LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
All of these and thousands more can be found in Campercontact

read the reviews and get vital information.. also look on Google maps

http://www.campercontact.com/en/

The mobile app is also excellent.. one of the very few I have paid for .. about ÂŁ4.50 per year.

you can download off-line maps for whatever country you are visiting

or.. for free, you can simply download the POI sets and put them in your sat nav..

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
La Mailleraye sur Seine with Mortagne sur Gironde a very close second

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
All of these and thousands more can be found in Campercontact

the one I listed isn't Jim, but it is on CC-Infos. (y)

I use a combination of both CC-Infos and CContact as POI's on the satnag which just about covers most of them.

Just added Peyre to Campercontact but it takes up to 14 days to get approved. :sleep:

Pete

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
For those that have used Blaye, which one do you suggest, just on our way there now, there are 6 listed on camper contact

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For those that have used Blaye, which one do you suggest, just on our way there now, there are 6 listed on camper contact
Go into town centre, the market might still be cleaning up but you go past it into a carp ark by the river and sea right under the citadel, no facility's though but it's one of our favourites, right across the road from all shops and bars.
You can actually park inside the citadel and that has got facility's but don't know how much it is as we have never tried it.(y)
Blaye
APN.png
Authorised motorhome parking day or night - no services

Blaye, Gironde [33], Aquitaine, France, 33390

45.12603, -0.6666
N45° 7.562' W0° 39.996

http://www.blaye.net

Markets Wednesday & Saturday AM

Free
Facilities
    P

Pitch surfaces
Unit types accepted

Gallery
Click on any thumbnail to see a larger version

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Citadel one
Camping Citadel - Municipal
AC.png
Independent Campsite

Blaye, Gironde, Aquitaine, France, 33390

45.129377, -0.666085
N45° 7.763' W0° 39.965'

Broken Link Removed

1 Adult 5.80€
2 Adults 9.90€
Electricity €2.60
Facilities

Gallery
Click on any thumbnail to see a larger version

• Edit sorry just seen , doesn't open till may

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
:merci: Brilliant thread very useful keep the recommendations coming, my little black book is getting nice & full.

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
FUNSTERS FAVOURITE FRENCH AIRES. apologies for any discrepancies please feel free to alter

Spaces AIRE Facilities W=water T=chemD=grey

NORTHERN
20 BERGUES NONE

NORMANDY

50 ST.VALERY EN CAUX W.T.D
15 NEUFCHATEL en bray WTDE
34 LA MAILLERAYE sur SEINE WTDE
24 FORGES LES EAUX WTD
10 RUGLES WTDE

BRITTANY

30 TREGUIER No. 1 TD
75 CAMARET SUR MER WTDE
20 LOCRONAN WTD
15 CAMPENEAC WTDE

PAY DE LOIRE

35 BOUCHMAINE WTDE
20 LA SUZE SUR SARTHE WTDE

CENTRE

10 AUBIGNY SUR NERE 1 WTD
25 " " " 2 WTD

CHAMPAGNE

8 MAREUIL SUR AY WTDE
10 FRONCLES WTDE
20 GONCOURT WTD

EASTERN

30 STENAY WTDE
50 NONSARD LAMARCH WTDE

BURGUNDY

20 ST.GENOUX LE NATIONAL WTDE
22 LOUHANS

POITOU

30 LA FORET SUR SEVRE WTD
10 CHATEAU LARCHER WTDE
40 MORTAGNE SUR GIRONDE WTDE

LIMOUSIN/AUVERGNE
58 ST.POURCAIN-SUR-SIOULE WTDE
20 LAC D'AUBUSSON WTD

RHONE ALPS

10 AUBIGNAS WTD
10 NANTUA WTD

ATLANTIC
60 ANGLET WTDE
30 LABASTIDE d'ARMAGNAC WTD
100 BRANTOME WTD

MIDI PYRENEES

20 AIRE DE COMPREGNAC (peyre)
50 ST.CIRQ LAPOPIE WTDE

MEDITERRANEAN
60 CARRO AIRE WTD
20 DUILHAC SOUS PEYREPERTUSE WTDE
60+50 LES SAINTES MARIES DE LA MER 1 +2 WDT
12 COLLIOURE WTDE

no responsibility accepted.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
One of the nicest we've stayed on is at Chateau Thierry but the town isn't up to much!
Latitude : (Nord) 49.03473° Décimaux ou 49° 2′ 5′′
Longitude : (Est) 3.39149° Décimaux ou 3° 23′ 29′′

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Last year or before , on here everyone was talking about a new aire that was below a chatuex next to a school , all new facility's and views , a very steep walk into a walled town, havnt got a clue where it was now but we did stay there one night , it was as good as everyone said but havnt heard anything about it lately.
Anyone know where I'm on about?
Could be anywhere in France we've been all over but no logs(n):(

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So many favourites, its difficult to pick, but one that stands out for us isn't really an aire but more of an 'Aire de Stationement', ie mixed parking with limited facs, ie a bin :lol: .
Had a look at the aire at Millau but IMO it was scruffy and overpriced so we found this little gem a few kms along the river.
Its confusingly listed on CampingcarInfos under Compregnac but its actually just above the charming little village of Peyre..

View attachment 92504 View attachment 92505 View attachment 92506

Pete

So many favourites, its difficult to pick, but one that stands out for us isn't really an aire but more of an 'Aire de Stationement', ie mixed parking with limited facs, ie a bin :lol: .
Had a look at the aire at Millau but IMO it was scruffy and overpriced so we found this little gem a few kms along the river.
Its confusingly listed on CampingcarInfos under Compregnac but its actually just above the charming little village of Peyre..

View attachment 92504 View attachment 92505 View attachment 92506

Pete

Had a look at this one today, looks fabulous in your photos, but it really is only a car park, one hell of of a road up in an 8m motorhome!! Not for us, as said absolutely no facilities a car park for a look nothing more, there is a loo there but with signs for no dumping

Great views, possibly best we have seen of bridge though (y)

IMG_1471.JPG
IMG_1472.JPG
Millau today.jpg

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Looks better than Carr Vale viaduct David :)..but that would be before your time :D
Pleased you are enjoying the trip EVENTUALLY (y)

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Had a look at this one today, looks fabulous in your photos, but it really is only a car park, one hell of of a road up in an 8m motorhome!! Not for us, as said absolutely no facilities a car park for a look nothing more, there is a loo there but with signs for no dumping

Great views, possibly best we have seen of bridge though (y)

Looks fabulous in your pics as well David. :)

Ah well, never mind, you can't please them all.
We like the rustic ones as opposed to the all singing and dancing aires but we're all different.
We're glad we stayed for more than a quick look, did you walk down to the village and see the quirky public toilet set into the rocks and did you find the stone fish pool set into one of the house walls? Some great walks along by the river as well.

We only need to service the van about once a week so don't need facilities at every place we stop, that's the beauty of having a motorhome imo.

Mixed parking as I stated but we had two lovely peaceful nights there and would go again if in the area. (y)

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Pete

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We only need to service the van about once a week so don't need facilities at every place we stop, that's the beauty of having a motorhome imo.

Pete

Please tell me how, we have a 120 litre black and can only do 3 days, four occasionally :)

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Please tell me how, we have a 120 litre black and can only do 3 days, four occasionally :)

Nothing fancy, for grey waste you can discreetly and responsibly dump in various places with a bucket and for black waste we have a second cassette.

Pete

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looks fabulous in your pics as well David. :)

Ah well, never mind, you can't please them all.
We like the rustic ones as opposed to the all singing and dancing aires but we're all different.
We're glad we stayed for more than a quick look, did you walk down to the village and see the quirky public toilet set into the rocks and did you find the stone fish pool set into one of the house walls? Some great walks along by the river as well.

Mixed parking as I stated but we had two lovely peaceful nights there and would go again if in the area. (y)

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Pete
Yes the car park thing with a good view for us every time

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Might seem strange to some on here and not what the op asked, we don't really have favourite Aires as such, more favourite places to stop ,so when traveling round we get to where we want to be then look for somewhere for the night, if it looks safe and close to where we want to be, it will do , after all when you are asleep it's pretty much the same as anywhere else, gravelines is one as we always stay and Blaye because Julie has friends in the area but other than that anything will more or less do.
But saying this we do use France passion as well if they are where we want to be, don't go out of the way to find one as you can go for miles and still not find it(n) but you can gauantee there won't be more than a couple of vans with you.(y):)

Yes the car park thing with a good view for us every time

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Thanks for starting this thread Wildge, it has been very useful.

We are crossing on 28 April for several months and although we have done a fair bit of travelling in France and further afield have never stayed on an Aire.

SWMBO has some concerns about staying on aires so I want to slide her in to it by showing her some of the nicer ones at the outset, and this thread has been a massive help.

I know most of the info is available online but there is nothing to compare to a seasoned travellers recommendation, plus the hints and tips you don't get online.

Thanks again

Hymie

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A vote for Nyons.

Basic Aire with water and grey disposal and barrier entry. Mainly like a car park but about three spaces a bit more out of the at.

It is really the town we go for. Short walk to interesting toewn centre with a fantastic market on Saturday mornings. Just don't block my parking space!:rolleyes:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

We are crossing on 28 April for several months and although we have done a fair bit of travelling in France and further afield have never stayed on an Aire.

SWMBO has some concerns about staying on aires so I want to slide her in to it by showing her some of the nicer ones at the outset, and this thread has been a massive help.

I know most of the info is available online but there is nothing to compare to a seasoned travellers recommendation, plus the hints and tips you don't get online.

Thanks again

Hymie

With the good advice of those more experienced on here, I avoided the Motorway Aires on our first trip to France but we have not had a spot of bother on the village Aires. The smaller the better.
Even my SWMBO likes them.

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000

Thanks again

Hymie
Thank you ....that is the exact reason I started the thread...I can well remember our first experience of aires and all the safety precautions HWMBO. took :D and still does occasionally (y). But there are some great ones out there as funsters have proved.
Super time to travel for aires....... we always used to go mid April and return before French school holidays in July.
Thanks to all the contributors :clap2:
Jude

Last edited:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Bergues - 30-40 minutes from tunnel. No facilities. Lovely fortress town . Re gravelled last year. Perfect for late night crossing to mainland, head down, up and away next day to Europe. Always popular with the French and free. Leclerc, lidl and McDonald's down the road. Our regular for every holiday

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have stayed a couple of time on the free aire at Arras, easy enough drive from Calais. The aire won't win any prizes for having an attractive location as its in quite a scruffy part of town but its a 5 minute walk to the supermarket and about 7 minutes to a nice town centre thats full of history, shops and eateries. There is a service point at the aire, token available from the tourist information office in town.

Paul

Arras aire.JPG

Arras town from the top of the bellfry.

Arras town.JPG

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I don't think I've seen Charleville Mezieres mentioned yet. Smallish aire overlookiing a marina, next door to campsite. Water, dump and electricity available. Short walk across bridge into large and attractive town.

Paul

View directly from aire:

Charaleviille Mezieres marina.JPG

Pleasant square in town:

Charleville Mezieres town.JPG

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Arras beautiful town was there a couple of years ago and had security guard on duty day and night rumour had it that gypsys were on way.
Charlesville mezieres has a low bridge on entrance road but lovely town

Joe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back