strips,very hard wearing and because it's only 4ins wide very easy to cut and glue down in awkward places --
I have a piece of Altro in a nice speckled white from a job I did @ 2mtrs x 2.4 mtrs and a couple of blue ish ones @ around 2 mtrs x 1 mtrs leftover from the transit-see pics of conversion below for color---After the weekend pm me and if you want I can arrange for any of it to be professionally fitted at my house over a weekend /time to be arranged /should take an hour or 2 :)
Don't know if you can get to the old forum/garage but there are pics of the vinyl plank flooring on my van in there,or do a search on my posts and you should find pics on there as well--I can take pics when I get down to Devon if I can figure out how to post them or maybe Roger will do it for me :)
terry

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
just be aware that Altro, because it is a non slip material is an absolute sod to clean, especially where you have a lot of foot traffic.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Had mine done by a carpet fitter. It wasn't too expensive though I can't remember how much now. It needs quite a lot of the floor covering though because it is a strange shape, and you don't want joins in it. Probably less than half of what was needed ended up on the floor.

petensal

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since Sept 2009
I fit altro flooring quite often, in fact just recently completed a contract for 16 disabled shower rooms.
The price you've been quoted for the material seems reasonable depending on the type of Altro you are looking at, cost for fitting seems extortionate but without seeing where it is to be fitted its hard to comment.
Another thought though is why Altro, its more of a commercial product and maybe overkill in a motorhome, have you considered a decent quality cusionfloor?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back