Aldi 800watt generater is it big enough to charge batterys

Jun 19, 2014
Cardiff
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Aldi are selling a 240v ac/ 12volt dc 800 watt generator on Sunday would it be big enough to charge batteries on motorhome it is 2 stroke 50/1, 4 litres tank it does not say the weight .Robert

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Because its not inverter technology. Its 2 stroke and will stink and a good possibility of destroying MH electrics. You pays your money and takes a chance, but personally I wouldn't bother.
Well I didn't see that coming

I would have replied as per UKBill, why has this never been used as a reason to weigh in all the Kippors?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
ok sorry didnt know ya reasoning but i would agree with you

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
my kippor is great and the fact it annoys makes it even greater

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
MH
AT Comanche C Class
Exp
In our 4th year. Had caravans and VW campers previously
Just had a look on Aldi's web site at the generator.
It does what it says on the tin (top).
WORKZONE.
It is not a quiet generator, it is very noisy, especially as it is a two stroke.
OK for building sites but not for camp sites, and I wouldn't put my neighbours through hell by running it at home.

It's not motorhome friendly really. (n)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
A lot of problems with these gen sets. Firstly, they are two stroke, and you have to mix the stuff up in the correct proportions. Many problems with leakage of fuel, which then 'melts' the rubber feet. They are very noisy, and they produce loads of exhaust smoke, and spares are non-existent. Plus, they aren't full sine-wave, and so battery chargers, camera chargers etc, can catch fire if plugged into them.
They aren't new. Trade warehouses are flogging them off at stupid money. Beware if you buy one.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
MH
Exp
We have been using a cheap (£60) chinese 2 stroke generator for a while.
They do stink for the first two minutes and do sound like a bag of spanners falling down a lift shaft but no problems with the van electrics and it will run a 45A intelligent charger

scotjimland

Free Member
Jul 25, 2007
MH
Exp
A lot of problems with these gen sets. Firstly, they are two stroke, and you have to mix the stuff up in the correct proportions. Many problems with leakage of fuel, which then 'melts' the rubber feet. They are very noisy, and they produce loads of exhaust smoke, and spares are non-existent. Plus, they aren't full sine-wave, and so battery chargers, camera chargers etc, can catch fire if plugged into them.
They aren't new. Trade warehouses are flogging them off at stupid money. Beware if you buy one.

I was with you until you said.. "aren't full sine-wave" ,.. infact they are.. however...

the problem is this..

it's the genny speed that determines the frequency and it isn't governed very well, which means you can get frequency spikes when they start and when load is applied..

If in any doubt.. ask someones dad.. ;)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I was with you until you said.. "aren't full sine-wave" ,.. infact they are.. however...

the problem is this..

it's the genny speed that determines the frequency and it isn't governed very well, which means you can get frequency spikes when they start and when load is applied..

If in any doubt.. ask someones dad.. ;)
Sorry Jim, I thought these small cheap gennies used square wave as a 'get you by' alternative. I surrender to your superior knowledge!...(My dads dead, and anyway, all he was an expert at was driving tanks and women) :)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You are getting confused with cheap inverters.

A magnet rotating in a coil produces a sine wave in a power station and little genny.
Thanks Brian. I go with Jims 'revs = spikes' thing then. So how do these new inverter generators work?? Is it a normal armature set up, with an added inverter, or are they packed full of smoothing coils?

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services