All the technology in the world, beaten by wet grass. (1 Viewer)

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Reluctantly took two grandsons for the weekend to Blue Dolphin site at Filey, looked a cheap 3 nights, until I saw the site, luckily I booked a EURO pitch, hard standing. FRi, Sat staff busy putting some folk on pitches, helping others off.
Tractors going all day.
As this is a well established site the drainage should be better, it was like a mud bath.
And after a cheap pitch cost the rest was a RIP OFF

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Getting mine on Wednesday :D
As Andy, @Techno, mentioned, we managed to move off at Chester by lifting the van with the E&P jacks and lay grass protection mats about 4 foot long which gives us enough room to get a bit of momentum going.
Had no problems just driving off the field at Peterborough though as it was downhill. We were parked near the top by the marquee.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
That's the Syncro version, had one for about 8 years. Amazing camper with automatic front/rear lockup and diff locks both ends, big knobbly tyres went wherever I wanted to.

I had a syncron day van for two or three years, plain old viscous coupling but really effective. Loved it, tremendous fun, a huge shame that VW decided that "there was no future in four wheel drive recreational vehicles" )c:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
P
No trouble in general, I drove on, reversed off, turned around and drove back on again. Wife wanted to face the main field not the fence.:rolleyes:

Ian
Perhaps it's the drivers that get stuck?

Jim got off no bother as well lol

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We got off without a problem ... we had ramps under the front wheels and cut down bread baskets under the rear ones so we didn't 'sink' even though the brad baskets bits did bend a bit ... we just trundled off nice and steady without an issues.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I had a syncron day van for two or three years, plain old viscous coupling but really effective. Loved it, tremendous fun, a huge shame that VW decided that "there was no future in four wheel drive recreational vehicles" )c:

Yes very short sighted decision by VW.
Seemed to be quite a lot of 4x4 sprinter chassied vehicles in Morocco this year.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I used to do offroading in a 4by4 ,its mostly down to the tyres, if you have the correct tyres then it's a lot less likely to get stuck ,I wonder if they do a set of all roads for a MH ? ,hard core tyres such as Grizzles would be too noisy

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I had M&S fitted to my rears a couple of years back, a big chunky tread pattern and looking at the imprints they left in the grass/mud they aught to make a difference, although the RV behind me and the one to my right had no trouble getting on or off. Only the front wheel drive Euro to my left had any problems, he had to be pushed on to his spot as its slightly uphill where we were, but he got off ok.

Ian

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Had a nice bit of "what goes around comes around" today. Some of my trays got damaged helping somebody on Monday but I thought "No matter, I'll just cut out the broken bits" as I had plenty.

Just sorting them out and noticed our neighbour over the road was having a garage clear out and had 3 large bread trays. "Are you throwing those out?" says I. "Yes" he says. "I'll buy them off you" says I. "No you won't" he says "You'll have them for nothing, I'd rather they were some good to somebody instead of just being chucked out".

So, a few minutes with the jig saw and, because they are large enough to make two each, I have another half a dozen pieces in my stock (y)

Great to have good neighbours :)

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@GJH we were near the RV's and the gate out to the Harvester, I came to the FUN field to see you, Carol and Eddie told me where you were and on the way I bumped into @sillybug in their Flair and I didn't get any further, next time(y)

Martin
thanks martin great to meet you at last . Flair sailed off no tracters needed lol

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
GJH has the answer.

However, although 'wet' grass can be a problem, it strikes me April is very early in the year for the ground to be sufficiently hard (especially after such a wet winter) for heavy motorhomes to negotiate easily.

Mid-April seems to be asking for trouble unless the weather has been unseasonably dry for a month or so beforehand.
What do you classify as a heavy motor home, over the 3.5T or does that include under as well? After about 18 months we're still picking things up...slowly. Never had any probs when we had the caravan (with a mover) and the X-Trail!

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
This was our first time staying at Peterborough in our Fiat based Rapido, we got off OK in spite the poor traction characteristics of this base vehicle. We did however have a couple ask us if this field was the one used each year by MHF. They were most critical of the MCC field they were in being like Flanders, to which I suggested they join MHF so they would not have that problem again. HA HA

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What do you classify as a heavy motor home, over the 3.5T or does that include under as well? After about 18 months we're still picking things up...slowly. Never had any probs when we had the caravan (with a mover) and the X-Trail!
There were no motorhomes at Peterborough heavier than the America RV's that we were parked close to, I didn't see any getting towed off, but they are RWD(y)

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Strangely enough rear wheel drive Mercedes cars with all the toys imagineable easily get stuck in snow, mud or wet grass condition.

Mine is a nightmare and slips sideways easing on wet grass or soft ground

Peter
Fiats are all RWD if one engages Reverse. Never understood the logic of those who believe RWD is better than FWD.

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
We were in the middle of the Fun area and got off with no probs. Just put it in reverse and backed off. 4.5t Hymer on a fiat chassis. No blocks or trays !!! Thanks all for a good weekend.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Bit wet in MCC.
IMG_0956.JPG

Martin

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Fiats are all RWD if one engages Reverse. Never understood the logic of those who believe RWD is better than FWD.
Mine goes just over 9 tons, that's 6 tons on the rear axle and 3 on the front axle, now which axle would you have as the drive axle? :)

Ian

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Anyone see any Yanks get stuck?:whistle2:

Yes once, Big Style!, back in 07 or 08, we where at Hinkley Football Club, and this triple slide 12M Fleetwood jobby, (16 t?) came and decided HE would park on the grass at the back!. We (marshals) advised that the site he had chosen was to say the least "Soft". Said personage was convinced that "HIS" rig would cope, (`cos he had a 360 Cummings!!) so we said OK Pal, on your way. 3 days of on and off rain later.:- After 2 hours of variously digging throwing planks, and even larger baulks of timber plus much jacking up, and the efforts of an Employee called out with a 7 tonner. He conceded defeat and a Local farmer with a 4WD Dual rear tyred (nice green) Tractor came and virtually dragged him onto the hard standing, where WE had all been all weekend!.

There`s one in every box!.

I have to admit though, I have had more issues with the Rapido in this regard that I ever did with my R-V. I think it has to do with an overall greater tyre "footprint" a combination of tyre width (x2 on the driving wheels) and the Larger dia, which effectively lowers the pressure on the ground?.

I may find out this coming week as we are on grass near Nottingham for 4 Days.

Peterborough Ground conditions in certain parts ARE Notorious though. My pal was dragged off with a Car & Caravan in the 90`s.

Pete

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

In answer to your question, I was thinking of a standard 3.5t van, or heavier.

It's good that lots of Funsters were able to drive off unaided from the show. And I realise that ground and grass conditions can vary hugely from place to place, depending on sub-structure and drainage. I also admit to not being familiar with the Peterborough show ground.

However, I am VERY wary of pitching on grass early in the year. And reasonably cautious during late spring and summer if it's been particularly wet for a number of days.

Having said that, I've been pleasantly surprised once or twice by using care I've managed to get off relatively wet or sticky grass. A couple of points - I don't touch the accelerator if possible, just let the clutch in VERY gently while the engine is on tickover until some momentum has been achieved; and also make sure the front wheels are pointing straight. Sometimes - depending on circumstances - also rock the van back and forth slightly, before moving off.

I've owned a few 4x4 Landrovers in the past, and realise what a different kettle of fish a front-wheel drive MH is when it comes to traction in tricky situations.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
True, had a merc estate with all the bollocks, traction control, EPS, and loads of other useless s**t, couldn't get up a small incline near us when it snowed, got the Audi now with the same B/S supposedly Quatro, same problem.
My old Seat FWD, flew up the hill, to get the wife who was stuck, even making allowances for the wife driving still don't get the logic of RWD being much better than FWD in my experience (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We were in the middle of the Fun area and got off with no probs. Just put it in reverse and backed off. 4.5t Hymer on a fiat chassis. No blocks or trays !!! Thanks all for a good weekend.
Me too - just drove off (carefully!) FWD Fiat with Smart on trailer. Thanks from me too - brilliant:).

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mine goes just over 9 tons, that's 6 tons on the rear axle and 3 on the front axle, now which axle would you have as the drive axle? :)

Ian
Ah well - that's the point really isn't it? Which has most weight on it. My Hymer has, over or just behind the front axle: the engine/gearbox; three batteries; 2 x 11kg gas 'bottles'; me & wife; 140 litres of water; the fuel tank. At the rear, just behind the rear axle; the kitchen; bathroom; (normally empty) 100 litres grey waste. Probably not much in it really. Choosing a van with as short an overhang as possible is I suspect the biggest influence.

Having said all that 3 tonnes on the front would probably help the tyres grip if yours was FWD :).

Jul 31, 2016
Fife
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Had wrangler at's on my cherokee, in the worst winter in fife for 20 years, (I think it was 2000) I was pulling people out of 5/6 feet drifts no bother.
Fitted road tyres on it & it was like being on marbles when it next snowed.

Got mud & snow tyres on my rear drive twin wheel van, no probs in a muddy field, not tried snow yet, it seems to be avoiding us so far!

It's the tyres that make most of the difference!

Phill

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Do these showgrounds have drainage pipes under the top surface, like sportsfields?

If not why not?

It could be made a condition of their licence to operate, like the requirements for fire regulations and emergency exits.

Not being able to move a vehicle in an emergency situation is a hazard which requires to be dealt with just as much as emergency exits.

Geoff

Jul 31, 2016
Fife
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Do these showgrounds have drainage pipes under the top surface, like sportsfields?

If not why not?

It could be made a condition of their licence to operate, like the requirements for fire regulations and emergency exits.

Not being able to move a vehicle in an emergency situation is a hazard which requires to be dealt with just as much as emergency exits.

Geoff
I think the reason for the lack of underground drainage, is the damage that heavy vehicles would cause it.

Some of the problems drivers have is caused by the electricery taking away from the drivers skill!

Phill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back