Alde water heating issue? (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I would sooner watch coronation street than read this thread again.
I spend hours understanding every part of my van (and most other things I come into contact with) just so I can bore others with long-winded explanations - and learn from those who know more. On the other hand I have never visited a motorhome service facility, or garage, or car service establishment in 50-odd years of motoring and have never called out anyone to fix anything at home. Apart from DynoRod once - there are limits ? . I've never broken down with anything that I haven't fixed at the roadside (other than once with a stripped timing gear close to home & recovered by a friend because I have never been a member of a recovery service either). I really am an incredibly boring cheap skate ?.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I would sooner watch coronation street than read this thread again.
Not what I would class as the most helpful comment. And AFAIK nobody is forcing to read threads again. If you don't want to get notifications when another post is added to this thread just click the "unwatch" button at the top of the thread.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
I was just pointing out that the argument was unnecessary, the instruction book is very clear and one of the better ones.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I was just pointing out that the argument was unnecessary, the instruction book is very clear and one of the better ones.
What argument? When people are not sure they ask the forum and get a reply. Rarely would RTFM be a suitable to answer.

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
I love these technical threads, I like the research for manuals to read even on equipment we don't even have because I like helping people out, keep asking the questions.

Absolutely agree. Knowledge is Power!! You cannot own a MH and not expect to be hands on unless you enjoy regular trips to the dealer and enjoy picking up huge bills.
In the event of something malfunctioning you need to know how these things are put together and function especially if you're in darkest France on a BH and when you think of just how many mechanical, electrical and plumbing components are used in the manufacture of a MH there's always something that's going to require servicing / repair or replacement.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I love reading ALL threads,as they are a mountain of knowledge from people that have been there,done it and worn the tee shirt,,personally as a relatively new motorhomer, I love to learn and know what I am doing,,so crack on.(y)

Deleted User
If you go into the first page of the settings menu you will see an icon (second one down) showing a shower head. That is the setting for hot water. It has three settings which you can scroll through using +button to the right.
  • Off, which shows as an empty triangle on the icon. In this case the water will get warm when the heating is on but will only warm up when the heating is actually running. Of course if it is very cold and the heating runs a lot the water will get quite hot.
  • On, which shows a half full triangle icon. This is the default setting when you turn the heater on. The water will heat up to its standard temperature and will be maintained at that regardless of whether or not the heating is on.
  • Boost, which shows as full triangle icon. The water gets a boost to get it to a higher temperature. If this is chosen the heating is switched off so the maximum heat goes to the water. This setting switches off automatically after half an hour.
If you don't want hot water just keep pressing the +button until the triangle icon is empty.
Old thread i know, but my Alde only has two options on the shower icon, On and Boost? Its not possible to go any lower than simple on.
Id really like to not be wasting gas heating water if its possible? Any one know if theres a way on what i now assume is the 3010?

To be clear, the grey gradient bar to the right on the shower icon, only has two positions, half full or full. From the posts above, can I safely assume "you cant!".

There is a "gas" icon where all the settings are that has options of Summer or Winter and On or Off (despite reading the manual i never really understood what this did), its currently set to Summer and On. What does this do please? and what should it be set to (I live onboard full time, does it need to be on Winter now)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I spend hours understanding every part of my van (and most other things I come into contact with) just so I can bore others with long-winded explanations - and learn from those who know more. On the other hand I have never visited a motorhome service facility, or garage, or car service establishment in 50-odd years of motoring and have never called out anyone to fix anything at home. Apart from DynoRod once - there are limits ? . I've never broken down with anything that I haven't fixed at the roadside (other than once with a stripped timing gear close to home & recovered by a friend because I have never been a member of a recovery service either). I really am an incredibly boring cheap skate ?.
Sorry to usurp this thread but as there are such experts about I would like to know what the summer and winter settings are about too.
Also when to use continuous and when to use therm. I've only got bits of the manual and this isn't explained. Just reading peterc10 below. Our system I would guess is the same as yours as we have similar vans. Ours is a touch screen one.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Old thread i know, but my Alde only has two options on the shower icon, On and Boost? Its not possible to go any lower than simple on.
Id really like to not be wasting gas heating water if its possible? Any one know if theres a way?

To be clear, the grey gradient bar to the right on the shower icon, only has two positions, half full or full.

There is a "gas" icon where all the settings are that has options of Summer or Winter and On or Off (despite reading the manual i never really understood what this did), its currently set to Summer and On. What does this do please? and what should it be set to (I live onboard full time, does it need to be on Winter now)?
What Alde system do you have? The point I was making refers to our Alde 3020 system. Do you have an earlier version like to 3010? Does your controller have sliders (3010) or does it have a touch screen (3020)? If it is the 3010, see post #16 above.

Edit. Just had a look again at the instructions. If you do have a 3020 the option to turn off the hot water will be disabled if you have the pump operation set to "Cont", i.e. Continuous. We always have ours set to "Therm", which means the pump is controlled by the room thermostat.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry to usurp this thread but as there are such experts about I would like to know what the summer and winter settings are about too.
Also when to use continuous and when to use therm. I've only got bits of the manual and this isn't explained. Just reading peterc10 below. Our system I would guess is the same as yours as we have similar vans. Ours is a touch screen one.
They should be the same, but don't forget you have the luxury version with lots of add ons, whilst ours is just basic!!

The only time we use Continuous is when we want water to be heated whilst we are driving using the engine heat exchanger. To do that we have to switch off both gas and electric operations. Otherwise ours is always on the "Therm" setting.

Not sure what summer or winter settings are as we don't have anything like that. Does the icon look like a gas tank with a sun symbol on one side and a frost symbol on the other side.? If so you have the EisEX 12V defroster, which warms up the gas regulator so that it still works in very low temperatures. Our basic version doesn't have that. Good for skiing I am told, but we never use our motorhome to go anywhere colder than it is at home!

If you open a conversation with me and give me you email address I will forward a pdf copy of our instruction manual to you.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't think that it's worth using continuous as my understanding is that it runs the pump all the time and the room thermostat controls the boiler temperature so as the room heats up the glycol circuit cools but also cools the domestic water so you go for a shower and get a nasty surprise, it is supposed to give a more even temperature in the room as the pump is not on/off.

Deleted User
They should be the same, but don't forget you have the luxury version with lots of add ons, whilst ours is just basic!!

The only time we use Continuous is when we want water to be heated whilst we are driving using the engine heat exchanger. To do that we have to switch off both gas and electric operations. Otherwise ours is always on the "Therm" setting.

Not sure what summer or winter settings are as we don't have anything like that. Does the icon look like a gas tank with a sun symbol on one side and a frost symbol on the other side.? If so you have the EisEX 12V defroster, which warms up the gas regulator so that it still works in very low temperatures. Our basic version doesn't have that. Good for skiing I am told, but we never use our motorhome to go anywhere colder than it is at home!

If you open a conversation with me and give me you email address I will forward a pdf copy of our instruction manual to you.
Just a note on that, I leave the pump on Therm since I want to heat water for free and heat the van while driving.
Wouldnt switching it to Continuous only do the very same thing anyway when driving (heat the van and hot water)?

Not sure i see the point of Continuous. Why would we want the pump to run continuously and wear it out more quickly?
Set to Therm, the pump switches off when the room temp i want is reached generating the hot water in the process?

Does anyone know how the Alde works in terms of does it initiate gas burning (but not the pump) to generate ONLY hot water in the following scenario:
Room temperature is at or above the set level but the hot water temperature is cooling. ? (e.g on warm days when sun is enough to keep the van warm)

Im wondering on my 3010 if there are times its wasting gas to keep the hot water up to temp when I dont want it to (since i cant turn the hot water off on its own).

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just a note on that, I leave the pump on Therm since I want to heat water for free and heat the van while driving.
Wouldnt switching it to Continuous only do the very same thing anyway when driving (heat the van and hot water)?

Not sure i see the point of Continuous. Why would we want the pump to run continuously and wear it out more quickly?
Set to Therm, the pump switches off when the room temp i want is reached generating the hot water in the process?

Does anyone know how the Alde works in terms of does it initiate gas burning (but not the pump) to generate ONLY hot water in the following scenario:
Room temperature is at or above the set level but the hot water temperature is cooling. ? (e.g on warm days when sun is enough to keep the van warm)

Im wondering on my 3010 if there are times its wasting gas to keep the hot water up to temp when I dont want it to (since i cant turn the hot water off on its own).
If you leave the pump on Therm it will stop working when the temperature set has been met. So the water will not be heated because when the pump stops no heat can be transferred from the engine heat exchanger to the boiler. AFAIK with gas or electric settings the pump does not need to work to heat the water because the gas and electric elements are in the boiler.

We rarely need the heating as our A class Hymer seems to get warn enough just by using the cab heater. As I said we only use "continuous" when driving. And even then we switch it off once the water has got hot. As others have said if you have the heat exchanger (which is an extra) it provides free hot water whilst driving.

Deleted User
If you leave the pump on Therm it will stop working when the temperature set has been met. So the water will not be heated because when the pump stops no heat can be transferred from the engine heat exchanger to the boiler. AFAIK with gas or electric settings the pump does not need to work to heat the water because the gas and electric elements are in the boiler.

We rarely need the heating as our A class Hymer seems to get warn enough just by using the cab heater. As I said we only use "continuous" when driving. And even then we switch it off once the water has got hot. As others have said if you have the heat exchanger (which is an extra) it provides free hot water whilst driving.
didnt realise the heat exchanger was an extra, assumed they all had them.
I set the room temp control ridiculously high when im driving on a cold day, so i can build up as much residual heat in the MH by the time i stop (so the water will still be constantly heated even on Therm).
Did I mention Im quarter Scottish :p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back