Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
NO toilet blue
NO Sog
NO Heavy washing liquid

1 little, light. clean, inexpensive, plastic tub of tablets.

up to 200 cassettes of pooh treated for about £11

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My view has always been that SOGs and Thetford's own ventilation system, which I have, just introduces a negative pressure that makes sure the smell does not get into the Moho. Instead it gets blown outside for your neighbour to enjoy.
I like to line mine up with @cruiser door. Then a good Indian :xrofl:

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Is the extraction fan by the flusher on the hymer a sog system?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Is the extraction fan by the flusher on the hymer a sog system?
The word SOG is like "Hoover", it is a trade name of a product that has become synonymous in many people's mind with the function of that product. Thetford's extract fan carries out the same function as a SOG, in that it extracts air out of the cassette. The only difference is the way that it works. Thetford's fan switches on when you give a first press of the flush button, which I always do before I open the blade. SOG's fan switches on when you open the blade. Thetford's one uses the vent tube already built into the cassette for the C250. SOG's one usually requires you to drill a hole somewhere in the cassette for the ventilation tube. Thetford's one vents through the floor. SOG's are more flexible as to where they vent.

19 kenny 42

Free Member
Aug 2, 2017
ackworth yorks
Funster No
MH
hobby 700
Exp
what made me come a member was about cleaning toilets,they said w5 scale remover from lidals was good turned out to be fab, i put 1 tablet in every time i empty the toilet keeps it clean inside

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
put 3 or 4 Brewers Yeast tablets in the empty cassette after emptying
3 in summer
4 in winter
They have to work a little harder in the cold weather

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We have used the blue chemical and the pink stuff in the flush water. Very expensive so tried Formil Bio. That wasn't too successful though maybe, despite rinsing out the cassette thoroughly, we hadn't removed all the blue chemical.
However, this winter, in Portugal, our Dutch neighbours told us about using white vinegar. They use this and claimed it works very well, no odour, safe for septic tanks and, best of all, cheap as chips. We tried this buying litre bottles of lemon scented vinegar for 99c in Aldi, Lidl and other supermarkets. We've found that a capful (the Thetford cassette cap) in a litre of water (approx) works well.
Anyone else used white vinegar?
Am thinking of trying the Brewers Yeast tablets next time to compare. Do these tablets deal with odour?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I hate the smell of blue and green so have used the bio-liquid and as it is usually me that does the cassette I don't mind the smell of the bio treated effluent. The capsules are not as good as the straight liquid (my opinion only) but the capsules are more convenient.

I have a mild perfume aversion and, for me, Elsan Organic works well for both the top & bottom of my thetford and my nose doesn't mind :)

The Thetfords I have purchased have had a bottle of blue, a bottle of pick and the instruction booklet in plastic packaging that stinks horribly - this goes straight in the outside bin without being opened!

Just goes to show, we are all different....

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Be a bit concerned how white vinegar would affect the seals etc.

We use a capful of Tesco Bio Washing Liquid per charge. No smell and keeps everything sparkly clean - the downside is the effectiveness doesn't last as long as the blue or green stuff but we don't like their smell anyway. Just empty the cassette whenever we get the chance and daily if on a site. Also, following another tip on here, we have a spray bottle of diluted "pink stuff" which we use during the night, when the pump is switched off, or when we're trying to economise on water e.g. aires, wild camping etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back