Alternative leisure batteries. (3 Viewers)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I bought some replacement batteries yesterday for our mobility scooters. Lucas 80 amp sealed lead acid at £90 each. They were half the size of a normal 110 amp leisure battery and twice the weight. These batteries are designed to be discharged and charged many times and I got to thinking just maybe they would make a good alternative to the bog standard leisure battery. What do you think.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I believe that plenty of weight indicates a good leisure battery, yours will be called a traction battery I imagine which are supposed to be good for leisure use. Our Gels are only 80ah but as heavy as most 110ah.

Martin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dave, unless the on board charger is specifically designed to detect and switch over to gel type batteries they will almost certainly take an early bath if used in place of wet lead acid ones mate.. All a bit technical but the way gels charge is completely different to standard units.

Having said that, many charging systems in newer vans are indeed auto-detecting for battery type and if someone does have that system then your suggestion is a damned good one ! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Dave, unless the on board charger is specifically designed to detect and switch over to gel type batteries they will almost certainly take an early bath if used in place of wet lead acid ones mate.. All a bit technical but the way gels charge is completely different to standard units.

Having said that, many charging systems in newer vans are indeed auto-detecting for battery type and if someone does have that system then your suggestion is a damned good one ! (y)

Hi Jaws

Dave is posting about sealed lead acid mobility scooter batteries I muddied the water mentioning Gel and we have the charger settings for these, they are only 8 years old at the moment so will see how they last.

Martin

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
These Lucas batteries are not gells, they are sealed lead acid.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I did'nt see any ref in the OP to gel batteries
So agree 100% with you Dave, as already stated traction batteries can and do take the hammer
If they are gel see J,s advise re charger type
G

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The big help on these batteries is that they are VAT free and obviously made for the job. They are built for abuse and although I do not abuse my batteries there are occasions that they will be discharged considerably more than normal.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Switch a switch on.

Does the item it is connected to work?

If yes, all is well.

If no then life gets a tad more complicated but properly check if there is room for the car and a ride on mower too.

Please destroy this message after reading.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Switch a switch on.

Does the item it is connected to work?

If yes, all is well.

If no then life gets a tad more complicated but properly check if there is room for the car and a ride on mower too.

Please destroy this message after reading.

JJ :cool:

Your goat is in training. Not being fed for a week.

Reactions: JJ
Oct 8, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Ravenna
Exp
newguy
As a motircyclist I fell in love with Odyssey type batteries. Are they suitable as leisure batteries.

Steve.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back