GeoffH

Free Member
Jun 26, 2012
M/ch UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7RG
Exp
Hi to all out there. We are leaving for Spain in a 23ft motorhome on 24th march 13.
Would like to go direct to med side from Calais without too many tolls. Hope to tour med side towards Portugal for 3 wks before long tour of 2 years in october 2013
If anyone can give me as much advise as possible it will be appreciated.
Would like to stay on coast line but also see as much history as poss. Also want to spend most nights in free stopovers etc. so everything open for comment. Please be as free as needed as all will be welcome.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well you've either got to cross France from north to south and then follow the Med, or follow the French coast into northern Spain and then cross Spain to get south to the Med!

It's a long way you know, esp non-toll, to get from Calais to Portugal - how long do you want to take actually getting to S Spain?

I mean we go Calais, get off mway at Boulogne, get back on before Abbeville, cross Rouen, and then mway all the way to Beziers, come off there and down to the coast . We have done Rouen to Agde in one day in the past - on the mway - but it's a ruddy slog and I wouldn't recommend it TBH.

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yeah but No but Brian, we usually come through the Grand Mare tunnel and then cross the river at Rouen on the toll road, last year we forgot we'd set the Sat Nav to avoid tolls earlier and not changed it back, what a mistake that was. The crossing by the way costs about €3 or something equally daft, and it's WELL worth it.

They were digging up most of the roads Tom wanted us to go down :whatthe: and it's only by skilful last minute lane changing with me shouting eg Turn left quick (from memory when I saw whatever it was that made me recall where we needed to go, and some of the same from t'driver without the shouting) - bit of horn abuse by the natives, well I always think they'll think (in French obv) Oh bloody tourist, might have known LOL :roflmto: but couldn't care less if they do - that we got where we wanted to be. In one piece. :thumb:

Luckily we've been driving across Rouen at least once a year for about 15 years, and Pete longer.

I'd hate to see anyone up a gum tree without a paddle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back