Alternatives To Oyster Sat Dish (1 Viewer)

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Anybody had any experience of alternatives to the Oyster self-seeking Sat Dishes like the Telco?
It's been suggested to me that I should fit the alternative as it's cheaper;
Would be grateful for any suggestions

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just recently fitted an Broken Link Removed supplied by @eddievanbitz and I am really impressed..

It was easy to install , came with everything you need for a DIY, Sikaflex, etc ..

Install took about 2 hours.. most of the time deciding where to fix it to the roof..

From pressing the 'on' button it is up and locked on in around 35 sec..

It comes with a Lifetime guarantee.

A nice bit of well made kit.. you won't be disappointed..

I also bought theBroken Link Removed FTA decoder from vanbitz

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
in my opinion none of the other motorised dishes come close to the oyster. when you strip one down they are so well put together with quality materials. i have worked on most of the other makes and i would definately spend the extra bit for an oyster every time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We have a Maxi view and its been fine

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had an Oyster on the last van, now have a Snipe, the performance of the little Snipe is not far short of the 85cm Oyster and has the advantage you can use it in high winds. Not bad for something a quarter of the price.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We had the original Snipe version fitted in April, got it new for a very competitive price from the inter web, shipped from Germany with 2 years warranty. To be honest, whilst it does work pretty well, I can see us having to change it in the next couple of years - a couple of incidents with it not parking correctly makes me think so...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I looked at several systems.. from the cheapest to the most expensive.. . did a lot of research and read up on them.. my decision wasn't based on cost, the main criteria for me was Quality, Ease of Use, Reliability, Guarantee and Backup .. cost wasn't a factor.

The Alden ticked all the boxes and after speaking to Eddie, (who knows thing or two about sat systems,) I decided on the Alden.

Will give a full review when I return from France in a months time..

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have bought off eBay the Max View dome, we have just returned from Holland and received English TV all the 2 weeks, very please with it

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We've got the 40cm Roadpro satellite dome only because that's what our dealer supplied and fitted. It performs as well as the Oyster we had on the last van with the added advantage there's no need to fold it in high winds. Disadvantage, if it is, it takes the van over the "magic" 3 metres.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We have the Mobilsat system fitted ( 80cm dish, but rated at 85cm dish ) and use it all over EU and never had problems getting Sky UK with it. 20/30 seconds locked on picture running.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We had the Mobilsat on our last van for two years and never failed to watch Sky all the way down to the Algarve, we now have the Snipe and that has worked fine down to just below Limoges which is the furthest south we have been as yet Our first van had an Oyster on and it could be a nuisance in breezy gusts your money so your choice

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
a rather sweeping statement.. have you any experience with Alden ?

do Oyster come with a lifetime warranty ?
you missed out the bit "in my opinion"
plenty of experience with alden , they dont like the wind and will start to get very wobbly if used too much when windy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Will give a full review when I return from France in a months time..

as promised..

very impressed, no problem locking on to Astra E 28.. all the way to south of France.. only once did it fail and that was due to being surrounded by tall trees.. and no problem when it was windy ..

While at Mimizan I got chatting to a chap with a brand new Oyster 85cm dish who had problems getting it to lock on , he finally managed by moving his van a few meters out, finding the signal then reversing back into the pitch .. he was impressed by the Alden's speed at finding the signal and ease of use .

so thumbs up for Alden (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back