Aldi Specialbuys - £13.99 battery charger this Thursday (16th)... (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
...at least that's what the local store's Specialbuys booklet says.

Looks the same as the one I got from Lidl earlier this year - 6V/12V/cold start multi-stage trickle charger - and the same price, but with a different name on the front.

I've been using mine quite a lot and it seems to do the job. Better than dragging out the old heavy-duty Halfords one and then spending 10 minutes trying to fit the cables back into case when I've finished!

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Two points about this and similar (Lidl) chargers is that when there is a loss of mains power the charger reverts to standby mode, IE its stops charging until it manually setup again. This means that it use as a long term battery maintainer is limited, as it would require regular inspection, may even weekly. We live "out in the sticks" and get a number of minor power cuts, usually only for a few seconds but long enough to reset my Aldi charger.

Secondly although its rated at 3.8Amps it contains a temperature sensor which drop its output to half power after about an hour.

Its still a cost effective useful unit, I'm just making peeps aware of its short comings.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Does anyone know if you leave this type of charger connected long term, and you have a mains failure .. is there a current back flow that could drain the battery, and over time flatten it ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think they are meant for long term connection are they?

I used to use (a Lidl) one to keep the starter battery topped up in the Autoquest in the days before I fitted a Battery Charge Manager. I now use it to top up an old leisure battery I keep in the garage to power occasionally used 12v devices. We also fitted one to my son's old camper as it had no charger installed when he bought it.

All those uses are short term though.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Several other potentially useful items at Aldi from Thursday as well as the charger. Details Broken Link Removed.

I have a couple of pairs of the work trousers and find them extremely comfortable.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
If your going to use a charger for long term connection why buy cheap!!!! buy a good brand name like CTEK that you will buy once and designed so that if power failure is common it will start again in the same mode and carry on where it left off. Buy cheap buy twice - buy quality buy once.............

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Does anyone know if you leave this type of charger connected long term, and you have a mains failure .. is there a current back flow that could drain the battery, and over time flatten it ?

No. This type of charger does not place a load on the battery.
However the reason this type of charger is used for long term maintenance is that alarm systems etc place a continuous drain on the battery that must be placed. The loss of mains power will means that the original load will drian the battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back