LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Just a thought, as you still are technically the owner you will be entitled to check Askmid the insurance database. It's possible your insurance will still be recorded, but if you cancel it it will soon drop off. Not much consolation, but at least you have a chance of getting it stopped for having no insurance if it is still on the same plates.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
How unlucky can you get, and we, in some way or other, could all fall victim to these low life; however, re the theft, it can only be recorded as a theft when it is established that the cheque 'bounces'. This of course is no consolation. However with big brother constantly watching us
any movements should be picked up on CCTV on our trunk road system. Having seen your pics, your RV would make a good home for someone. So perhaps an eye to resident travellers sites may give a result. Meanwhile update us after the 5 day clearance has elapsed.

Keeping an eye out

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not true if anyone tries to register it the DVLA WILL write to you, the named keeper to ask if you have parted with the vehicle at which point you say no & DVLA won't issue a new v5 until its sorted
Darrell had a motorcycle stolen. It resurfaced after about 2 years.. DVLA wrote to him.. He replied that it is a stolen vehicle and was still an active crime quoting the crime number.
I followed the letter up with a phone call a week later.
He then got a snotty letter from the DVLA asking why he had not told them of the ownership change !!
Another letter, another phone call and got no where..
The bike is ( was ) still put on the road on the original number plate and Darrell got absolutely no where

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If anyone sees this vehicle on a Itinerant site the police won't go in, the only way they go onto a sit is mob handed with lots of agencies and men, I speak from experience, they won't go in.

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
[QUOTE="martin2603, post: 1177601, member: 29170 , re the theft, it can only be recorded as a theft when it is established that the cheque 'bounces'. This of course is no consolation.
[/QUOTE]

Think you will find you are wrong with this Martin.

Knowing that he could not have the vehicle until the cheque cleared He dishonestly appropriated it the minute he decided to drive it away.

Plus the offence of issuing a worthless cheque ( fraud ) which will be complete when it bounces adds to his Men's Rea at the time.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
This guy needs taking out for a ride in the country - then beat the living crap out of him an leave him there !

If I suspect correctly its tinkers, they are a different species....they feed of us all

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
If I suspect correctly its tinkers, they are a different species....they feed of us all
you are right . its my fault i was to keen to offload it but after tomorrow when police get involved i can put a clame into the insurance co its worth more on there paperwork than i was going to get off mr conman

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
you are right . its my fault i was to keen to offload it but after tomorrow when police get involved i can put a clame into the insurance co its worth more on there paperwork than i was going to get off mr conman

No Dave, it's not. its not your fault at all.

It is/was an act of pure greed and theft from a well versed con man... yes you may of made some errors and you don't need them pointed out.. But you did not con anyone.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
dont take it badly you were conned...simple as that!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
dont take it badly you were conned...simple as that!
And there but for the grace of God, go most of us. :(

If it wasn't you Dave, it could very well have been any one of us.

We are glad that you appear to be gaining the upper hand again. (y)

All the best with that.

Jock & Rita.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Never ever part with your vehicle unless you have cleared funds in your bank account first, do not accept cash as it could be forged or illegal or it was known that you had it in your possession and then robbed.
A bankers draft can be forged, you need to contact issuing bank to check they issued it.
Chaps or internet transfer is preferable providing your bank confirms payment has been made into your account or you can check on line.

Peter

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It wasn't by any chance a man in his 60's and another late 30's early 40's strong Irish accents? The older man talking constantly & assuring you of his honesty?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Do not blame yourself its the nice people that get conned the easiest

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hi old friend,
There are sadly Bast*rds everywhere who feel the need to con people
your family is one of the nicest we know and it was a pleasure to see you all at Haggers Carnage in Cranage.
Words on their own don't help a lot but please know that Sheila & I are behind you all 100% and hope things resolve themselves soon.
Best Wishes
Mr & Mrs Teddybard
(Roger & Sheila)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why do you ask?
I sold my last motorhome to Irish travellers who knocked on the door. They looked like one family: Granddad who did all the talking, Dad who went fishing around the vehicle whilst Granddad distracted me, and teenager who fiddled with things. It appeared to be a well-orchestrated attempt to distract me.

After agreeing a price I sent them away asking that they return in a couple of hours to give me time to remove our remaining stuff from the van. They came back in an hour and resumed the tactics. I sold the van at a low price anyway. Then Dad spotted my generator & asked if it was for sale - I agreed it was, we shook hands on a price & in the confusion they took it without paying for it. Later I discovered my toolbox, that was on the driver's seat of the van whilst we were clearing it, was missing. Granddad spent a lot of time trying to convince me he was honest, teenager kept starting the van, revving it up, then stopping it. All in all, although I thought I had my few remaining wits about me, the experience left me with the feeling that I was out-of-pocket by more than I should have been. They gave me the impression it was all a well-rehearsed act.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I sold my last motorhome to Irish travellers who knocked on the door. They looked like one family: Granddad who did all the talking, Dad who went fishing around the vehicle whilst Granddad distracted me, and teenager who fiddled with things. It appeared to be a well-orchestrated attempt to distract me.

After agreeing a price I sent them away asking that they return in a couple of hours to give me time to remove our remaining stuff from the van. They came back in an hour and resumed the tactics. I sold the van at a low price anyway. Then Dad spotted my generator & asked if it was for sale - I agreed it was, we shook hands on a price & in the confusion they took it without paying for it. Later I discovered my toolbox, that was on the driver's seat of the van whilst we were clearing it, was missing. Granddad spent a lot of time trying to convince me he was honest, teenager kept starting the van, revving it up, then stopping it. All in all, although I thought I had my few remaining wits about me, the experience left me with the feeling that I was out-of-pocket by more than I should have been. They gave me the impression it was all a well-rehearsed act.
Crumbs, it is a scary business isn't it... This is one time I hate being lone woman when selling things and they come to look at them... I always end up feeling I have been fleeced. :( usually because I start feeling uneasy and agree to whatever, just to get rid of them.

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
Update...Prior to my appointment at the police station they phoned me to inform me i had to register Action Fraud which i did ,to get a ref no and password as the police cannot do anything without this i then turn up for my appointment and explained all to the officer,only to be told it is still a civil case as i had entered the contract verbally,with mr conman.even if the cheque bounced.Left the police station and went to the bank and found that it had indeed bounced.Went to the pub to drown sorows and taxi home when i rceived a phone call from police saying action fraud had given me the wrong code and i have to go back again tomorrow as they now veiw it as a crime.I will receive a crime number tomorrow update tomorrow

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Update...Prior to my appointment at the police station they phoned me to inform me i had to register Action Fraud which i did ,to get a ref no and password as the police cannot do anything without this i then turn up for my appointment and explained all to the officer,only to be told it is still a civil case as i had entered the contract verbally,with mr conman.even if the cheque bounced.Left the police station and went to the bank and found that it had indeed bounced.Went to the pub to drown sorows and taxi home when i rceived a phone call from police saying action fraud had given me the wrong code and i have to go back again tomorrow as they now veiw it as a crime.I will receive a crime number tomorrow update tomorrow

Glad the police are being so efficient:doh:

Meanwhile the bloody con merchant has your van..

I really hope they pull their finger out tomorrow.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
What a horrible event!

Even if you hadn't used it much in the last two years it's the principle of a conniving ba***d getting away with it that rankles.

Good luck with the insurance claim.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sign of the bloody times, I was the first to embrace computers in our village and set up loads of fellow villagers and got plenty of ridiculing off my farming friends who said it was rubbish and they would never get into them, but now I have compleatly u turned and while everyone now is ruled by computers and databases and passwords before they can get out of bed , this forum is about all I use it for now. Get out and look for the bloody thing never mind the computer.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Don't want to be a wet blanket but because you allowed him to have the keys your insurer may decide you were negligent and refuse your claim. They've done it before eg when people have left their key in the ignition whilst paying for fuel and I see this as being similar BUT I might be wrong and the insurer could play ball this time

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
In 2002 they tried 4 times to nick my new twin axle caravan, they didn't succeed as it was fitted with a concealed restraint called a Mule and could not be towed but they did do a lot a damage trying. Therefore I will never ever do business of any kind with such people nor would I when I was working. If they tried to engage my services I would say "sorry can't help" or "sorry I'm not an expert in these matters" or a simple "piss orf" would suffice:angel:

Last edited:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
What a horrible event!

Even if you hadn't used it much in the last two years it's the principle of a conniving ba***d getting away with it that rankles.

Sorry but whats the OP's use got to do with it, The OP owns the van and the cretin stole it end of.
I must say I do admire the OP's coolness under fire. As for me I'd be hunting the toerag down with bloody dogs if necessary and when caught he'd certainly feel 'my' pain

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Never ever part with your vehicle unless you have cleared funds in your bank account first, do not accept cash as it could be forged or illegal or it was known that you had it in your possession and then robbed.
A bankers draft can be forged, you need to contact issuing bank to check they issued it.
Chaps or internet transfer is preferable providing your bank confirms payment has been made into your account or you can check on line.

Peter

About bank drafts I disagree I would never accept a bank draft as they are easily forged. Also its not unknown that the bank draft is genuine as there's money in the account but once accepted by the seller the cash is very swiftly withdrawn by the fraudster before the draft arrives at their bank

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
maison said:
What a horrible event!

Sorry but whats the OP's use got to do with it, The OP owns the van and the cretin stole it end of.
I must say I do admire the OP's coolness under fire. As for me I'd be hunting the toerag down with bloody dogs if necessary and when caught he'd certainly feel 'my' pain

The point maison was making was the OP himself had said he hadn't used it much and had another van so wasn't as concerned as he might be. (My words, it's too far back to check). (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back