All weather tyres for motorhomes? (1 Viewer)

ScappyDoo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Funster No
I've got a Fiat Ducato Swift 590RL, I've asked the garage about All Weather Tyres and been told they can't be fitted but I've seen another motorhome with them on.
As a beginner to motorhoming can someone give me advice as to whether all weather tyres are feasible or desirable. Bearing in mind I am intending to travel over the Pyrenees springtime.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For what reason do they say they can't be fitted, because folks on here have had them on.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ScappyDoo

ScappyDoo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Funster No
For what reason do they say they can't be fitted, because folks on here have had them on.
Thank you for your interest, they didn't give a specific reason beyond they're not being desirable for motorhomes. Hence my confusion.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I've driven over the Pyrenees a couple of days after Christmas. It was 15°c and sunny. There are webcams so you can check it out online.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Michelin Agilis motorhome ones are rated mud and snow so are as much as you need.

OP
OP
ScappyDoo

ScappyDoo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Funster No
Thank you everyone for your comments and help. Looks like the Michelin Agilis Motorhome is the one to go for. Thank you all again.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have a look a Continental Vanco tyres. They do a Camper special but these are not essential. I've just had two of their four season tyres fitted to replace the originals, which were the same. You need ones with a snowflake or a mountain and snowflake on the side. These are suitable for all year round use. Continental also give very good guidance on pressures, almost uniquely I think. This will save your fillings. :)

Depending on when you travel you will be legally required to carry snow chains on some passes. This is best avoided by taking a lower route. :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Another for Michelin Agilis campers we use ours all year round and they are much quieter than the Continentals.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Previously had Continetal Vanco Fourseasons 2 fitted, no problem at all with them and I was full-timing abroad. Just had Hancook tyres with the same spec fitted (225/75 R16, R120/121 and m&s) and so far so good. The Hancooks are a lot cheaper and get good reviews etc.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I've got the Continental Vanco Camper tyres on my Swift 590RL too (y)

Use the MH all year round in the UK, not tried them on snow yet tho!

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
@Brian and Jo (member on here) has his own tyre business (www.pandbtyres.co.uk) and is worth asking as his knowledge of all things tyres, especially RV and motorhome, is extensive. His prices are also very competitive and he can arrange fitting near to you.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Have a look a Continental Vanco tyres. They do a Camper special but these are not essential. I've just had two of their four season tyres fitted to replace the originals, which were the same. You need ones with a snowflake or a mountain and snowflake on the side. These are suitable for all year round use. Continental also give very good guidance on pressures, almost uniquely I think. This will save your fillings. :)

Depending on when you travel you will be legally required to carry snow chains on some passes. This is best avoided by taking a lower route.

The Hancooks I have fitted are marked m&s but do not have the snowflake/mountain symbol which worried me at first as I originally fitted Continentals so the tyres would be legal abroad during the winter months in the countries requiring them, they were marked m&s and also had the snowflake symbol (or mountain symbol, can't remember which!). However from the websites I've looked at it appears that, although m&s is acceptable for winter conditions, the snowflake symbol indicates true winter capabilities. I only mention this in case people want to buy m&s tyres to be legal only and not for mountain/winter use!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back