LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Yes cleanable but use nothing abrasive, it’s anodised so removing the surface will cause it to degrade even faster. Was recommended a “magic sponge” type foam with neutral detergent for a trailer with similar framing.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Autosol Sovol

Bring it like chrome. You might want to put some amolasitate spelling? Nail vanish remover on it afterwards to keep it really shiny yes I know that it is not cheap but honestly it is worth it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Interceptor

Free Member
Feb 25, 2020
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 5
Exp
02-02-20
Autosol will sort that I have raw alloy wheels on my car and it bring them up a treat.
But to get it like chrome you may need too buff it with a mop in the drill.
But I would mask the van body it mite discolour it with a gray residue.
But as its not pitted a good hard rub by hand at this stage will do the trick.
You will have to redo it each year though ?

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Hopefully I won’t strip it....will try the Autosol....found one called Autosol Anodised Aluminium polish....presume that will do the trick....thanks all.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Meguiars All Metal Polish is also quite good. It’s not as abrasive as Autosol and does seem to offer some protection as well.

<Broken link removed>

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Solvol autosol will do it but beware its a bit like Brasso and windolene, get it in the wrong place and it will discolour anything it comes into contact with especially when you start removing the anodised aluminum. Seeing as we all have time on our hands would it not be easier to take the trim off and get it coated before refitting it? Never done it but have powder coated items in the past and anoised ally items

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Solvol autosol will do it but beware its a bit like Brasso and windolene, get it in the wrong place and it will discolour anything it comes into contact with especially when you start removing the anodised aluminum. Seeing as we all have time on our hands would it not be easier to take the trim off and get it coated before refitting it? Never done it but have powder coated items in the past and anoised ally items
I’m getting confused now....what does everyone mean “removing the anodised aluminium”.
Take the trim off ! It’s attached to the garage doors...doesn’t look easy.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
What they mean is that the aluminium trim is Anodised and using Autosol will remove the anodized layer leaving bare aluminium. Which will then need polishing and protecting.........constantly ?
As already said, a non-abrasive cleaner is your best bet as a first attempt at cleaning it.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
The trim when fitted would have been polished and a lacquer or clear coat applied over it, over time the coating has become damaged with either cleaning or stone chips, when exposed to the air, rain and road crud the aluminum trim forms a catalytic reaction and discolours which is what you have. think of it as the aluminum equivalent of rust and in time, a very very long time it will eventually dissolve away. When you polish it you are taking of the layer that has reacted and so the cycle will repeat unless protected, If you are going to treat it then either be prepared for polishing every 12 months or so or take the trim off and get it professionally coated. When you apply the polish the anodisation comes of as a very grey paste which will stick like stuff to a blanket it will discolour the majority of things it comes into contact with. Does that help?

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
What they mean is that the aluminium trim is Anodised and using Autosol will remove the anodized layer leaving bare aluminium. Which will then need polishing and protecting.........constantly ?
As already said, a non-abrasive cleaner is your best bet as a first attempt at cleaning it.
The trim when fitted would have been polished and a lacquer or clear coat applied over it, over time the coating has become damaged with either cleaning or stone chips, when exposed to the air, rain and road crud the aluminum trim forms a catalytic reaction and discolours which is what you have. think of it as the aluminum equivalent of rust and in time, a very very long time it will eventually dissolve away. When you polish it you are taking of the layer that has reacted and so the cycle will repeat unless protected, If you are going to treat it then either be prepared for polishing every 12 months or so or take the trim off and get it professionally coated. When you apply the polish the anodisation comes of as a very grey paste which will stick like stuff to a blanket it will discolour the majority of things it comes into contact with. Does that help?
Ooh err....what about this then....does this work....and not take off the anodised layer
5E22F0FC-EF02-4528-A613-E47C1A3F18A4.jpeg
5E22F0FC-EF02-4528-A613-E47C1A3F18A4.jpeg

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
This last week I tried WD40 on my aluminium bits following a suggestion on here. I was pleased how well it restored the surface lustre. Probably have to repeat fairly frequently but so easy to apply.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Another good stuff for protecting aluminium is ACF 50. Used it many times on motorbike casings and still use it. Is very resilient to road grime.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back