Alnwick Height Restrictions (1 Viewer)

RCRich

Free Member
Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD690G
Exp
Anyone experienced driving through centre of Alnwick in motorhome? My ‘motorhome specific’ sat-nav happily tried to direct me through the town centre. Fine till I reached the stone archway with height restriction of 9ft 3 inches. My motorhome is 9ft 8 inches! While I held up the traffic trying to work out how to turn round, a car at the other side of the archway was frantically waving me through. When he realised I wasn’t going to, he drove through and informed me he was a local fireman and regularly drove his fire engine through the arch.
On his advice I tentatively drove my brand new motorhome through the archway without a scrape. How are these height restrictions measured?

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Anyone experienced driving through centre of Alnwick in motorhome? My ‘motorhome specific’ sat-nav happily tried to direct me through the town centre. Fine till I reached the stone archway with height restriction of 9ft 3 inches. My motorhome is 9ft 8 inches! While I held up the traffic trying to work out how to turn round, a car at the other side of the archway was frantically waving me through. When he realised I wasn’t going to, he drove through and informed me he was a local fireman and regularly drove his fire engine through the arch.
On his advice I tentatively drove my brand new motorhome through the archway without a scrape. How are these height restrictions measured?
Blame metric?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
The height restriction is typically the lowest point of the arch - the outer edges where the curve meets the wall. So because of the width the lowest points at the sides will be well away from the highest point of your MoHo. Just stay in the centre of the road as you go through.

Looking at the arch you can usually see the top of the arch is 1 or even 2 m higher than where the curve meets the wall/sides!

Reactions: GJH
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sorry, this is your fault. The height warning is well signed and you should be looking for these things along with other potential hazards not myopically following your satnav.

Reactions: GJH
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Sorry, this is your fault. The height warning is well signed and you should be looking for these things along with other potential hazards not myopically following your satnav.
The OPs reason for posting, if I'm reading the post correctly, is to ask how the height is calculated, a fair question. I don't think criticism is needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The OPs reason for posting, if I'm reading the post correctly, is to ask how the height is calculated, a fair question. I don't think criticism is needed.
Maybe it was a little harsh, but I do think that people blindly following satnavs is very bad practice.

OK we can all get caught out but this is a classic case where all the clues are there; its obviously a medieval town with walls and narrow streets, its quite likely to have gates and thus requires extra care, and just in case that isnt enough the town council have put signs to warn you.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I certainly didn’t risk it in my 2.96m high MH nor would I have done even if I was assured it would “just fit through”. I’ve had expensive roof repairs before!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back