Ali chequer plate on the moho garage floor (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have noticed a couple of slight depressions in my Hymer's garage floor where the scooter's wheels have sat for the last couple of years. I suspect that the problem is that the wheels sit in exactly the same place because I use a fixed wheel chock for the front wheel. I am thinking of getting some Ali chequer plate to put on the garage floor to prevent the problem getting worse.

I notice that Hymer and other makes have ali chequer plate floor shown as an optional equipment. Can anybody tell me what the thickness of the plate is please?

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
We have 2 chequer plate channels. One is used as the ramp, the other to guide the wheels across the garage and spread the load.
Have noticed that if putting a wet bike away the area under the chequer plate stays damp for quite a while.
We can easily lift out the channel if bike is not in garage to dry it out.
Plate is about 3 or 4 mm thick but was designed as a ramp.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
3mm is the thickest you'll need. I use 3mm 5-bar to armour the vulnerable bits of my Landrover competition trayback so if it protects my Landy from rocks and trees then I'm sure it will cope with a couple of bikes:xThumb:

All the best,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
3mm is the thickest you'll need. I use 3mm 5-bar to armour the vulnerable bits of my Landrover competition trayback so if it protects my Landy from rocks and trees then I'm sure it will cope with a couple of bikes:xThumb:

All the best,

Andrew
Thanks. Don't think we will need anything as strong at that! Want to keep it as thin as possible to save weight and money. Not sure if I will do the whole floor or just do a strip where the scooter sits

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks. Don't think we will need anything as strong at that! Want to keep it as thin as possible to save weight and money. Not sure if I will do the whole floor or just do a strip where the scooter sits

Peter, it's quite heavy stuff all told so your idea of having a small strip is the best one. If you go direct to a supplier then it will cost just a few quid.

2mm will be fine for what you need but at least you'll have the choice.

Regards,

Andrew

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Peter, it's quite heavy stuff all told so your idea of having a small strip is the best one. If you go direct to a supplier then it will cost just a few quid.

2mm will be fine for what you need but at least you'll have the choice.

Regards,

Andrew
I know what you mean, but a whole sheet would look better and would stay in place easier rather than just a narrow strip. If in 2mm I reckon the whole sheet would probably be about 15kg, whereas a 300mm wide strip would probably be a bit less than 4kg.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have 2 chequer plate channels. One is used as the ramp, the other to guide the wheels across the garage and spread the load.
Have noticed that if putting a wet bike away the area under the chequer plate stays damp for quite a while.
We can easily lift out the channel if bike is not in garage to dry it out.
Plate is about 3 or 4 mm thick but was designed as a ramp.
Thanks. I already have a folding ali ramp. Interesting point about getting wet under the ali, but that would not cause any problem because the floor is made of grp faced sandwich board.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks. Already looked on Ebay and seen lots selling cut sizes, full sheets and offcuts. Just need to make up mind on thickness and size first! If it is a strip I will phone up the off-cut people as I don't need to be precious on length or width. I suspect with full size it will be near enough a full 8 x 4 sheet.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I know what you mean, but a whole sheet would look better and would stay in place easier rather than just a narrow strip. If in 2mm I reckon the whole sheet would probably be about 15kg, whereas a 300mm wide strip would probably be a bit less than 4kg.

Yep, agreed and it will look rather nice when finished too.:xThumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I believe B&Q flog some smaller sizes, might be cheaper as no delivery charge.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
If you have a channel folded up that will give added strength so 2mm should be fine :xThumb:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I would still be interested in hearing from anybody who actually has an ali chequer plate floor in their garage as to what thickness it is.
Given that all the strength is in the floor it will be the thinnest possible. Even 1mm (if available) would protect your floor. As a slightly off-beat option why not consider domestic laminated flooring? Cheap as chips, more than strong enough, easy to fit, and available in a variety of finishes.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Given that all the strength is in the floor it will be the thinnest possible. Even 1mm (if available) would protect your floor. As a slightly off-beat option why not consider domestic laminated flooring? Cheap as chips, more than strong enough, easy to fit, and available in a variety of finishes.
Thanks but a bit too heavy and not waterproof unless you buy the expensive stuff.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks but a bit too heavy and not waterproof unless you buy the expensive stuff.

If you do use chequer plate and don't seal it to the floor then you will occasionaly get water ingress under the outer edges.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you do use chequer plate and don't seal it to the floor then you will occasionaly get water ingress under the outer edges.
Yep I realise that. The problem is that the suggested flooring (domestic laminated flooring) is made of mdf and when the water gets in to the joints and cut edges it starts to blow and rot. Been there got that T shirt at home. If any water gets on under or around the aluminium it isn't going to do any damage.

I would be interested to hear from anybody with the factory fit chequer plate flooring if it is stuck down or just laid loose as well as what thickness it is.

Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
I would still be interested in hearing from anybody who actually has an ali chequer plate floor in their garage as to what thickness it is.
I do have factory fitted chequer plate but it is not easy to find its thickness as it comes right up to all edges. I have drilled into in the past to fix a bike rail so when the weather improves I will remove a screw and establish the thickness for you. What that does tell you is that it is a lot thicker than 1mm. I am thinking it will be 3 or 4.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Yep I realise that. The problem is that the suggested flooring (domestic laminated flooring) is made of mdf and when the water gets in to the joints and cut edges it starts to blow and rot. Been there got that T shirt at home. If any water gets on under or around the aluminium it isn't going to do any damage.

I would be interested to hear from anybody with the factory fit chequer plate flooring if it is stuck down or just laid loose as well as what thickness it is.
The floor in my Frankia garage is checker plate,quite thin,I would think it is only 3mm. I have a wheel chock for the front wheel and use a square of 3/4" ply for the back wheel to spread the load.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I had the same concerns - in the end I went for:

Was cheaper than al. treadplate. Also positively locates the front wheel, gives somewhere to strap down to and to secure it with a chain if you're paranoid :xwink:
Rear wheel sits on a thin piece of ply.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I do have factory fitted chequer plate but it is not easy to find its thickness as it comes right up to all edges. I have drilled into in the past to fix a bike rail so when the weather improves I will remove a screw and establish the thickness for you. What that does tell you is that it is a lot thicker than 1mm. I am thinking it will be 3 or 4.

I had the same concerns - in the end I went for:

Was cheaper than al. treadplate. Also positively locates the front wheel, gives somewhere to strap down to and to secure it with a chain if you're paranoid :xwink:
Rear wheel sits on a thin piece of ply.
Thanks to you both. I already have a folding ramp. I also have a front wheel chock. but not one that lifts the wheel off the ground. Mine is just a push in one that works fine and I don't want to have to drill through the floor again to fit a different one. Could use ply to spread the load at both ends though I suppose, but the ply will need to be thick enough and that will mean I may not be able to get my top box onto the scooter. Hence my thoughts on thinner Ali.

If I did use ply at the rear do you bolt/screw it down or just leave it loose?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why not simply use a couple of small plates in ali, just slightly larger than where the wheels actually sit as you don't need to worry about the weight when pushing in/taking out? You could make holes to match the existing ones for the front wheel chock then just stick the plate down underneath and screw the FWC back, for the rear just stick it down. Personally I'd rather have a rubberised type flooring for the rest of the garage (fully stuck down) as it wouldn't be so 'slippery' and allow other bits in there to skit around quite so easily ... ali would be like a skating rink with bumps!

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
The floor in my Frankia garage is checker plate,quite thin,I would think it is only 3mm. I have a wheel chock for the front wheel and use a square of 3/4" ply for the back wheel to spread the load.
I should have said that I used a piece of 6mm Alu checker plate for the front wheel chock,used countersunk bolts up the way to bolt the wheel chock then 2 down the way matching up with the corresponding chassis bolts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back