LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hey Mutley, was just having a look at your pic of he Motorhome and noticed that you are parked near or under pine trees. Forgive me if I am trying to teach you to suck eggs, but just have a look up and scan the trees for Processional Caterpiller nests ( white cobweb orb shaped things) it's a bit early for them to be on the ground yet but worth being on your guard. You really wouldn't want your little dog or yourself to come into contact with them.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_processionary
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 5

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hey Mutley, was just having a look at your pic of he Motorhome and noticed that you are parked near or under pine trees. Forgive me if I am trying to teach you to suck eggs, but just have a look up and scan the trees for Processional Caterpiller nests ( white cobweb orb shaped things) it's a bit early for them to be on the ground yet but worth being on your guard. You really wouldn't want your little dog or yourself to come into contact with them.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_processionary
View attachment 86391 View attachment 86392
Agh....they look so sweet!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Oh dear......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.....I know Mutley has already replied but why on earth do you think either of them would want to jump straight back in?????:xblink::xeek::xdoh:

You're just an ol' romantic deep down:LOL::xwink:

Used to be a wedding planner. :xrofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
It's not my fault an eligible Batchelor in the form of @ianthebuilder comes on the scene and all the lady things go mad!....it's astonishng to be honest!:)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I wasn't aware of that at all. Thank you so much. I will keep my eye out in future and avoid those pine trees at all costs. Absolutely terrified of spiders and cobwebs.

No need to worry at all just be aware. The nests are really obvious when you see them and where as they are active in the winter they usually stay up in the trees, coming down to the ground in a procession in the early spring to feed and turn into moths. It's the hairs on the little blitters that you need to avoid, I think dogs have a worse reaction than humans. We just keep our dog on the lead if we see any, until we have left that area. They do next mainly in pines and occasionally other trees.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Hi Cossieg
Will be in Portugal in a few days,hope to see you both at some time, I decided that Spain,still has not changed that much,so making my way back to see if Portugal is still the place I remember and love.
Stop in Cabanas Eve and give us a shout!

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Ok I will
I am at Monte Gordo ,got to Portugalyesterday,doing my jobs today,years ago free camping here,not any more,Adam and Eve still open,so might go there next.
Not to bad a place looking at Spain across the river,plus there's a bar here as well,just a shame about the dirt ,€4.50 a night electric 2.50 for 12 hours,free internet!!
If any other Funsters around,this is where I will be at least for today.
Shopping done,gas done,now to tackle the rest,then I think I will deserve a G &T tonight.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
No need to worry at all just be aware. The nests are really obvious when you see them and where as they are active in the winter they usually stay up in the trees, coming down to the ground in a procession in the early spring to feed and turn into moths. It's the hairs on the little blitters that you need to avoid, I think dogs have a worse reaction than humans. We just keep our dog on the lead if we see any, until we have left that area. They do next mainly in pines and occasionally other trees.

You cannot miss the best,just like a ball of Cotten wool in the trees,if a dog so much as touchs one they are violently sick ,Oscar did it in Monchique years ago!.
Just don,t park the van by pine trees,usually,February to March,is the time they March.!!

OP
OP
M

mutley 150

Free Member
Dec 15, 2015
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
6 months
Im finding myself looking upwards every where i go. Sorry about the change of font or additional letters. My ipad keypad seems to have developed a mind of its own and is doing all sorts of random things.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Im finding myself looking upwards every where i go. Sorry about the change of font or additional letters. My ipad keypad seems to have developed a mind of its own and is doing all sorts of random things.
I suspect that in trying to do a capital "I" you hit the wrong button and turned the italics on!

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Mutley

There is a word that does not belong in anyone's vocabulary it's called WORRY,no such word!!!

Look how well you have done getting this far!,the hard part is over,just enjoy yourself,ask if you need help!

Time to enjoy yourself and leave all your W-----S behind you,will catch up as I move along the Algarve,I am east of Algarve ,just enjoy.
image.jpg

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Hello @mutley 150
I would recommend keeping a diary to write down your personal highs and lows. It gets it out of your system and when you come to read it in a year or so you'll be able to see you much you've achieved.
(I was going to say how far you'd come but I thought you could take that to mean miles):xgrin:

Good Luck on your travels from a 'right stop-at-home':xThumb:

Pamela

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Hi Mutley
I hope you had a good Christmas with your daughter!
Visitors coming out will also buck you up,
I went to Fuzeta for Christmas ,will be leaving to morrow I might go back to Tavera or move further down,not. Sure yet,will keep in touch.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Have a look at Algarvemotorhomepark in Falesia. Just down the road I think. Not expensive, dog friendly and out the back is the beach. There were a few there when we were a few weeks ago. Lovely place.
Hi Cossieg,went to look at Cabanas! All changed there now,I went to the site,very nice,but call me mean,begrudged paying €2.50 a day for my dog???? That's steep,the only way it would come down is if I stayed for a month! So I moved on to Fuzeta.leaving tomorrow not sure which way I am going,went on site forChristmas, think I might head for taveria again,enjoying catching up with some lovely places I know!! Will eventually see you both!

OP
OP
M

mutley 150

Free Member
Dec 15, 2015
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
6 months
There's been some changes to my situation. My husband ended up in hospital in Gaia and was very very sick. Thank god for the amazing medical staff in the hospital. It was very frightening to have a call in the middle of the night from the nurses telling me I needed to get there. Hired a car and headed there the next morning. Frantic 6 hour drive. Long story short it took four days to get him well enough to make the drive to Faro with me. He is still under close medical supervision but on the mend. It made us both realise how short and precious life is. So no longer alone in Faro. Will stay in touch. Thanks very much for all the support

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Hi Mutley

Well what a turn up!!!
I am so glad for you sometimes it takes nearly dying or loosing someone to understand that sometimes the important things in life should be cherished .
I hope it all works out for you and hubby.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I'm glad things have worked out! Look back on this time and realise how strong and independent you found yourself to be! Good luck!

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Hi Cossieg,went to look at Cabanas! All changed there now,I went to the site,very nice,but call me mean,begrudged paying €2.50 a day for my dog???? That's steep,the only way it would come down is if I stayed for a month! So I moved on to Fuzeta.leaving tomorrow not sure which way I am going,went on site forChristmas, think I might head for taveria again,enjoying catching up with some lovely places I know!! Will eventually see you both!
Blimey! Didn't realise they charged for dogs. Not sure if the police site in Tavira is any good, might be worth trying? Let us know if you do try there?

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Blimey! Didn't realise they charged for dogs. Not sure if the police site in Tavira is any good, might be worth trying? Let us know if you do try there?
Yes they do!! Anyway found a few nicer spots than the parking in Tavera,went shopping and when I came back the French had invaded lol.
I will be back your way,but don,t know when moved on a bit as many wild spots I new have far to many vans on them,so decided not to stay! Staying at a legal camping spot,and as the weather has closed in,might stay for a day or two,does some cooking,
As Arnie said I will be back!!!

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Yes they do!! Anyway found a few nicer spots than the parking in Tavera,went shopping and when I came back the French had invaded lol.
I will be back your way,but don,t know when moved on a bit as many wild spots I new have far to many vans on them,so decided not to stay! Staying at a legal camping spot,and as the weather has closed in,might stay for a day or two,does some cooking,
As Arnie said I will be back!!!
Okey dokey! Send a message if you do wander this way!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back