Alko Rear Axle Maintenance and Replacement (2 Viewers)

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Pretty certain mine hadn’t been done in a while by previous owners. Bought the grease and a gun and did it myself. Easy lifting it up on the EP levellers.
Was a bit nervous after seven pumps of the gun as they say 4 or 5. One side took 10 and the other 12 before I felt some resistance. All seals OK and no problems over the last 2500 miles.

Nov 13, 2013
Leics.
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Since 2000
Alko recommend Kluber Stabutherm GH461 or Fa. Conda Cardex 3746 SP

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I finally got round to greasing my two rear axles yesterday. (y) One took about 12-15 pumps ( including spinning the wheel to help distribute it ), the second took about 8-10, third and fourth both took 6-8. I’ve only had the van 6 years!:giggle: I’ve had the grease and new grease gun for at least a year too! Hey ho, it’s done now for a year.(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I finally got round to greasing my two rear axles yesterday. (y) One took about 12-15 pumps ( including spinning the wheel to help distribute it ), the second took about 8-10, third and fourth both took 6-8. I’ve only had the van 6 years!:giggle: I’ve had the grease and new grease gun for at least a year too! Hey ho, it’s done now for a year.(y)
Not sure spinning the wheels will help? The grease doesn't go near the wheel bearings.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
1693223336980.png

This is a depiction of the Alko torsion bar axle, showing the parts in place but the earlier version with flat bars. The big steel plate attaches to the chassis. The torsion bars are inside the axle tube, with bearings and seals to stop grease leaking. On the end of the torsion bars is the swing arm, that the hun and wheel are mounted on and the damper (shock absorber).
As you can see, there is no way that rotating the tyres can affect the grease distribution, but raising and lowering the suspension will.

This is a very basic system that has been around for many many years and Alko adapted the same system used on caravans and trailers to create an axle for motorhomes. They work well if lubricated properly and you need to take the weight off the wheels to put in grease correctly. It can be done on the floor but does not distribute properly. The torsion bars don't go half way across, so any overgreasing fills the void between the bars that sets rock hard. Proper greasing takes between 2 and 4 pumps each year

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Ok, thanks. (y) The axles hadn’t been greased since I’ve had the van ( 6 years! ). In my defence I’d not known they’d needed greasing in the first 4 and a half years. :giggle: They were done jacked up in the air though.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back