Alde or Truma ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
How would I get my Alde system to warm on the move?
You need the heat exchanger which will use heat from the engine cooling system to warm up the heating fluid. They can be an add on extra or included in the package. Ours was included as part of the package that was specced by the dealer. If you are planning any skiing or arctic trips it also works in reverse, allowing the engine to be preheated by the motorhome heating system to help it start easier in really cold weather.

Reactions: M-J

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Heat exchanger and set the thermostat high. Mine can be run in reverse when on EHU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Any idea where it would be fitted and what it looks like, hoping I already have it.
It is a small heat exchanger that will be out of sight somewhere; ours is under the driver's seat. If you tell us what motorhome you are considering someone with one may be able to tell you where it is. There will also be a switch somewhere visible to switch on the auxiliary pump needed for the engine prewarm function, In our Hymer it is over the entrance door next to the control panel.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Alde sell a heat exchanger that connects on one side to the cab heater connections and on the other to the Alde radiator circuit. Like this:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Could be down to poor installation

I think your right. We have just one outlet into the hab area and one in the bathroom at the rear of the van and the they ran the pipework externally under the van which I have lagged it with armaflex along the whole of it's route, which improved it greatly, but I'm thinking of fitting a tee in and piping to an outlet further towards the front of the van.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I have an older Truma Combi-boiler with a thirsty 12V fan requirement in My Dethleff's Motorhome and have now fitted an 8KW chinese diesel air heater as it runs on diesel with a long lasting 12V fan.
Diesel can be bought any where so saves on gas when wild camping.
As a Flintshire Mobile Motorhome and Caravan Technician I can recommend the diesel heaters.
Alde have anti-freeze so less chance of freezing.
Truma usually have frost control dump valves but you will lose your water when they dump.
Alde are usually a more expensive system.
All systems have there Pro's and Con's.
did you tee into the existing hot distribution pipe work or does the deiesel one just fire direct into the van?

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Used the heat exchanger the other night. Set the elec and gas off; turned the heating up; switched button on. Arrive to "free" hot water and cozy all over van. Switch pump off, adjust temp down and gas on for night. Great system.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think your right. We have just one outlet into the hab area and one in the bathroom at the rear of the van and the they ran the pipework externally under the van which I have lagged it with armaflex along the whole of it's route, which improved it greatly, but I'm thinking of fitting a tee in and piping to an outlet further towards the front of the van.
We have 4 in the lounge area and up the back of the sofa, also along the front of the dash between blind & screen. 1 in the shower, 1 in the toilet, 1 between toilet & shower. Vents along the sides of both beds that can be turned off. All pipework in double floor also outlets into tank enclosures and toilet cassette housing. And 1 in the garage.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
did you tee into the existing hot distribution pipe work or does the deiesel one just fire direct into the van?

Separate system to any other in van.
Diesel supply from an auxiliary tank, Tee in to fuel line or pick up tube in top of van tank.
I fitted an 8KW diesel blow air heater today.
Saves on using LPG. Buy diesel anywhere.
The heater draws 9A initially to light the glow plug then minimal fan voltage to blow the heat around the van cutting in and out at the chosen temperature 10C to 35C.
I fit 5KW and 8KW versions and upgrade some of the heater fittings, jubilee clips, hot air vents etc
I have one in My own van.

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Thanks guys and galls, seems like Alde has the vote. I really appreciate all your input.
All I have to do now is pluck up the courage to “part wi some brass” and buy a motorhome. Being a Yorkshire lad parting wi brass don’t come easy ! ?
Welcome Yorkshirelad175 from us in S Yorks! We’re on our first van 17months and had Alde heating, once you get used to the operation of the system and control panel it’s great!
I’m told by those who have had both that the van cools down quicker with the Truma. Also if you have a bit of dust and pollen the Truma can blow it around! Just my limited $0.02 worth??
If I could change one thing about the Alde it would be where the boiler is situated, if you’re a light sleeper you don’t want it under the bed?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
You need a heat exchanger installed in your engine bay, and this has to be plumbed into the Alde heating system. Basically once the engine is up to its operating temperature coolant can then be sent round the Alde heating circuit thus heating the van as you travel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back