Aldi Electric Cool Box- Thursday 25th June (1 Viewer)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Aldi are doing a very good buy on a 30 litre electric cool box ( 12v and mains) for £39.99. It has a 3 year guarantee as well and is the best price we have seen. Available tomorrow ( Thursday 25th June)

Broken Link Removed

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
that will cane your battery

Not if you use it on mains and stick to 12 v only when travelling. We've seen these used by long- termers in Spain as an additional fridge.

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
We always use one of these when away, it is dedicated to alcohol only. It consumes about 50Watts, we have it on 12V when travelling and mains when in sites. When off grid we can run it for most of the day via the solar and at night put ice packs in it to keep the temperature down.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I bought the LIDL version last year and it's brilliant at keeping the essential supplies (OK, beer and wine) cold. As above, 12v for travelling, mains for hookup. I forgot once to change from 12v on site - one very flat battery in the morning; unfortunately the vehicle one! Red face, pleading noises and jump leads needed!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We had a problem with our fridge at Stratford :( Ray (Dingray on Fun ) lent us this over the week it was brilliant hense we have just purchased one from Amazon. Know its a lot of money but it will be well used :)

Ps and it didnt drain our batteries over the week :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we've had one of these for several years and can report that its excellent at its job, keeping the contents cool. however the condensation it creates whilst cooling tends to pool in the bottom. so not ideal for soft fruit etc. but perfect for drinks

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
we've had one of these for several years and can report that its excellent at its job, keeping the contents cool. however the condensation it creates whilst cooling tends to pool in the bottom. so not ideal for soft fruit etc. but perfect for drinks
Hi is the one you have the one i have jus brought or the Aldi one ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aldi one, but they all work the same way with cooling fans

froghopper43

Free Member
Jun 5, 2015
winchester
Funster No
MH
renault machzone high top
Exp
since 1998
Re flat battery. On my van the pleasure battery is under the main seat. I put a bolt through the wall behind my seat. It is in a plastic tupperwear box . then a heavy duty link from battery to bolt... Engine battery flat. One lead from bolt to battery. Brum brum.. Having used it yet..... But I got it ready

froghopper43

Free Member
Jun 5, 2015
winchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1998
Meant to say saves moving cushions and bed base.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Re flat battery. On my van the pleasure battery is under the main seat. I put a bolt through the wall behind my seat. It is in a plastic tupperwear box . then a heavy duty link from battery to bolt... Engine battery flat. One lead from bolt to battery. Brum brum.. Having used it yet..... But I got it ready
quick way to kill a cheap leisure battery

froghopper43

Free Member
Jun 5, 2015
winchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1998
I would never put a cheap battery on. Been doing motor homing since1986 and work in the trade. But accept your comment as fair

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would never put a cheap battery on. Been doing motor homing since1986 and work in the trade. But accept your comment as fair
then like me, I expect youve seen people try to jump start a flat engine battery from a cheap leisure battery more than once before. they cannot handle the high current draw and die in seconds. this then causes charging circuit failures and the van owner only realises the damage later
a good high cca rated traction battery would work, but not everybody spends that sort of money on batteries

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
then like me, I expect youve seen people try to jump start a flat engine battery from a cheap leisure battery more than once before.

So how about join the two for a minute or two or three then remove link and try a start, just like these little starter units you can buy.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Bought one this morning. It isn't what I would call super quiet but OK for the daytime but at night we would switch it off and put a couple of ice packs in it. It seems to be supported by Dometic as that is the contact number for the three year guarantee.

With a 100W solar panel, blue skies above, the meter says we are losing about 0.8 Amps with nothing else switched on in the MH.

Nothing like one of those Dometic compressor cool boxes but very cheap so we will give this a go and it will always come in useful at Christmas for extra wine cooling!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Wrecked a very expensive pair of Banner batteries once useing one to start the engine.
Stuck in the Pyrenees minus 10 engine battery kaput. Only choice swap with a leisure battery. Only on a few days then put back on but wouldn't have it and then wrecked the other Banner as well I thought it was ok but both ended up dead flat that was the end of them.
Now I only use traction batteries I'll never buy a so called leisure battery again.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think my coolbox is 70 litres. 47 watts and sits in the garage under our island bed. It plugs into 12 volt socket fed off the load terminals of my solar regulator. The socket is remotely switched from my bedside so I turn it off when we retire for the night. It easily stays cold overnight due to the volume of cold beer bottles in it :cool:

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
I bought one of the Aldi ones a couple of years ago, still going strong & it gets used a lot, sometimes used as an extra fridge for a week at a time (on 240v), fantastic value.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
"Cheap" leisure batteries are usually normal starter batteries relabelled so should stand up to being used as a jump start battery. Its the REAL leisure batteries that don't like the high loads of starting a motor,especially GEL units.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back