Alde wet radiator system (off grid) (1 Viewer)

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Does anybody regularly wild camp who has the Alde wet radiator system in their 'van?
I'd be interested to know how it copes "off grid" for, say, up to 48 to 72 hours?
Is it a power hungry system as far as gas and batteries go?
T.I.A

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The pump only runs when heat is needed. How much it runs and the amount of gas consumed will depend on how cold it is but I never considered it to be excessively 'power hungry'. Went off grid regularly (not so much in winter, though) and never had a problem.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just done 4 nights on the racecourse in Chester, no problems at all but it does also depend on how well winterised the van is.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It's fine for any period as long as you have the gas, some power and your van has decent insulation, proper screen cover helps. This winter since Dec, we have been away off hookup 4 times for 3 to 5 nights, the 5 nighter (sub zero over night) used less than 6kg (about 10 litres to fill up).

One distinct advantage Alde has over other heating systems is the heat exchanger, you arrive after a drive, with a warm van and hot water and no gas used(y) For this reason alone I would choose Alde over Truma.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The heat exchanger is useful but I have wondered how economic it is. Using diesel could be an inefficient and expensive source of heat.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The heat exchanger is useful but I have wondered how economic it is. Using diesel could be an inefficient and expensive source of heat.
You would only use the heat exchanger whilst travelling with the engine running.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

You would only use the heat exchanger whilst travelling with the engine running.

The heat exchanger is brilliant.... a great use for the waste heat from the engine. @icantremember is currently trying to figure out a way of using the waste heat to power his self levelling jacks as well :whistle2:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My thought is that it is only any good when waste heat is available. Any overcooling will cause more diesel to be used.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I also have diesel cab heating which i can use whilst stationary without engine running to warm van.
There are pump settings 1 to 5 on the alde. 2 setting is recomended.
If you set the temp and let it tick over, not power hungry.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
My thought is that it is only any good when waste heat is available. Any overcooling will cause more diesel to be used.
Will the engine thermostat not compensate and stop over cooling as the heat exchanger is small and I do not think on its own it would be capable of cooling the engine.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Will the engine thermostat not compensate and stop over cooling as the heat exchanger is small and I do not think on its own it would be capable of cooling the engine.
I don't know, which is why I wonder.
You use the exchanger at the coldest time of year, when the radiator cooling is going to be more than enough for the engine, on its own. You could try adding a radiator blind. I had a 4x4 for the Canadian market which used that method and was very effective.
My comment was to alert to the consideration of the economics for heating, especially if you have autogas as an alternative.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Never noticed ours not coming up to temperature when using the heat exchanger so assuming that the thermostat will/does look after it, I guess it does because you can circulate water around the engine block from the heat exchanger when the thermostat will be closed so obviously doesn't go through the radiator, wouldn't be without it whatever.

Martin

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
It's fine for any period as long as you have the gas, some power and your van has decent insulation, proper screen cover helps. This winter since Dec, we have been away off hookup 4 times for 3 to 5 nights, the 5 nighter (sub zero over night) used less than 6kg (about 10 litres to fill up).

One distinct advantage Alde has over other heating systems is the heat exchanger, you arrive after a drive, with a warm van and hot water and no gas used(y) For this reason alone I would choose Alde over Truma.
The Truma uses quite little gas to heat the few liters of water. But heating the car, especially in -20C or colder, it’s very gas hungry. Almost a bottle (10kg) PR 24 hours. That is partly why I fitted a Webasto air top diesel heater.

I would expect the gas powered Alde uses about the same amount of gas to heat the van as a Truma - as long as one compares two otherwise equal vans.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I see Truma have the , uses diesel and/or electric does not use gas, it also works when driving, uses diesel though, so not quite as neat as the Alde Heat Exchanger but probably very effective.

The Truma uses quite little gas to heat the few liters of water. But heating the car, especially in -20C or colder, it’s very gas hungry. Almost a bottle (10kg) PR 24 hours. That is partly why I fitted a Webasto air top diesel heater.

I think at -20C, I would seek warmer climes or hookup, we did once use a 6kg bottle and a bit on Alde at Peterborough (2 nights) I left the locker door to the boiler unit open so we were heating the field for about 24 hrs :rolleyes:.

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
I see Truma have the , uses diesel and/or electric does not use gas, it also works when driving, uses diesel though, so not quite as neat as the Alde Heat Exchanger but probably very effective.

I think at -20C, I would seek warmer climes or hookup, we did once use a 6kg bottle and a bit on Alde at Peterborough (2 nights) I left the locker door to the boiler unit open so we were heating the field for about 24 hrs :rolleyes:.
D6E is probably excellent, but expensive and in my case would not bring heat to my cupboards for drying shoes and clothes.

Unfortunately, we cannot go anywhere hotter as we love to go skiing and other winter activities :)

The Webasto I’m sure would have no problems keeping everything nice and hot even below -30C

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Btw, the diesel heater gets its diesel from the 100 liters vehicle tank, and a week in the coldest climate is less than a quarter of a tank worth of diesel. No 230v hookups in this scenario, is course. Very little hassle, and very comfortable climate in the motorhome. :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Don't forget that the cost of diesel is more than that for gas to get the same amount of heat.

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Does anybody regularly wild camp who has the Alde wet radiator system in their 'van?
I'd be interested to know how it copes "off grid" for, say, up to 48 to 72 hours?
Is it a power hungry system as far as gas and batteries go?
T.I.A
As some of you may have noticed I’m a big fan of diesel air heaters. My Webasto EVO 40 ranges from about 1 amp to about 3.5 amps at full speed. Often between 1 and 2 in winter climate, depending on the outside temp, open windows, wanted inside temp etc.

Lets assume 1.5 amps average usage, 48 hours would require 72 ah of heat only capacity.

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Don't forget that the cost of diesel is more than that for gas to get the same amount of heat.
This is not the case for me. A week worth of diesel heating has a cost of 325 NOK (29 gbp), and running propane bottles would cost about 7 times as much, depending on local prices where I’m at. I pay anywhere from 250 to 400 NOK (22-36 gbp) per 10 kilos of propane, and about one bottle pr 24 hours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back