Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Maybe try and find a site with a bit of atmosphere and company, you will feel less isolated then, don't know the area so cant help.

I could suggest you get up to Benidorm as its busy all year round and lots of pleasant funster's around...But as this will generate a lot of negative remarks from the less discerning.......I cant really do dat :D

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I could suggest you get up to Benidorm as its busy all year round and lots of pleasant funster's around...But as this will generate a lot of negative remarks from the less discerning.......I cant really do dat :D

Stop stirring'!!!:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

OP
OP
M

mutley 150

Free Member
Dec 15, 2015
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
6 months
I have friends near benidorm so will be heading that way eventually.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Welcome to Fun, as you are finding out lots of reading and information so you know you are not alone, have a look at @ianthebuilder recent threads and dippingatoe blog , lots of interesting things and encouragement , keep posting and change the negative into a positive.:xThumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for all your comments and words of encouragement. I would love the co ordinates for the beach camping in Faro please. Thanks again everyone.
You don't need co ords just head for the airport then at the last roundabout before going into the departures take the first exit off and it takes you straight to faro beach, signposted, can't go wrong, quite a few there when we were there three weeks ago:xThumb:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you want to take a break when travelling to Benidorm, call into Camperstop Sierra Espuña at Totana on your way. If we're around we'll be happy to meet you.

Broken Link Removed. com

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi & welcome Mutley:hi:

I can only repeat what others have already said.....this is a great forum, someone is always around to chat to:smiley:

And as Carol has also mentioned - have a read of either thread by Ianthebuilder......similar situation to yourself.....and I'm sure it'll put a smile on your face.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Hi Mutley

I have been out of GB for around two months making my way slowly to Portugal,
The hardest thing is the loneliness ,but you do get use to it,I will eventually be in Portugal,but don,t know when,do you have an airs book on Spain and Portugal,lots of cheap places to stay.

Stick with it,!! Takes a bit of getting use to.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for all your comments and words of encouragement. I would love the co ordinates for the beach camping in Faro please. Thanks again everyone.
@mutley 150 coordinates for Faro Beach parking are N37°00.518' W007°59.717'
This is just an area of free parking without facilities although there is a public toilet block for water/black water disposal (cassette), you'll need length of hose and tap adapter, Grey water you will need to bucket. Few bars, coffee shop in area and greaaaat beaches.
The nearby camp site Camping Praia de Faro was a very tired, but clean, place with usual facilities when we last visited 2 years ago. Rumoured to be closing down. Coordinates N37°00.302' W007°59.387'. Cost about €8 EHU included.

Best of luck, enjoy,

Bryan

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Mutley and well done for getting this far. Lots of lovely places in Portugal, with plenty of
Funsters dotted around. There is at least 4 vans wandering around the Algarve that I know of, I am sure there are many more though. We will be making our way there in March, may be earlier if we don't go to Morroco.

If you fancy a site with a bit of social life, the Aire in Portimão has a little bar and is an easy walk to plenty of resturants and cafes, oh and a very nice, dog friendly beach. I seem to remember it's only €3 a day plus €2 for more water than you can get in your tank. Also Armaçã de Pèra has a nice beach side Aire. Silves is a lovely town and well worth spending a few days there at the lovely new Aire by the swimming pool. Cannot tell you what they charge as it was free in April/May when we were there but they were fitting a rising barrier so I assume they were going to start charging. Great chicken restaurants along the river front too.

There is also Pedros near Paderne, very good value and lots going on entertainment wise. Funsters always get a good welcome there. He also provides shopping trips so don't be put off by the remote location.

Just typing this is making me want to rush over to Portugal now, fantastic place!

Anything you need to know just ask away on here and answers will be forth coming from all angles.

JJ is ya man for local knowledge, but not cuisine......don't go there! :xsurprised:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I am in Portimao at the moment (I was at Faro airport yesterday after a weekend in London).

There are many super places to visit in this country.

Not sure exactly where I will be because I like to move around but if I get over that way (and if the love of my life, Princess Frankie, aka Yodeli, gives me permission), I could show you some places on your map that I like...

If you want to meet and chat with other motorhomers, I do know a few, given that I have been here at winter time for several years.

JJ :xcool:

@JJ @mutley 150 Permission given, and welcome from me too!

Amicalement

Frankie:xsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
JJ is ya man for local knowledge, but not cuisine......don't go there! :xsurprised:

Bloody libel!

I might not eat any of the wimpy, garlic fueled, Daily Mail Readers' rabbit food type dishes (much preferring rufty tufty, man sized, pies and sausages) but I know the places where they serve the woosie stuff!

JJ :xcool:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
@mutley 150 coordinates for Faro Beach parking are N37°00.518' W007°59.717'
This is just an area of free parking without facilities although there is a public toilet block for water/black water disposal (cassette), you'll need length of hose and tap adapter, Grey water you will need to bucket. Few bars, coffee shop in area and greaaaat beaches.
The nearby camp site Camping Praia de Faro was a very tired, but clean, place with usual facilities when we last visited 2 years ago. Rumoured to be closing down. Coordinates N37°00.302' W007°59.387'. Cost about €8 EHU included.

Best of luck, enjoy,

Bryan

Just be careful of wild camping in the Algarve. The GNR (police) could fine you if you show any camping activities, ie having chairs outside your van etc.

This year we have booked onto Camperstopmessines (who happens to be a member on here).Works out a good price, but thereis no electric hookup. You might want to try Mikkies place if you electric, there are fun members at both these sites at the moment, we are arriving on Monday, at the moment we are travelling through Spain and have stopped for a couple of nights on an aire to help Ianthebuilder with some touring advice.

If you need any help just ask, we can pm you our phone number.

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
M

mutley 150

Free Member
Dec 15, 2015
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
6 months
Thanks so much! I am on a campsite at moment which suits me for now and I will probably stay here until end of January! I have friend flying in on 7 th jan and some more a few days after they leave! It's in quarteira! Luck more than judgement how I found it but bloody relief when I did! My daughter will be here on Sunday and I have hired a car so we will tour about checking on some of the sites people have recommended! You guys are a great bunch! Thanks so much

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Hi Mutley, Just a thaught , a lady whose name on forum is JackieP is at this moment in Porto Covo not far from you went through a similar time of things recently may be worth sending her a personal message......Martin

OP
OP
M

mutley 150

Free Member
Dec 15, 2015
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
6 months
Hi Mutley

I have been out of GB for around two months making my way slowly to Portugal,
The hardest thing is the loneliness ,but you do get use to it,I will eventually be in Portugal,but don,t know when,do you have an airs book on Spain and Portugal,lots of cheap places to stay.

Stick with it,!! Takes a bit of getting use to.
I will stick with it Eve. My ever resourceful daughter is bringing all the aires Portugal and Spain with her along with a two pin adaptor for electrical hook up and gas thingy for lpg. Have managed to beg, steal or borrow so far! I will be in quarteira for at least the next few weeks currently on the Orbitur campsite but it's a bit pricey for my liking. Good place in terms of security etc but would like to get back to using the Aires again. I don't want to get too comfortable and static. After doing 15 years in a pub that's the last thing I want.

OP
OP
M

mutley 150

Free Member
Dec 15, 2015
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
6 months
Hi Mutley, Just a thaught , a lady whose name on forum is JackieP is at this moment in Porto Covo not far from you went through a similar time of things recently may be worth sending her a personal message......Martin
I'm still trying to find my way around this site and not sure how to look up other members? I'm not that good with computers. My daughter will be here Sunday and will hopefully help me navigate my way around it. It takes some patience on her part but she will get me there... I recognise the name Porto covo. May have been there, past through it or seen a sign. I will google it later. Thanks

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
@mutley 150
This is how to post a private message to a funster.
Right at the top of the front page you have a tool bar. At the bottom right is "alert" then "inbox" then your "username".
Click on Inbox
Then click on "Start a new conversation"
Enter the username (JacquieP for instance)and enter a title
Then click in the square under the title , and write your message.
Done!

Amicalement

Frankie:xsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back