Alternative to Crashdata (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Anyone on here used another company other than Crashdata they can recommend please? Just wondered if there were different options offering a good service.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Airbag repair service from a quick Google.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C
Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
I used Crashdata in the end. Very quick service. Posted 2pm Tuesday and delivered back to me by 11am Thursday.

The analysis that came back was everything ok but battery at 14.4v. Battery outside of spec both high and low power. I called them to ask for advice and got a particularly unhelpful and fairly brusque woman tell me to get my battery checked. I explained it is only one year old and asked what might cause the issue but she was not helpful and would not let me speak to anyone technical.

So my question is given that the MH is pretty much permanently on EHU could this cause a spike in the battery voltage?

Also should I disconnect the EHU for a period before starting the engine?

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Just had the same issue but my voltage spike was 14.2 according to CTD.

I thought up to 14.4 was normal when the alternator was engaged.

sounds like a common fault, just hope it’s not one that raises its head to often.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have read that the spikes are caused by having a low battery, not sure how that works to be honest. Also It has been spoken about on here to turn the ignition on and wait a while before trying to start.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I used Crashdata in the end. Very quick service. Posted 2pm Tuesday and delivered back to me by 11am Thursday.

The analysis that came back was everything ok but battery at 14.4v. Battery outside of spec both high and low power. I called them to ask for advice and got a particularly unhelpful and fairly brusque woman tell me to get my battery checked. I explained it is only one year old and asked what might cause the issue but she was not helpful and would not let me speak to anyone technical.

So my question is given that the MH is pretty much permanently on EHU could this cause a spike in the battery voltage?

Also should I disconnect the EHU for a period before starting the engine?
Even though it is quite new your starter battery might be faulty; or, one of its terminal clamps was a bit loose when the event happened.

I had a similar printout from CrashData. In my case the most likely cause was 4 year old battery, not holding charge too well, in a van that had been undriven for 10 days. The voltage must have dropped too far even though the engine seemed to start OK. Later I did a test to see if I could replicate what happened. Nominal voltage 12.7v so that seemed OK. The glow plugs and starter motor load caused the battery voltage to drop to below 10v before the engine started. Then it went up to 14.2v when the alternator kicked in. Maybe that swing in the voltage caused the airbag ECU to have a head fit. After CrashData repaired the ECU, I decided to replace the old battery anyway.

I can't comment on whether you should disconnect the EHU before starting the engine as a matter of good practice. I always disconnect it and put the EHU lead away first, so there is certainly a delay of 10 minutes or longer that would allow the battery voltage to fall from about 13.2v although perhaps still a bit above 12.7v by the time the starter motor is engaged. As a belt-and-braces approach I like to put the van on EHU for about 3 or 4 hours to ensure that the starter battery is fully charged, at least the day before I am going to drive the van again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back