• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

SOLD All gone/done (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Long shot but does anyone know of a competent bricklayer in the Stamford/Peterborough area?

It's a simple job, just a base line of blocks so we can cast the concrete slab.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Long shot but does anyone know of a competent bricklayer in the Stamford/Peterborough area?

Sidney, what is the slab for??

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Unless there is going to be more than a single line OR footings below ground for your single line then the concrete will in all likely hood burst open your row of blocks,
Concrete these days is poured extreamly wet and is self leveling so a lot of pressure on the sides whilst it sets
If your having a standard mix and leveling it yourself the old way, you need a vist to a construction site to see how its done ;)
Plywood or timber shuttering would be a lot cheaper and easier and my chosen option.
G

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
I think all the world's bricklayers are on their way to America to build a wall.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Forgot to add.
If you do find a Bricklayer interested in laying less than a 4 foot wall
Ill get my grandma to knit you the Blocks:rofl:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Trump has asked China if they still have the plans for the one they built
Cheapskate:doh:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Anyone competent to cast a slab themselves would be able to knock out a line of blocks before breakfast.

I agree with @Geo that from the description given shuttering would be a better way to go anyway.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Sorry to explain...

Its an extension, it's a standard construction, one section 2-storey, one single storey.

Trench fill foundation are poured.

Before the inside is backfilled with hardcore (and concrete slab) I'll need the first run of double skin 7 Newton blocks in place and ideally the splash course engineering bricks. I can then put in stone and compact

I'm after a bricklayer as the one I was going to use is unavailable.

Full spec

25.7 linear metres of blockwork on new, level, trench fill foundations. single course, double skin, 100mm blockwork (120 blocks.)
Three corners, one angle.

Would also like splash coarse (blue brick) and inner skin to be laid ready for stoning up and concrete slab.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Sidney,, is it just for the footings and the one skin you need a bricklayer for, or all the brickwork to plate afterwards?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sorry to explain...

Its an extension, it's a standard construction, one section 2-storey, one single storey.

Trench fill foundation are poured.

Before the inside is backfilled with hardcore (and concrete slab) I'll need the first run of double skin 7 Newton blocks in place and ideally the splash course engineering bricks. I can then put in stone and compact

I'm after a bricklayer as the one I was going to use is unavailable.

Full spec

25.7 linear metres of blockwork on new, level, trench fill foundations. single course, double skin, 100mm blockwork (120 blocks.)
Three corners, one angle.

Would also like splash coarse (blue brick) and inner skin to be laid ready for stoning up and concrete slab.
I had some forethought in one of my sons becoming a builder, he is building my extension
as we speak. ;)

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Sidney,, is it just for the footings and the one skin you need a bricklayer for, or all the brickwork to plate afterwards?
I don't have a bricklayer arranged for the main build. The plan was to get the messy work done now and crack on with DPC upwards in the New Year once the snow/frost has gone.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
You would be better off using foundation blocks, these are 440 x 215 x 300 wide. these are easier than laying two skins at 100 mm each the cavity should then be filled with weak mix concrete anyway.
If your planning on starting work after new year get a builder on board now, all the good ones are busy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As i needed a clean smooth face at the edge of my 40ft x 20ft slab i used reclaimed (50p each) paving slabs from a static caravan park, laid on edge in 4" of wet concrete in a trench and backfilled with rubble and weak concrete.
Its got 10" of 2" to dust hardcore and 6" of readymix behind it and never moved an inch.
The slab was also laid with reinforcing mesh so it doesnt matter what i drive on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back