Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Due to the Hymer being a German import i dont know which fuse is which, Does anyone know which fuse will disconnect the alternator charging the habitation batteries Please!

Patrick

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Having studied my instruction leaflet and wiring diagram for the EBL99 (which is in German), I cannot identify the relevant fuse. Since the whole unit contains several charge relays, fuses etc. I suggest you e-mail Schaudt and talk to Sterling. They must have had experience of this.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Patrick

Not having a Hymer can't be specific, the first place I'd look is beside the alternator, there is usually an in-line fuse in the cable feeding the habitation batteries..

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
what are you trying to do patrick?

Hi Ice,

I have done away with the batteries under the front seats, they were on their last legs, so have fitted 2 X 220 amph in the garage and fitted a Sterling battery to battery charger, the problem with the hymer is it uses and elctroblock which has a built in charger. the big issue is, my manual is all in German and the wire that charges the old leisure’s is the same wire that feeds all the 12 volt system in the van, I have to connect this wire to the new batteries and in doing so it will charge the new leisure’s at the same time as the new Sterling system, i would think combined it would boil the batteries. If i can identify the main charger fuse i can disconnect the old charging system and still use the wire for the habitation 12 volt system.

Hope someone can help!!!!!!!!!!!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Patrick, did you try e-mailing Schaudt like I suggested? The'yre pretty good usually and will normally e-mail you an english language manual in PDF format.

D.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Ice,

I have done away with the batteries under the front seats, they were on their last legs, so have fitted 2 X 220 amph in the garage and fitted a Sterling battery to battery charger, the problem with the hymer is it uses and elctroblock which has a built in charger. the big issue is, my manual is all in German and the wire that charges the old leisure’s is the same wire that feeds all the 12 volt system in the van, I have to connect this wire to the new batteries and in doing so it will charge the new leisure’s at the same time as the new Sterling system, i would think combined it would boil the batteries. If i can identify the main charger fuse i can disconnect the old charging system and still use the wire for the habitation 12 volt system.

Hope someone can help!!!!!!!!!!!

Whilst you are e-mailing Schaudt Patrick, you might like to check whether the standard EBL is up to the task of charging 440Ah of batteries. If you have the EBL99 (which I have) it contains an integrated charger module LAS 1218 built into it. This is also available as a stand-alone unit and the recommended battery size for this is 55 - 180Ah according to Schaudt's UK leaflet. There is a facility to add a second LAS 1218 to your existing EBL in order to increase the charge-rate on hook-up. I believe it links into connector block 7 on the front of the EBL, but obviously you would need to get professional advice on this.

Philip

P

petes

Deleted User
schaudt

Patrick if you would like to drop me an email at

pete.schofield@live .co.uk

I will send you the EBL99 manual in english.

Also if you sort out the problem at the EBL end I would be interested. I have the same problem.

Pete

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
may be of no use whatsoever but my kontiki has two relay's connected to the engine battery(next to the battery) which is triggered by the alternator starting to charge.
one controls the charge

the other does the same for the fridge.

engine off...relay open.....leisure batt not charging
run engine...relay closed.....leisure batt charging

just a thought.

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi Patrick, did you try e-mailing Schaudt like I suggested? The'yre pretty good usually and will normally e-mail you an english language manual in PDF format.

D.
#
Hi dave, yes i sent them an email, they replied asking the modle of the EBL, i didn't have it at the time just sent anohter with the numbers, it's EBL-104-3.

Fingers crossed they get back soon.

I have been told that i can use the two systems at the same time. My wory was that the Sterling charger is 50Amp and would it boil my batteries having the ordanary charger is still charging at the same time!

Patrick

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Patrick, the two chargers might work together but the advice from Sterling is to disconnect the original alternator charging circuit to the leisure batteries. I doubt they'd "boil" the leisure batteries as this is more to do with voltage than current but you never know. General thinking is that the two systems can "confuse" each other if used in tandem.

D.

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
may be of no use whatsoever but my kontiki has two relay's connected to the engine battery(next to the battery) which is triggered by the alternator starting to charge.
one controls the charge

the other does the same for the fridge.

engine off...relay open.....leisure batt not charging
run engine...relay closed.....leisure batt charging

just a thought.

Hi Papa,

Thats just what the spak is going to do!
Has said he wants to put a 50 AMP relay in line with the main wire that used to go to the old leisure's this will switch of the charging to the batteries while the engine is running but still allow the alternator to run the electrics while the engine is running, this will let the step, fridge and other systems. when i turn of the engine it will make the connection to the batteries and all will run as normal.

The reason for such big batteries is i like wild camping, the sterling will give 99% full batteries and condition them. the ordanary chargers will only charge a battery to 80% and it will sufficate as the ordanary charger cant put in the firs stage high amp like the seterling will.

Patrick

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi Patrick, the two chargers might work together but the advice from Sterling is to disconnect the original alternator charging circuit to the leisure batteries. I doubt they'd "boil" the leisure batteries as this is more to do with voltage than current but you never know. General thinking is that the two systems can "confuse" each other if used in tandem.

D.

Hi Dave

Thats just what the spak is going to do!
Has said he wants to put a 50 AMP relay in line with the main wire that used to go to the old leisure's this will switch of the charging to the batteries while the engine is running but still allow the alternator to run the electrics while the engine is running, this will let the step, fridge and other systems. when i turn of the engine it will make the connection to the batteries and all will run as normal.

The reason for such big batteries is i like wild camping, the sterling will give 99% full batteries and condition them. the ordanary chargers will only charge a battery to 80% and it will sufficate as the ordanary charger cant put in the firs stage high amp like the seterling will.

Patrick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back