sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Should have titled this Alde heating Towel Radiator!!!
We have just ordered our new motor home and it comes with Alde Heating, 2030. There is an Alde Towel "ladder style" Radiator in the bathroom, not to be confused with the simple bent pipe called a towel rail! It would seem that these do not come with an electric (230 volt) heating element so they are not heated unless the central heating is running. I have enquired if either the radiator is available with an electric element fitted or if I can retrofit fit one. So far that has drawn a blank from both Alde and an Alde service engineer. Has anyone fitted an alternative replacement towel radiator with an electric element or added an element to the Alde offering to provide towel drying when on EHU, without running the heating? Whichever solution can you share the parts and process you followed?

Thanks in anticipation.
Michael

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Alde Central heating runs off EHU so why not just run the heating?

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Geez did not think of that!!!!
I know that it can run of EHU, however even when we are in Spain in mid 20's we often have the towel radiator on, it has an electric element with a rheostat control, to dry towels on an inclement day, and having the heating on is just plain stupid. Indeed there many occasions the temperature does not justify the heating on but the towel radiator provides a bit of comfort when getting out of the shower.
But I would hope that my query gets a positive practical answer from someone on here?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Have a look on ebay for motorhome/caravan heated towel rail.
I bought one & fitted it in our washroom myself with the appropriate power switch inside the van hab area for less than £40.
It's advertised as being designed to run 24/7 & only using the equivalent amount of power as a light bulb.
It's quite small but can take a couple of towels etc.
Wife likes it for drying her smalls out of sight of other campers:D

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Geez did not think of that!!!!
I know that it can run of EHU, however even when we are in Spain in mid 20's we often have the towel radiator on, it has an electric element with a rheostat control, to dry towels on an inclement day, and having the heating on is just plain stupid. Indeed there many occasions the temperature does not justify the heating on but the towel radiator provides a bit of comfort when getting out of the shower.
But I would hope that my query gets a positive practical answer from someone on here?

Well I thought my answer was positive and practical, you would be surprised how many people aren't aware of the simplest (to the knowledgeable) things.

Having a bigoted attitude isn't going to help you on a forum where people try and help!!!!!!!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Alde Central heating runs off EHU so why not just run the heating?

... can you not run the heating but with the thermostat set so low that it doesn't come on? or would this mean that the towel rail won't work either?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
... can you not run the heating but with the thermostat set so low that it doesn't come on? or would this mean that the towel rail won't work either?

how about fitting an isolation valve?

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Well I thought my answer was positive and practical, you would be surprised how many people aren't aware of the simplest (to the knowledgeable) things.

Having a bigoted attitude isn't going to help you on a forum where people try and help!!!!!!!
Well its good I am not the sensitive type, such as yourself it would appear, who would find being called a Bigot in the public domain somewhat uncalled for and inflammatory!

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks that is one option but I have not had Alde heating before so I am unsure how that would work out and the simple answer is to have an electric element, which only cost £20-30, fitted when the system is installed. I may just get a radiator that is "duel fuel" and give it to the factory.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sort of like my reply to running the system on a low thermostat setting, but the installation may be more complicated than fitting an electric element.

yes but you're also getting hot water.....just fit the 230v rail........simples

still have not said what van it is....

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Can't really see the point of posting a problem when the OP has already decided on a course of action to rectify it. Especially when the opinions offered by others are shot down in flames.......

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Can't really see the point of posting a problem when the OP has already decided on a course of action to rectify it. Especially when the opinions offered by others are shot down in flames.......
I provided some background and this was my question in the post, please re-read it, and before you flame me again.:-
Has anyone fitted an alternative replacement towel radiator with an electric element or added an element to the Alde offering to provide towel drying when on EHU, without running the heating?
How clear is that? Now read the subsequent posts. So far I am an idiot, a bigot and now a time waster. Thanks for the feedback much appreciated.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As Alde don't have an answer, I would imagine it cant be done

We do have an Alde system fitted and as it is a fully wetted system if you have an electric element trying to heat the towel rail, it would presumably also be trying to heat the rest of the radiators as well so would never get warm enough to be any use

Just my opinion :)

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As Alde don't have an answer, I would imagine it cant be done

We do have an Alde system fitted and as it is a fully wetted system if you have an electric element trying to heat the towel rail, it would presumably also be trying to heat the rest of the radiators as well so would never get warm enough to be any use

Just my opinion :)
I have a similar solution in the towel radiator at home, the element heats the water in the rail only, unless the pump is running, in which case your presumption would be correct, we only use the electric element in the summer when the heating is not on. If you google dual fuel towel radiators you will get the gist of the concept from the various suppliers. Still hoping someone has done this to the Alde towel radiator, they are £360 each so to get one to try is a cost I am not prepared to gamble on.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
This might do the trick-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/towel-radiator-element-400w/88595

Not sure about the fittings on an Alde radiator, but anything is possible with a bit of ingenuity!
Sort of, and my thoughts, but the element would have to go up one of the outside tubes and I am not sure of the internal clearance, of course if a dealer or the factory have not done it before then they are not prepared to say. I am at the factory in January so one thing on the list will be to get a towel radiator inspected! Unless someone has done it on here. The other option as I said in my initial post is to just buy a consumer dual fuel radiator and give it to the factory! And then run away!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
cant see any reason it cant be retro fitted only possible problem i can forsee is on such a low capacity system it might feed adjacent radiators

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If it this radiator. http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=140 The elements shown should go in OK as the vertical legs have plugs screwed in the bottom, best get the factory to do it as the rad would have to come off to get clearance to get it I from the bottom.
Yes that is the one, and I thought the same, the difficulty has been getting any detail at the moment, like what is the thread detail of the plug, most electrical elements are 1/2 BSP and this radiator appears to be an Alde special hence my post looking/hoping someone has some experience of doing it, in case it is another size or the tube is constricted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back