Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
On impulse...as you do !!!!......just bought a ruck of Beef short ribs before the hotel trade got 'em...( I have a tame butcher ! ) I have portioned them up and put in the freezer, they have a compartment all to themselves !:thumb:

Any recipes for them will be most welcome !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Last edited:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
No recipes I'm afraid but you've just reminded me that when I was little my Dad worked at an abattoir and I can remember having huge roast ribs of beef and just chewing on them like a pork rib - fippin' lovley. ::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just slow roast with some red wine . one of my favourite beef joints .
i worked for a big meat supplier and we had to cut a certain number of ribs on their hotel orders . very often had single ribs galore . mmm makes me hungry already . slow roast in a self basting dish . bit of wine few onions etc mmm. maybe a few potatoes around the joint to soak uo the flavour .
just read above post . it was an abbatoir i worked in as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Osso Buco Style Beef Short Ribs
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours, 30 minutes

Serves: Serves 4

Osso-Buco-Style-Beef-Short-Ribs_.jpg

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons flour
  • 8-10 pieces beef short ribs -- bone-in and boneless mix
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 whole onion -- coarsely chopped
  • 3 ribs celery -- coarsely chopped
  • 3 large carrots -- cut into 1/2" discs
  • 1 pound crimini mushrooms (baby bellas) -- sliced thick
  • 1 whole red bell pepper -- coarsely chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
  • 2 whole bay leaves
  • 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley -- finely chopped
  • 6 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1 cup dry Marsala wine
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 14 ounces Italian stewed tomatoes -- undrained, crushed by hand
  • 1/2 cup Israeli couscous -- uncooked (optional)
  • Salt and pepper -- to taste
Instructions

1. Position oven rack low in the oven, preheat oven to 300°. Trim beef ribs of excess outer fat, careful to leave meat attached to the bone. Dry meat with paper towels, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and dust lightly with flour on all sides.
    Osso-Buco-Style-Beef-Short-Ribs-Browning-Ribs.jpg
  2. In a large Dutch oven or pot with a secure lid, heat the butter over med heat. Sear the ribs on all sides, add a little olive oil if needed. Browning the meat is very important to the flavor of this dish. Remove the seared meat and reserve on a platter.
    Osso-Buco-Style-Beef-Short-Ribs-Vegetables.jpg
  3. Add onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and parsley to the pot and cook until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Raise the heat just a little and add the wine to deglaze the pan.
  4. Return the ribs to the pan add the stock, tomatoes and juice, stir to incorporate all the ingredients and make sure the meat is mostly covered. Bring it to a simmer, and then drizzle with a little olive oil. Secure a lid on the pot and place in the preheated oven; cook for 4-41/2 hours.
  5. Optional: Once ribs are done, remove from the oven and turn oven off. Stir-in couscous, replace lid and return to the oven (still off), for 10-15 minutes.
  6. When ready to serve, make a bed of the vegetables on a plate and set ribs on top. Serve with French green beans or a side salad.
Notes
It is important to use dry Marsala wine for this recipe rather than sweet Marsala.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
On monday night on BBC2 Tom Kerridge in his Pub Meals programme did a great job with beef ribs. Not sure if you can get it on the iplayer. They would certainly tempt me.:thumb:

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Bugger moi !!!

That's what gave me the idea ! Went in for some lamb chops and came out with half a cow !:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Did the same on Saturday !!!
Rubbed steak seasoning on ours and put it on our BBQ on low for about six hours. Best bit of beef we've had in a long time.:thumb: :thumb:

Cheers. Nige

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back