all enthusiasm gone (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
Having been a lurker on this and other motor home sites can I just say this thread has restored my faith in human nature, what a great bunch of caring people you are,and as for Movan - you're a bloody saint!!
Cheers Keith.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Having been a lurker on this and other motor home sites can I just say this thread has restored my faith in human nature, what a great bunch of caring people you are,and as for Movan - you're a bloody saint!!
Cheers Keith.

Kieth Welcome to Fun, see it's your first post, do join in great motorhome community on here :welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Cheers Keith.

What Carol said Keith, Welcome!(y)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just been through the threads and seen the great news. Congratulations, glad all came good for you in the end.
What's your next purchase assuming you are replacing it?
Best wishes.

Lugnutt already has another van.

Yes, welcome Keith, you'll get more response if you start your own thread in the Intro section. (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
my van on ebay at the moment..this thread has thought me something..but then again I am a suspicious old hector :)

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Great outcome to a worrying incident;
Certainly reading of your experience, Dave, I'm thinking all of us who are selling stuff will be that little more careful,.............

All the best........

paulkearnusic

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
since 1992
I'm a newbie here and have been reading through these posts with interest.
So glad the outcome was so good - so easily could have been otherwise.
I'm no legal eagle but I think i know the legal position in such a situation.
If a deposit has been taken then a contract of sale exists. Broadly speaking, this (for a time) removes it from criminal to civil and the matter falls under contract law. The police MAY investigate possible fraud arising from breach of contract but NOT the theft of the van. Failing to return it after a test drive is breach of a term of the implied contract - not theft. Especially as he left a cheque (a promissory note to pay in full upon presentation). A contract does not need to be written to be considered to exist - a verbal agreement will normally suffice.
Theft is the intention to permanently deprive the lawful owner of an item by removal or other means (in other words where no contract for sale exists).
This is probably why the police did not wish to get involved - at this stage (had the cheque bounced then they could get involved as passing a dud cheque is a criminal offence).
The lesson here is to never let the thing out of your sight until you have the cash in your hand.
So glad this had a happy outcome but it shows how careful one has to be - especially as this miscreant probably knew he was not actually breaking the law - just bending it as far as it would bend.

As I said, I'm no legal eagle but, in a 6 year fight with a high streer bank (who I can't mention - but, for the purposes of this post, we'll call Lloyds), I have had to learn a lot about contract law, the difference between legal and lawful and just what people can get away with and stay within the law. Along the way, this 'education' has come in very useful - in ways that I could never have imagined.

So - as I said, I'm a newbie on here and its lovely to meet such a lovely supportive group of people.

We are getting used to our old (but new to us) RV - which is a godsend to us as I'm in a wheelchair and it has all the facilities we need when I need to take a rest or recover from the many drugs I have to take. We tow our car behind as I can't use public transport and it's opened up whole new world to us.

We look forward to meeting some of you as we're determined to make the most of 'Norbert' (our RV) before my back deteriorates too much more.

All the best

Paul & Maggs

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know it's all done and finished, but in my opinion if it hadn't been for this forum, I don't think he would have got his money, looks to me the"buyer" got wind from looking on here himself or someone telling him that it was all over the Internet that he couldn't shift it, else why did he ring to offer cash when he had already paid with a rubber cheque, he was planning to have it in Ireland before it was known about but came a cropper.

Oct 5, 2014
peterborough
Funster No
MH
micro van
Exp
Sorry for belated advice, you see a post reply at the bottom of the page and dont appreciate that you have not read to the end of the thread. Anyway well done, good news.

Happy Phantom

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
since 1988
i regret

Only just read this so sorry, would it worth putting Reg and make on this site and other sites e.g. face book someone may see it.
Good luck

to say i have been scammed out of my rv.were to start...afther agreeing a sale of rv and reiceveing a deposit last weekend ,he returned with a cheque for the balance and asked for a test drive he said he would like a macanic to check the engine ect and could he bring one over ok says i we then filled in the logbook his adress ect i told him when paymet had been cleared i will hand everything over. he turned up last night with said macanic asked me to start it up then complaned about the smoke from exhaust while the macanic sue and myself stood there looking at the smoke he drove off i asked the macanic were his car was and he said they were droped off i smelt a rat and phoned the police to repot it stolen whent back out to find no macanic. the police said i carnt report it stolen as he had paid deposit and given cheque but we all know it will bounce i googled the adress to find it is a park home site in coventry .i have to wait till wednesday to find out about the cheque meanwhilei carnt do anything, any fines parking or accidents ect will be down to me
please do not tell me i should have done this that an the other to late for that now
S

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back