Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Due to the on going saga of my C1 entitlement I have had a change of mind. I sold the MH at the weekend and bought a Caravan and tow car. since then We have booked the ferry and three Months in Spain in the new year. We have not had a Caravan before so that will be something to get used to. We will miss the Mo Ho but if you can't use it it's no good. The final nail from Swansea was a letter to arrange a treadmill test at the local hospital. I could under stand all this if I was under the hospital or visiting the doctor every other week the truth is I never go. The instructions were to wait a week before ringing up then it would take place possibly within the next six weeks they would then wait up to three weeks before chasing the results up, It would then be several weeks before they could give me a decision. Adding all these factors up it would be the middle of January or even February before I found out the results of my application. At least now we know what and where we are up to and where we can go. Pete

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It's a difficult one Pete, but to be honest we love the caravan for our long stay over winter, don't know how we would get on touring with it although we did it years ago when the kids where young. :D
But then we never knew about owning motorhomes, and not paying much or :eek: anything to park. ;) :LOL:
I think if your using sites, don't mind towing they are fine with the added bonus of having a car. (y)
Apart from that hope your both well and may see at some point over winter. (y)
Bob and Janie.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've had several caravans before buying our first MH, when the kids were still young enough to enjoy coming with us.
The MH was so much easier in many ways . But if it meant having an old shed of a MH or a lovely caravan and car to tow it . We'd have a caravan any day. Regardless of the c1 entitlement .
I'm sure you'll still love your weekend breaks and holidays. Just as much. Good luck and happy times ......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
It's a difficult one Pete, but to be honest we love the caravan for our long stay over winter, don't know how we would get on touring with it although we did it years ago when the kids where young. :D
But then we never knew about owning motorhomes, and not paying much or :eek: anything to park. ;) :LOL:
I think if your using sites, don't mind towing they are fine with the added bonus of having a car. (y)
Apart from that hope your both well and may see at some point over winter. (y)
Bob and Janie.

Hi To you both yes it's the best way round this it's been going on now for 4 months with not much light in sight so bit the bullet. Hope to see you both again prob in Spain. Pete

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Sad that when we come to 70 we all of a sudden become a great risk. I will do exactly the same when the time comes if that's what it takes.
Sure you will still enjoy yourselves and equally as sure you will still have M/Home friends. (y)

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Hi To you both yes it's the best way round this it's been going on now for 4 months with not much light in sight so bit the bullet. Pete
The thought has crossed our mind Peter, as you know we are in a similiar situation. In fact if I could convince him indoors that towing is not a problem we would probably do it .... would now, suit our circumstances, better.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Could you simply not have bought a MH that wasn't over 3500kg MTPLM?

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Hi Pete & Lynn
Sounds like you have a plan after being left in limbo for some time , shocking how they leave you hanging around, sure you will soon get used to your caravan we towed for about 12 years before changing to m/h , and usually find more space in caravan to, glad all is working out for you enjoy Spain
Sue & Eric x

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Why don't you still do the test just in case you ever decide to go back to a MH. You never know.

No to much messing about I just got sick of it, then to await some result good or bad even if like you said three years from now it's all on again. Pete
Ps the time this ones taking it would poss be only two n half lol

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I feel for you I really do. I'm going through all this at 61 and it's a PITA it is for sure. I was made redundant in the summer so decided to go back trucking, I had let my entitlement laps in March 2014 when I turned 60. I have had the medical, walked the treadmill, done my CPC, got my driver card and then I had to fill in a thirteen page questionare plus they have contacted my doctor again. So it's far from finished I think.
As far as becoming a tugger it's very different abroad as France is Camper Car friendly but not so for caravans. Sites are so much better and as you seem to be going for the winter you will be fine, have a great time .(y) :)

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
The thought has crossed our mind Peter, as you know we are in a similiar situation. In fact if I could convince him indoors that towing is not a problem we would probably do it .... would now, suit our circumstances, better.

Hi I haven,t towed a caravan only a trailer n smart car, so we are having a couple of night's in Southport in November to try the towing out. Pete

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I feel for you I really do. I'm going through all this at 61 and it's a PITA it is for sure. I was made redundant in the summer so decided to go back trucking, I had let my entitlement laps in March 2014 when I turned 60. I have had the medical, walked the treadmill, done my CPC, got my driver card and then I had to fill in a thirteen page questionare plus they have contacted my doctor again. So it's far from finished I think.
As far as becoming a tugger it's very different abroad as France is Camper Car friendly but not so for caravans. Sites are so much better and as you seem to be going for the winter you will be fine, have a great time .(y) :)

Hi Thanks for that good luck with your licence, we will be going to the same places we did in the mo Ho so should be ok. Pete

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Pete & Lynn
Sounds like you have a plan after being left in limbo for some time , shocking how they leave you hanging around, sure you will soon get used to your caravan we towed for about 12 years before changing to m/h , and usually find more space in caravan to, glad all is working out for you enjoy Spain
Sue & Eric x

Hi to you both yes should be ok, well we give it a go and see, keep well and all the best. Pete

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Why would they want you to go on a treadmill? Mum never got her C1 again but if there was a treadmill involved then she would have failed that I guess.

Enjoy your caravan. At least you can still get out and about.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hi I haven,t towed a caravan only a trailer n smart car, so we are having a couple of night's in Southport in November to try the towing out. Pete
Good mirrors are the secret Peter, make sure you can see down both sides of the caravan. We were tuggers for many years and only stopped when the kids got bigger, we used to pitch up on or near a beach for a couple or three weeks but now as a couple we like to tour and move on every day or two.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just a thought, if you lose the C1 at age 70, might you also lose the bit allowing you to tow trailers / caravans

Now that new licence holders have to take extra tests to do so?

It already seems mean to lose the C1 bit, but odd to leave other bits unaffected

Not wanting to make you feel even worse, but concerned you may still have other issues (y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
fifth wheeler is the way. or even better mini artic .
i certainly say if anyone is heading towards 70 its definately the way forwards .

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Why would they want you to go on a treadmill? Mum never got her C1 again but if there was a treadmill involved then she would have failed that I guess.

Hi
Must be my past health prob back in 1992, or they have nothing better to do lol. Pete

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

The treadmill is in three stages, slow, medium and fast walk. Just a fitness test.

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Just a thought, if you lose the C1 at age 70, might you also lose the bit allowing you to tow trailers / caravans

It already seems mean to he C1 bit, but odd to leave other bits unaffected

Not wanting to you feel even worse, but concerned you may still have other issues (y)

Hi
B+E gives driving of car n trailer (caravan) up to mass of permited levels so will be ok. Pete

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

It already seems mean to lose the C1 bit, but odd to leave other bits unaffected

Not wanting to you feel even worse, but concerned you may still have other issues (y)
you dont lose the b+e part. that allows any weight trailer so long as you dont break the trainweight of the towing vehicle . ideally a 7.5 ton truck lowered to 3.5ton and it keeps its trainweight of 11-12ton . but can still be driven on a b+e. mine would keep a train of 9.8 ton .

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Switched to a car and caravan last year after a few years Motorhoming.

I regret nothing. I have a spacious caravan and a super luxury car, all bought with the proceeds of the sale of the MH and with a big chunk of cash to spare.
Currently in Spain and enjoying the car, to waft us to all the places to visit in the Benidorm area, of which there are many.

Towing is a breeze with the right car.

:cooler:

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi
if you don't mind me asking what was the health issue that required the treadmill test in '92?

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Switched to a car and caravan last year after a few years Motorhoming.

I regret nothing. I have a spacious caravan and a super luxury car, all bought with the proceeds of the sale of the MH and with a big chunk of cash to spare.
Currently in Spain and enjoying the car, to waft us to all the places to visit in the Benidorm area, of which there are many.

Towing is a breeze with the right car.

:cooler:
Thanks for the reassurance we will be in Benidorm in Febuary ready to enjoy. Pete

OP
OP
peter marshall

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
if you don't mind me asking what was the health issue that required the treadmill test in '92?

A bypass at age 45 (none smoker decent diet) just bad luck but not a bit of trouble since which is why this is so gauling. Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back