Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Got to love it ,, Does not post to N.Ireland , guess ill get them delivered to my sis in Nottingham and then pick them up when i'm over there next month, or see if i can source something simular locally , but im sure i'd pay and arm and a leg for 4 :)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Also is there much involved in changing the pay load your MH can carry , and does it involve getting a special driving licence.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Also is there much involved in changing the pay load your MH can carry , and does it involve getting a special driving licence.
You should use the forum search there are dozens of threads already on weight or start a fresh one

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
just been reading one since posting that ,, sounds like a minefield <>

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Keen this @Bart fella ain't he?:D:D:D Need to get him to a rally.

Trev old son, SLOW DOWN. Get a couple of trips over first to see what you REALLY need; motorhomes can get very expensive and too many of us have loads of gear stored away which we thought we needed and never have. I'm not saying you don't need the stuff you're talking about, but now you're looking at weight upgrades? Come along to a couple of meets and chat face-to-face with your "heroes"!

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Keen this @Bart fella ain't he?:D:D:D Need to get him to a rally.

Trev old son, SLOW DOWN. Get a couple of trips over first to see what you REALLY need; motorhomes can get very expensive and too many of us have loads of gear stored away which we thought we needed and never have. I'm not saying you don't need the stuff you're talking about, but now you're looking at weight upgrades? Come along to a couple of meets and chat face-to-face with your "heroes"!
Lol thats me all over i need a set of brakes :)
for me i don't wanna be tied to an EHU , whats the usual price of a site per night with hook up ?? £20 ?? ( i'm just guessing as its been like 10 years since we had a touring caravan ) , anyways £20 per night x 20 nights = £400 , well theres a B2B charger and a battery plus you can take them with you if you change MH & you are not tied down.
When i bought the MH i read about payloads .. but since then totally forgot about it until tonight :rolleyes: when i was thinking shall i get 2 or four batteries , thats when i asked if there was much involved in increasing the payload that you can carry , as if its a hassle and costs loads , then ill look at what i have on board.
Now taking the MH to a weighbridge is at the front of my memory again :)
I'm sure everything will be just Alright LOL :D:D:D

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Anyone tried or heard of these batteries before ? i notice only 2 year warranty compared to 4 years for the Hankook ones , but realistlly who is gonna pay to post back a batery to RMA it.
Seems i can get them delivered to N.Ireland included in price

The 125 AH version
Amazon product ASIN B00WQ0J92W
Or the 130 AH version
Amazon product ASIN B01DT5GA7E
Or locally from Halfords
http://www.halfords.com/camping-lei...halfords-leisure-battery-115-ah#reviewDetails

Anyone any experience with any of these batteries ? or can tell by looking at their specs if there are bad / ok / or good

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Check they'll fit your battery box(es) - larger capacity batteries tend to be, well, larger! (but not all, of course).

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Techno Andy would i be cheaper / best for me to buy the 25mm2 leads pre made or make them myself would need to buy a crimper.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I can't answer that you'll have to do your own comparisons
I make my own but I use my tools more than once.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
are the terminals on the B2B charger and the screw terminals on batteries M 8 or M 10 anyone know ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Havnt studied all the posts on this thread, but havnt seen anywhere what you need all this power for, we have two 80 amp battery's and two 100 w solar panels, never hook up, and go for weeks on end, just can't anywhere near use all the electric, I would think as someone else said , go out and use it and see how you get on before shelling out hundreds of pounds on something you may not need(y):)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
No.no no. First thing you need to do is spend thousands on kit you don't really need then when you've worked out you've wasted thousands of pounds or punts keep it to yourself as everyone else will think you're loaded or daft or in my case poor and daft. Simples

premiere99

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
Medomsley, County Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
30+
@Techno Andy would i be cheaper / best for me to buy the 25mm2 leads pre made or make them myself would need to buy a crimper.
Andy has his own kit to make his leads but he does a lot of them, for the occasional job I would recommend Neat Electric (Willington) on eBay, I have used his services quite a lot and always get an excellent cable, he will make to measure 110, 170, 240 and 345 amp cable with 6,8,10 or 12mm either end or with a battery terminal one or both ends, very flexible cable in both red and black. I required a cable to join two 6v Trojan batteries which I measured at 151mm centre to centre of 8mm ring terminals, I got exactly that within two days and it was 100% as is his eBay feedback. Also free carriage to N. Ireland.

<Broken link removed>

Clive

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Havnt studied all the posts on this thread, but havnt seen anywhere what you need all this power for, we have two 80 amp battery's and two 100 w solar panels, never hook up, and go for weeks on end, just can't anywhere near use all the electric, I would think as someone else said , go out and use it and see how you get on before shelling out hundreds of pounds on something you may not need(y):)
Ok so atm i have 1 x 110 ah battery and the standard 10amp charger , all from the MH as standard.
I am going away for 2 weeks and plan to use an EHU as little as possible.
Our son is going with us so he will probably use the 55AHs in 1 day :)
So without using an EHU just how do you suppose im going to recharge my battery ?

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Andy has his own kit to make his leads but he does a lot of them, for the occasional job I would recommend Neat Electric (Willington) on eBay, I have used his services quite a lot and always get an excellent cable, he will make to measure 110, 170, 240 and 345 amp cable with 6,8,10 or 12mm either end or with a battery terminal one or both ends, very flexible cable in both red and black. I required a cable to join two 6v Trojan batteries which I measured at 151mm centre to centre of 8mm ring terminals, I got exactly that within two days and it was 100% as is his eBay feedback. Also free carriage to N. Ireland.

<Broken link removed>

Clive
Thanks Clive for the link :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ok so atm i have 1 x 110 ah battery and the standard 10amp charger , all from the MH as standard.
I am going away for 2 weeks and plan to use an EHU as little as possible.
Our son is going with us so he will probably use the 55AHs in 1 day :)
So without using an EHU just how do you suppose im going to recharge my battery ?
Well as I said , a couple of solar panels(y)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Solar panels v B2B battery , both cost about the same ,, B2B battery charger easier to install & REMOVE , yes if all goes good and finances permitting then solar panels will get installed over the winter along with an inverter , for next years journeys :D when hopefully the real adventures will begin :Grin::Grin:

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
To my mind the B2B comes first as we move almost daily so the engine does its work. In addition the solar is not so good in the UK especially in winter but is good abroad in the summer. It depends on your pattern of use. The B2B is an easy quick fix with extra batteries and an inverter but the solar is a bit more work to get organised and plumbed into the van and the electrical system. Just my opinion of course.,

Our Bolero is same layout. Sterling B2B was first thing we added, then an extra battery (fitted in a new battery box under the offside bench). That proved good for around 6 days so eventually we fitted a 100w solar and find we're now totally self-sufficient. Also fitted a battery mate to keep the vehicle battery topped up when static. With this setup you shouldn't need to worry about the vehicles own battery charger, 10amps ought to be perfectly adequate.

As regards the alternator, when ours failed (nothing to do with B2B) the garage wouldn't order a replacement until they'd identified the unit actually fitted as there 3 different alternatives.

I have decided to go the same way , i have ordered 3 x 130 AH batteries and 1 x Sterling BBW1260.

P.S of the 3 batteries 1 will be replacing the existing leisure battery , then the other two will be additional leisure batteries , Am i correct in thinking that i do not have to change the Cab battery as well ?? ,, with it not being new sure it will not effect the new leisure bank ??

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Solar panels v B2B battery , both cost about the same ,, B2B battery charger easier to install & REMOVE , yes if all goes good and finances permitting then solar panels will get installed over the winter along with an inverter , for next years journeys :D when hopefully the real adventures will begin :Grin::Grin:
B2b , got to have engine running, solar just gets on with it(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have decided to go the same way , i have ordered 3 x 130 AH batteries and 1 x Sterling BBW1260.

P.S of the 3 batteries 1 will be replacing the existing leisure battery , then the other two will be additional leisure batteries , Am i correct in thinking that i do not have to change the Cab battery as well ?? ,, with it not being new sure it will not effect the new leisure bank ??
I am not criticiseing your choice but still don't understand what you need all this electric for, we can park up for weeks and never run out of electric with two 80 amp battery's and two solar panels, as I said in another thread a while ago we have an embarrassment of electric , rarely goes below 13 volts , but with this arrangement you are having , you are still going to have to run the van to charge them and have you proper places to put them without venting into the van, never mind the extra weight.
As I said not criticism but just trying to help.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
As I said not criticism but just trying to help.
Np thanks for the info , that is what the forum is for :)
Like i said this is the start of it for me , the end product i want it to be able to run an inverter for a short time to power the likes of the Bosses hairdryer :) , the microwave or any other 240V item that we find we must use, ideally this would be done via solar / batteries , but at some stage i'm sure i would end up using either a genny or a B2B charger to recharge my leisure bank due to over usage.
And ATM i'm not well enough to be climbing up onto the roof of the MH to install solar , but hopefully in a few months ill be able to do this , but not now in time for this summer.
So this way works out best for me for what i want the MH to be able to handle in the end.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Our set up is as follows.........

2 x 6v traction batteries @225A (good for deep discharge).
2 x 85A solar panels.
1 x Sterling B2B 12/50
1 x Electrolux Traveller generator (inherited and inbuilt).

@chaser. The B2B comes into it's own, especially during inclement weather (been a lot of that right across Europe recently) when travelling from location to location, and has only ever been used when stationary, to power items through the inverter, when the genny was "Off The Run", or when our last lot of leisure batteries were giving up................hence the traction batteries now.

We are totally self sufficient, and it's the water tank capacity and the ability to empty the cassette, which governs our length of stay anywhere.

@Bart. Good luck with your energy requirements. I too would have the B2B first, and solar to follow. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back