alko rear suspension (1 Viewer)

stewrty

Free Member
Oct 24, 2010
Funster No
help i cant get my rear wheel off the rear suspension seems to be seized any tips on trying to free it thanks

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
there are a number of posts on this I believe. The Alco rear axle/suspension needs greasing approx every 6 months. I hope you are able to free it as replacement is expensive. Dave Newell is the man to ask, he is a trade member here. Good luck

OP
OP
S

stewrty

Free Member
Oct 24, 2010
Funster No
thanks

thanks for the name how can i contact him cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

stewrty

Free Member
Oct 24, 2010
Funster No
rear suspension

no the rear suspension arm wont let the wheel come down low enogh to come off so must be seized cheers

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
What van have you got?

It is very difficult to get the rear wheels off of my van (lunar Roadstar 786) because the fairings the converter added to the body fowl the wheel when trying to remove it.

Are you sure its not just a design feature of the conversion.

Lunarman

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
if you need to grease it jack both wheel's off the ground and you will find 2 grease nipple's on the axle one each side,pump as much grease as it needs untill you cannot get any more in,do every six month's:thumb:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
another point.
never try and strip the suspension down if you aint sure what you are doing as it is a pre-loaded torsion bar setup.:thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If it is siezed (and I have seen them sieze up) then you may be lucky and it can be freed off, takes time, serious heat and lots of wd40 and grease. If it won't free off then the axle is scrap and will need replacing as a complete assembly.

D.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If it won't free off then the axle is scrap and will need replacing as a complete assembly.
D.

Disgraceful.

The designer should be shot.

I've got a distant memory of something similar with VWs long ago, tales of cutting open a tube to do a repair.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It may be something as simple as jacking the body off of the axle to get the clearance. you don't say where you are but many trade members here. to find a particular member look in the members list (under community+)

OP
OP
S

stewrty

Free Member
Oct 24, 2010
Funster No
suspension seized

yes it is defenetly seized sold in the up position there must me a trick in freeing it big hammer and wd 40 cant get greese in as torsion bars seem to be covering the holes as have taken nipples of to get wd 40 in van is 21 years old has it ever been greesed in aberdeen by the way cheers:cry:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you may be able to get a scissor jack in between the trailing arm and the chassis but if its been seized a while you may just have to bite the bullet and get a new one.
i wouldn't trust a second hand one as you just don't know what its done or how its been serviced ( if at all ).

OP
OP
S

stewrty

Free Member
Oct 24, 2010
Funster No
seized suspension

thanks i would try the jack idea but very flimzy body work around there cant aford a new one i will try any thing its an old swft kon tiki but a good van for its age cheers

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you can remove the shock absorber you may be able to jack it down on the shock absorber mounting points but be very careful just how much pressure you put on them if you can get it to move a little bit even a couple of mm then you are going to have to then transfer the weight of the van back onto the wheel to move it back the other way.

if you have to apply heat to the axle tube shield the van floor with aluminium above where you are warming and have a fire extinguisher handy as motorhomes burn very quickly.

OP
OP
S

stewrty

Free Member
Oct 24, 2010
Funster No
seized suspension

thanks for that idea i will give it a try a let you know thanks again:thumb:

OP
OP
S

stewrty

Free Member
Oct 24, 2010
Funster No
seized suspension

well i have taken off the shock hoping to atempt to jack the torsion bar arm down but the top of the shock is just a bolt hole any ideas cheers:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back