LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
So if I understand correctly, the main purpose of buying the genny is to run a hairdryer? All things considered, I think solar would be a better investment, silent and free, but it's horses for courses I guess...

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
So if I understand correctly, the main purpose of buying the genny is to run a hairdryer? All things considered, I think solar would be a better investment, silent and free, but it's horses for courses I guess...

I do agree but as I understand it I would need an inverter also which is where the costs start mounting up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, it's not the volume but the continuous drone.

We were on a site with some RVs, now these are something else, just ran their built in gennies when they felt like it and what a racket they made.
Different breed of generator Brian.
The one in my RV had an output of 5.5kw...5500watts.
to produce that amount of power it needed a 480cc V twin engine spinning at 3600rpm.
480cc V twin industrial (Briggs & Stratton) engines never will be quiet.

Funnily enough, its the same engine as my 16hp westwood ride on mower....and that's noisy as well.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
At Newbury meet earlier in the year, no hook up, weather dire.
After 3 or 4 days my solar was awol and batteries getting low.
Ive got an onboard genny that i only new worked because i started it when i bought the van.
Stepped outside in the rain for a ciggie and two funsters gennys running.
Started mine up for an hour all sorted and some charge back in.
It was useful as a last resort , wouldn't use it to just watch telly etc though.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I've just looked at the add again and it says comes with oil bottle thingy. so maybe that means it's two stroke.
Is two stroke not good then?
On my Clarke gennie the little oil bottle is for refilling the sump oil as its near impossible without it.

I used my gennie in the Norwegian & Finnish wilderness, finding somewhere without campers or an oakey was sometimes difficult even there. I used rocks, ditches and even some scrap wood to help reduce the noise output.
As soon as I get home I will be fitting solar and the gennie will be left at home!!!! Not practical or desireable to use it in most Aires etc.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks. That may well the route we have to go down. I'm sure I could pick up all the bits we needed either E-bay or second hand for reasonable prices, but even with help from all you lovely funsters I really don't think OH would attempt installing an inverter.
We did call in at Becks about 6 months ago to enquire about getting this done and what they would charge but they only fit stuff they supply. Is that the case with most of these places do you know?

Not unusual to only fit products that they supply. They would have experience of setting them up, can guarantee them and they are less likely to have grief from customers because the components in the system installed might be more compatible. The installers also get the mark up price between the trade price that they buy the goods for and what the customer pays.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When ever the subject of generators and hair dryers comes up there are always those brave ones saying, use a towel, get a smaller hair dryer, etc etc . Me I like a quiet life, if her indoors is happy life goes a whole lot easier. Haha

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ye, but have only got one battery, and no inverter - so how am I gonna plug the 'air dryer in?
Also although OH is very handy at diy and could probably do it, he would need talking through it lol.
I honestly cannot remember ever having to plug in Womans towel which she uses to dry her hair ! ( as those who know Maureen will testify, she has a BIG mop of very thick hair !! )

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
to produce that amount of power it needed a 480cc V twin engine spinning at 3600rpm.
480cc V twin industrial (Briggs & Stratton) engines never will be quiet

You can say that again.

As a matter of interest 3600 rpm = 60 revs per second = 60 Hz Yank mains frequency.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Features
  • 2000W maximum output
  • 1600W running power to run sensitive electronics, power tools and more
  • 2.86HP engine power
  • 3.2 litre tank volume capacity giving approximately 3 hours' running time
  • 1.07 l/h fuel consumption
  • Low oil indicator
  • Overload indicator
  • Automatic shut off when oil levels are low to prevent oil damage
  • Output indicator
  • Runs on regular unleaded petrol
  • Easy fill tank
  • Sine wave gives clean, stable voltage and reliable power for sensitive electronics

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You can say that again.

As a matter of interest 3600 rpm = 60 revs per second = 60 Hz Yank mains frequency.
Correct Brian.....AMERICAN rv ;)

There was an onboard voltage converter to boost to 230vac but still on 60hz.
Very little needed 230v....kettle etc, so the frequency didnt really matter.

Just had a search for fuel consumption......1.2 us gallon/hr....but I got the engine capacity wrong, it was a massive 760cc.:eek:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
And it's hard to find one much lower wattage but I will look :)
Rita uses a 1200w hair drier, either through a 1500w inverter with the engine running supplying a Sterling B2B, or via the onboard generator for no more than 10mins every couple of days.
In the UK, our 2 x 85w solar panels would struggle to recoup that level of power consumption. We also operate a 900w upright vacuum cleaner every couple of days, using the same methods.

If it were me and unable to go down the solar route, having prioritised my power needs, and knowing it to be a 4 x stroke engine, I'd be getting the Aldi genny. Our onboard 2.5Kva genny costs the best part of two and a half grand to buy new. ;)

Good luck,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Thanks Jock. Same for my needs 10 mins every couple of days.
All sold out online so I'll pop to aldi in the morning. OH said once we do get solar he'd be happy to have the genny in his shed. :)

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
I realise generators are a love/hate them topic, but we're looking for something to just tide us over until finances allow for solar panels, extra battery & possibly an inverter. Also we really want to use the van a bit more before adding lots of extras.
What I'd like to ask is - would this be an ok temporary stopgap for occasional use of (I'm whispering this) a hairdryer and also to charge a laptop? Or do you think it's throwing good money down the drain?
Broken Link Removed
A generator is just so anti-social I wouldn't entertain the idea. You need to be a long way from anyone else before you can use one without upsetting other people (certainly a big "no-no" on aires abroad). The laptop can be charged as you are going along and for goodness sake leave the ****** hairdryer at home.

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Well I didn't realise you could charge a lap top via 12v but have just had a look and apparently you can :)
I also know a generator is anti social and as I'm not, it would never be used in earshot of anyone, and certainly not on aires or campsites etc. And as for the hairdryer......on the odd occasion when going out in the evening, well I'd just like to feel as though I hadn't been dragged through a hedge backwards....sad I know, but not the end of the world.;)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Well I didn't realise you could charge a lap top via 12v but have just had a look and apparently you can :)
I also know a generator is anti social and as I'm not, it would never be used in earshot of anyone, and certainly not on aires or campsites etc. And as for the hairdryer......on the odd occasion when going out in the evening, well I'd just like to feel as though I hadn't been dragged through a hedge backwards....sad I know, but not the end of the world.;)

I wouldn't spend so much money and use so much storage space and load etc on something that would be used so rarely. They are noisy, heavy, large bits of kit.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
A generator is just so anti-social I wouldn't entertain the idea. You need to be a long way from anyone else before you can use one without upsetting other people (certainly a big "no-no" on aires abroad). The laptop can be charged as you are going along and for goodness sake leave the ****** hairdryer at home.
That's a bit harsh @Huwmari. :(
Generators are not anti-social, when used for short periods, at considerate times, by responsible and thoughtful users. It's the numbskull mindless MH/RV owners who want to warm up a blooming pie in their Microwave at ungodly hours of the night, or watch that huge 56" TV all day, that you should be addressing.

I know, because I was pitched next to one, and when spoken to in the morning, they genuinely thought that they hadn't done anything wrong. "I was a bit peckish, so I heated up a pie."
What??? When everyone else is in bed fast asleep???

Whilst a generator owner myself, I hardly use it, but I am aware of others around me, and so when I do have to use it, I use it with consideration for others, as I'm sure @Madinengland will do too.

Regards,

Jock.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
We're the same as @JockandRita. We have a Honda 1kw which we very rarely use. We have 100w solar which keeps up with most situations. The generator is there for emergencies and for the odd times Lyn needs the hairdryer.

Antisocial? Not if used considerately. And probably less noise and pollution than turning your engine on.

Cheers Alan

Paul Macintyre

Free Member
Jun 29, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 years
Hello all - first post from me.
Thanks for this heads-up, I managed to get the only one in-store in Cupar this morning. Was there at opening time and didn't waste time getting a trolley just in case anyone else was going for one :)
It's not for motorhome use but rather to replace an old non-inverter one that I've used to run our central heating during winter power cuts.

Very impressed so far.
4 stroke, single cylinder, 106cc.
Started easily and throttled down on the smart throttle, at which point it's much quieter than I thought it would be. Revs up on demand (tested with an 1800W hairdryer) at which point it is of course noisier but still the quietest genny I've had by a good margin. Similar volume to a Honda Eu20i I would say.
Runs smoothly with very little vibration.

Bulky of course and no lightweight at 24kg.
A steal at £270 given the Aldi backup I'd say.

My only criticism so far is that it does smell a bit of petrol, even when it came out of the box with an empty tank. Perhaps there's an open tank vent somewhere, I'll need to investigate.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I use my genny often... (no gas oven or grill in my Classic Hymer)...

If it annoys any of my motorhoming neighbours, they can bloody well get off my land... :rofl:

JJ :cool:

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
The old generator debate does seem to polarise this community!

If it was either or I would go for the genset first and the solar second. I would be the first to agree that solar is a preferred option but the genset is much more flexible.

I have had a honda 2.0efi for about seven or eight years, I very rarely use it but when I do it is the most useful piece of kit I own, not just in the MoHo but in the home or on the boat.

Recently took it down to a friend's yacht to power a couple of pressue washers for cleaning the weed off off the bottom. £15 for the "scrubbing piles" or £450 for a lift out and boatyard facilities (basiclly a hook up for the pressure washer...). Go figure.

When our road was flooded in 2014 we were millimetres away from the electric company switching the power off and when you are completely surrounded by floodwater it's a great comfort to know that you can still power a couple of lights and a small heater!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We camped up at the Royal Highland Show at Edinburgh last weekend. We were amongst the forestry lot but they had also parked lots of the younger "members" near us. A lot of these young farmers had obviously bought a cheap/scrap caravan just for the weekend, these wouldn't have working leisure batteries so they'd brought along an eclectic mix of farm/building site generators. These were run for all hours of the day and night, one lad beside us started his up just after 11pm, plugged his phone into it, sent a couple of texts then left it running for the next hour to charge it. Nothing we could do about it as it was the status quo and we were getting free camping, but instead of going straight home on the Sunday, we parked up at Beadnell Bay for two nights to readjust to "normal" society :)

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Hello all - first post from me.
Thanks for this heads-up, I managed to get the only one in-store in Cupar this morning. Was there at opening time and didn't waste time getting a trolley just in case anyone else was going for one :)
It's not for motorhome use but rather to replace an old non-inverter one that I've used to run our central heating during winter power cuts.

Very impressed so far.
4 stroke, single cylinder, 106cc.
Started easily and throttled down on the smart throttle, at which point it's much quieter than I thought it would be. Revs up on demand (tested with an 1800W hairdryer) at which point it is of course noisier but still the quietest genny I've had by a good margin. Similar volume to a Honda Eu20i I would say.
Runs smoothly with very little vibration.

Bulky of course and no lightweight at 24kg.
A steal at £270 given the Aldi backup I'd say.

My only criticism so far is that it does smell a bit of petrol, even when it came out of the box with an empty tank. Perhaps there's an open tank vent somewhere, I'll need to investigate.

Oh good it's reassuring to hear it's a good one at least, especially as I did manage to get one too.
Husband's away and has left it to me to decide, which puts me under pressure in case I bought something rubbish. So hopefully he will be happy. (y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Oh good it's reassuring to hear it's a good one at least, especially as I did manage to get one too.
Husband's away and has left it to me to decide, which puts me under pressure in case I bought something rubbish. So hopefully he will be happy. (y)
Good for you. (y) At that price, spec, and warranty backing, it's a bargain. ;)

When do you collect two pairs of these for you and hubby?:rofl:
images.jpg

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Only joking. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
:D Haha! They should issue them free.
If Terry was reading this I could hear him say ' I've already got a pair, 'cos of her nagging'. :):)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Went into Aldi, at 10am this Morning, (`cos I wanted a car creeper, for my Garage) had a look at the generator, It is definitely a 4 Stroke. At that price they will not be there long, half the builders will have them!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back