Alternatives to SKY (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Hi all, we are looking at alternatives to sky, we currently have our phone, broadband and sky through them but it's costing £80+ per month

we hardly watch satelite programs anymore but like the pause / record and the catch up facility, do not have a landline phone anymore so it just supplies the internet

what do others do please?

Andy

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We use Freesat / Freeview for TV
Plus net for web and mail and phoneline (for internet)

EDIT we pay less than £20 a month too

We don't have Fibre on our estate BUT there is fibre to the box at the end of the road so we have the Fibre to the Box option

When we had BT for phone we got 2Mbps now we have the new system we get 32Mbps

BUT I will add if you travel you will get a better reception of sky channels as opposed to freesat down South France ? Spain due to the footprint changes last year

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
what do others do please?

Thats a loaded question, however not wishing to sound condescending I get out in my moho and enjoy life and never watch or own a tv. I have a vast collection of HD movies on various drives and take a selection to watch on a laptop.

When at home I do things, which does not involve watching tv. If I were you i would give it up and see what happens.... you might enjoy all that spare time and find its a life changer for the better.

If still addicted to tv use the various internet players out there like bbc iplayer for your fix of chewing gum for the eyes. or look for international stations that stream, or netflix, or amazon or the thousand others that are out there some free even!

Try radio drama, the pictures are better!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We too are off loading sky when contract is up, we pay around £60 a month, but are opting just for internet use, ditching the landline for phone and getting rid of TV, looking for alternatives also - sky is a rip off - just more channels = more crap !

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Freesat and freeview. Generally freeview is excellent in the uk. Don't bother to much with telly abroad.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We ditched sky TV a long time ago and swapped to virgin but ditched that too about 18 months ago as cost a fortune and 500 channels of nothing to watch!! We do have virgin broadband and telephone but contract now up so looking for broadband alternatives and will probably ditch home phone.

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Thats a loaded question, however not wishing to sound condescending I get out in my moho and enjoy life and never watch or own a tv. I have a vast collection of HD movies on various drives and take a selection to watch on a laptop.

When at home I do things, which does not involve watching tv. If I were you i would give it up and see what happens.... you might enjoy all that spare time and find its a life changer for the better.

If still addicted to tv use the various internet players out there like bbc iplayer for your fix of chewing gum for the eyes. or look for international stations that stream, or netflix, or amazon or the thousand others that are out there some free even!

Sorry I did not word my question properly, meant to say we hardly watch any tv now but swmbo occasionally likes a drama on tv, so the catch up function and record facility would be handy, binned the home phone ages ago so got the landline for internet access only

Our mh had oyster when purchased but has had minimal use, luckily I weaned her off the few crappy soaps swmbo watched when we first met (y)

Andy

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Freesat and freeview. Generally freeview is excellent in the uk. Don't bother to much with telly abroad.
Can you record / pause and catch up on freesat / freeview?

Andy

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
You can buy a recording box like a humax or loads of other types and brands that will record, do pause etc for freesat and freeview. Its like the skybox, only its yours. Currys have them take a trip down there and get a demo. Do your homework and get cheap chinese one or an android box for your tv.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Can you record / pause and catch up on freesat / freeview?

Andy

Yes, my basic humax records to an external USB disk. Other models have them built in. Not all sat recorders display the freesat programme menu I believe.
Even though its on an external USB disk, you can't play it any other way than through the humax, as its encoded.
I use kodi to record with.:)

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Freesat/Freeview/Chromecast/Now box, fulfills all our needs. We do not pay for any 'on demand' TV generally recording or using catch-up services. Sky has been a rip-off for a long time. Freesat is excellent, over 200 channels and our Humax Foxsat box has pause and rewind, records two programs at a time and you could still watch a third on Freeview.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I am glad you didn't wish to sound condescending.

You made a pretty good attempt at it though.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We also ditched Sky because of the cost and the fact that they stopped their 3D channel, the only reason we got Sky in the first place was a very good deal and 3D content.
Now, we have Freesat in France. Similar amount of repeats and rubbish programmes as Sky, but free. We don't have a TV in the van now, but had 4 in the Winnegabgo..........

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
I am glad you didn't wish to sound condescending.

You made a pretty good attempt at it though.

As much as we all want, sometimes wishes just don't come true do they?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Got rid of Sky last month.
92 pound a month saved. (and that was just for TV!)
Rang up BT Broadband and for the princely sum of 5 pounds a month and a one off payment of 9.99 I got their recording rewinding box for all of freeview stuff.
I have just taken out Netflix for the sum of 5.99 a month and found out there is shed loads of TV on there
Just got to get the wife to chill now and I could be in !

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thats a loaded question, however not wishing to sound condescending I get out in my moho and enjoy life and never watch or own a tv. I have a vast collection of HD movies on various drives and take a selection to watch on a laptop. When at home I do things, which does not involve watching tv. If I were you i would give it up and see what happens.... you might enjoy all that spare time and find its a life changer for the better. If still addicted to tv use the various internet players out there like bbc iplayer for your fix of chewing gum for the eyes. or look for international stations that stream, or netflix, or amazon or the thousand others that are out there some free even! Try radio drama, the pictures are better!

Sky is indeed a rip off. I worked in editing there for many years, talk about cheapest programmes they could buy! total sh!t and the public all fell for it!

What @Chris said. (y) Sky is like Facebook, as soon as someone asks a question out come all the naysayers with their opinion on what we should be doing when away in our vans and anyone who happens to use the service is a complete idiot. Now that is bordering on Rule 1.
:lipssealed:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
open box?