All is not lost yet.....! (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
So having been very quiet about Classic Hymer's at home and on here and after a recent post about my woes :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We have been sat looking at pick ups, and what ones we liked, so then I mentioned Hymers and just said look at these ones at least..........lol ( saved in my watch list)

Well M, N, P reg ones slightly newer than Frasers one which we saw awhile ago, and there is quite a difference in the look of the insides, look a bit more plusher and more modern, and he agreed they were nice, still within our price band thank fully, but it wasn't negative, I also mentioned maybe hiring one and he didn't say no!

Not saying he will convert but it's better than the hissing fit I usually get;);)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
There is a company near Milton Keynes called hireahymer. The do pretty much what it says on tin from classic ones 1992 to 2002.

Not outrageously priced I thought. They have a website if you are interested.

Ironically I had to take my wife to NEC on pretence of looking and fortunately she fell in love with a new Motorhome so we put down a deposit.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
oooh another nail in the pickup coffin for you. I went to renew my multicar insurance this week and shopped around, except I couldn't. most insurers will now not accept a pickup as a car and want to insure it as a commercial vehicle. one quote for the pickup alone was over £1000, whereas my multicar insurance for all three vehicles was £702 (2 small 5 door cars with A frames). I enquired with aviva and they wouldnt quote as new business including a 4x4 pickup, but ok to renew.

not the first time I have had such a problem. before I opened the multicar policy 3 years ago, my then current insurer jumped from about £600 to near £2000 on renewal. I asked why and was told all insurers are cracking down on 4x4 pickups as private only vehicles. they are a target for theft by the travelling tarmacing families. had mine broken into twice to see if there were tools etc in the back.

oh and nearly been refused access to a couple of campsites while towing a caravan. had to show them it was a mobility scooter in the back first

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
There is a company near Milton Keynes called hireahymer. The do pretty much what it says on tin from classic ones 1992 to 2002.

Not outrageously priced I thought. They have a website if you are interested.

Ironically I had to take my wife to NEC on pretence of looking and fortunately she fell in love with a new Motorhome so we put down a deposit.
Thank you for that, it's definitely worth a look, I've got a few points so will need to check x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
oooh another nail in the pickup coffin for you. I went to renew my multicar insurance this week and shopped around, except I couldn't. most insurers will now not accept a pickup as a car and want to insure it as a commercial vehicle. one quote for the pickup alone was over £1000, whereas my multicar insurance for all three vehicles was £702 (2 small 5 door cars with A frames). I enquired with aviva and they wouldnt quote as new business including a 4x4 pickup, but ok to renew.

not the first time I have had such a problem. before I opened the multicar policy 3 years ago, my then current insurer jumped from about £600 to near £2000 on renewal. I asked why and was told all insurers are cracking down on 4x4 pickups as private only vehicles. they are a target for theft by the travelling tarmacing families. had mine broken into twice to see if there were tools etc in the back.

oh and nearly been refused access to a couple of campsites while towing a caravan. had to show them it was a mobility scooter in the back first
Aww had no idea about insurance etc, we've got multi car too , I will call them thank you

Yes we have travelers around hare coursing, our 2 neighbours had their cat converters stolen off their landies, so another good point, fabby x

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015

Friend at work had a navara with the rotting back part of the chassis Nissan have bought the pickup back 08 plate they offered 6500 but agreed on 7000
He's just bought a newer one and as you say his insurance company now look at it as a commercial not a car his premium more than trebled
It's now up for sale

Upvote 0
OP
OP
duffs
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Well he has had an insurance quote on a mythical pick up, only £30 a month more than our volvo grrr remember I've got lots of points, so that sadly didn't work :wasntme:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back