All three batteries suddenly dead (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Last evening I heard a beeping sound from the MH, on trying to use the alarm and entry keys there was no response.
On investigation I found that the engine battery and the 2 leisure batteries were dead.
My system:
Swift MH, nearly 6 years old
Sargent EC450 PSU
Solar panel 100W connected to FOX-320 Solar Charge Regulator.
MH kept at home and always plugged in to mains.
Engine battery less than 2 years old.
Scorpion alarm system fitted, all these extras fitted by highly reputable engineer much praised on this forum.
MH last driven about 3 weeks ago for about 45 miles, this is done every 3 weeks or so in winter.

I've managed to stop the beeping by inserting the spare ignition key and turning it to battery off position, not ideal from a security view I know but it's deadlocks all round and the battery is dead.
Just to point out that I'm an electrical and mechanical ignoramus, I've got my mate who is a superb sparks and motorhome owner coming to have a look next week.

Any observations will be most gratefully received.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd check the charger. It's unusual for both battery banks to fail at the same time but if the charger has failed in a way that allows the batteries to discharge through it (and it charges both sets) that might have been the cause.
Get the batteries recharged ASAP. They will not recover if left discharged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I'd check the charger. It's unusual for both battery banks to fail at the same time but if the charger has failed in a way that allows the batteries to discharge through it (and it charges both sets) that might have been the cause.
Get the batteries recharged ASAP. They will not recover if left discharged.
Battery charger looks to be completely dead.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It could be that the charger's failure is effect rather than cause. Get the batteries checked before linking them back in. A bad battery can cause the charger to fail.
You may need to replace batteries as well as the charger.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Follow up post:
It was this wot dunnit:

My pal the sparks came round this morning and said to start with the basics and found that the fuse in this had gone. replaced it and the Sargent unit came on and the Sargent control panel lit up like a Christmas tree! We're still surprised that everything went flat so quickly but I'm going to let the batteries charge. Maybe there is something else wrong with the system but I will test it later when the batteries are full.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My pal the sparks came round this morning and said to start with the basics and found that the fuse in this had gone. .

Probably a 13A fuse feeding into a MH that can exceed 13A if you plug in heaters and a kettle.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Probably a 13A fuse feeding into a MH that can exceed 13A if you plug in heaters and a kettle.
Nothing's actually been plugged in but it's a good point, thanks.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Nothing's actually been plugged in but it's a good point, thanks.

I nearly said plugged in / turned on but didn't.

Do you have any combination of built in heating, we have an electric hob, space heating and electric water heating that may exceed 13A if all on together.

That is the only way that fuse can legitimately fail, not that and it may reoccur.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Glad that the cause is sorted but as in your original post it still seems that the batteries have not lasted well over the last 3 weeks since it’s been driven, upping the solar from a 100w to 2 or 300w would be better but i still would have thought a 100w panel would have kept them from going flat in 3 weeks..... some investigations still needed I think...

Good luck...(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Glad that the cause is sorted but as in your original post it still seems that the batteries have not lasted well over the last 3 weeks since it’s been driven, upping the solar from a 100w to 2 or 300w would be better but i still would have thought a 100w panel would have kept them from going flat in 3 weeks..... some investigations still needed I think...

Good luck...(y)
Our first van I only had an 80 watt panel never plugged the van in over winter always kept all 3 batteries topped up. So regardless of the mains problems sounds like your solar is not working.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Thanks for the feedback.
Possibly a wrong or faulty fuse.
You don't need to plug things in. The charger, fridge and hot water might consume enough to blow it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That's why there's no fused plug in my hookup.
I have a dedicated 16amp hookup using a blue socket wall mounted and wired back to the garage fuse board with a 16amp RCD.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The 13amp fuse is to protect the cable to the MH if there is a fault. Maybe there is something wrong with the cable or it has had water in it which has caused the fuse to blow. Might be worth checking everything is Ok up to and including the blue plug that goes in the MH. You could of course have got water in it on your last trip and plugging it in has blown the fuse straight away. Your panel should show if you have a mains connection.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Thanks for the replies, I will probably replace the ehu cable as well then, it's pretty old.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I had a Scorpion system in a previous van , the siren gel battery failed and constantly discharged the system . Replaced the Siren problem solved, did take a lot of checks to find it .

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I had a Scorpion system in a previous van , the siren gel battery failed and constantly discharged the system . Replaced the Siren problem solved, did take a lot of checks to find it .
How did you discover that the siren battery was at fault?

Deleted User
Did you start the engine whilst connected to mains, I have done that in a swift and unknown to me blew the fuse in the charger.

Spongy

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just adding my threepennyworth. Assuming the fuse has been blown for a while, how far do you drive the van "every three weeks"? Unless you've got a B2B charger you'll need a decent run, as much as 2 hours, to recharge all three batteries so I would guess that the batteries have run down gradually without you noticing then, as they do, failed completely and suddenly.

Hopefully you haven't damaged the batteries and the charger will eventually bring them back to good health.
Might be worth doing a couple of the other checks mentioned though.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Did you start the engine whilst connected to mains, I have done that in a swift and unknown to me blew the fuse in the charger.

Spongy
No
Just adding my threepennyworth. Assuming the fuse has been blown for a while, how far do you drive the van "every three weeks"? Unless you've got a B2B charger you'll need a decent run, as much as 2 hours, to recharge all three batteries so I would guess that the batteries have run down gradually without you noticing then, as they do, failed completely and suddenly.

Hopefully you haven't damaged the batteries and the charger will eventually bring them back to good health.
Might be worth doing a couple of the other checks mentioned though.
When not using the MH I take it out for a 40-50 mile run every 3 weeks or so keeping the revs at 3000 rpm for the benefit of the DPF mainly. The leisure batteries are full now but the starter battery is dead so will need a new one. Got a vehicle sparks coming this morning to check the whole system. It's been at home for about 2 years now since we stopped using the storage, keeping it on permanent charge through the Sargent charger and the 100W solar has never been a problem until this episode.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back