LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The new van has the Alde heating system and from the little I know its worked from the engine electric and gas. There seems to be pipes everywhere including underfloor. I had it running on gas yesterday and although it got the van hot in a short time, I noticed that after about an hour the red light came on by the gas igniter. Is this normal and is just telling me that its up to temp or is there something wrong. Should I have any concerns regarding all those joints possibly leaking. I do quite like the idea of arriving at destination with hot water from the engine calorifier. Although the new van is made by the same people as the old van, its a completely different animal and everything seems quite high tech to an old codger like me.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Dear Old Codger...

We have the Alde heating system, and it`s great..

Got a switch on the dash board that if turned on heats the radiators from the engine..

Also runs of Gas or 1 - 2 - 3 kw on mains or through the inverter, inverter struggles on 2 to 3 kw..

Bit thirsty on gas,,,, I think... :Sad:

Other than that cant help it`s all controlled from a computer.. (More to go wrong.:Sad:)

Not had any problems with all the joints... dont think it is a huge presure through the pipes..
:thumb:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
HI Dave,we have it seems exactly the same system in our old girl, for a start very reliable heating system,and like yours it has a change over system from engine heating through to the aldi heating in the living area, always toasty on winter travels,it run,s on ever Gas,12v electric or mains electric,so where ever you are you got warmth,when ours is running on 12volt the red light always come on after awhile but never on mains or gas,ive checked with the book and that seems to be normal,some with to with circulations pump,and for the clips they re great,never had a leak at all in the years we have had her,the clips are designed to expand and extract as temps change,all in all a great system, hope you and the other half enjoy ya travels in ya New Home,all the best Alf.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have the Alde heating system which has so far been very reliable and efficient. At first it was a little fiddly to set the clock and timer each time after running the engine but now I have fitted a battery back-up from the leisure battery this is no longer a problem as it keeps all it's settings.

I haven't seen a "red" light on our system so can't help on that.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I too have the Alde system and it's fantastic. It has the heat exchanger under the bench seat too which as I understand when I switch it on and hear the pump start, if the engine is warm and running then it heats the MH radiators and hot water (have to have the system switched on and set the temp but turn off the gas and electric options so all that it's doing is circulating pump is on taking the heat from your engine coolant and transferring the heat through the heat exchanger), but also works the other way round in that if the MH radiators are hot then it warms the engine.

Well that's how it was explained to me and appears to work that way lol but would love someone to confirm my understanding that I need to switch the pump on for it to work either way.

Regards, David.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I too have the Alde system and it's fantastic. It has the heat exchanger under the bench seat too which as I understand when I switch it on and hear the pump start, if the engine is warm and running then it heats the MH radiators and hot water (have to have the system switched on and set the temp but turn off the gas and electric options so all that it's doing is circulating pump is on taking the heat from your engine coolant and transferring the heat through the heat exchanger), but also works the other way round in that if the MH radiators are hot then it warms the engine.

Well that's how it was explained to me and appears to work that way lol but would love someone to confirm my understanding that I need to switch the pump on for it to work either way.

Regards, David.

I also have the tap with the heat exchanger under the dash. As far as I can gather there are two 12 volt pumps. One by the boiler for gas and mains and another on the dash for the engine heat. By the boiler there are 3 taps, lounge, bedroom and garage and underfloor. These can be used to direct heat to whatever part of the van needs it. On the control panel there are 2 settings for mains, 1KW and 2KW and 1 for gas. I have not tried the mains as yet as I have no lead, but the gas works OK apart from the light coming on after about an hour. If I switch it off and then on again it stays on, so wondered if this was normal and it was just recycling or if there was a fault.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
As an after thought, Dave...

Check your reservoir, make sure it is up to the mark, and only use what the book says...

I think it is some sort of anti corrosion anti freeze.. :thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As an after thought, Dave...

Check your reservoir, make sure it is up to the mark, and only use what the book says...

I think it is some sort of anti corrosion anti freeze.. :thumb:

Just found the reservoir Mo, its up to the mark but as the instructions are all in German I have no idea what type of anti freeze you put in it. Is it just normal car anti freeze.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Just found the reservoir Mo, its up to the mark but as the instructions are all in German I have no idea what type of anti freeze you put in it. Is it just normal car anti freeze.

You can get the proper stuff off ebay or even at Halfords I believe...

Google Alde anti-freeze...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Useful thread thanks, I have Alde but did not realise it could run via the engine, we have a switch on the dash that I have randomly turned on and off thinking it was additional heating for rear, seems I was sort of right, but I did not realise the Alde controller needs to be turned on but gas and electric both turned off

I normally leave the electric option on all the time, then as soon as we hook up it works, (depending on set temperature) the gas I turn on and off when not on hook up, so my 'norm' when driving would be elec on, gas off, so if I have read correctly above the engine will not run the Alde :Doh:

So if when set correctly (elec and gas off) is the temperature then controlled by the Alde controller ?

Thanks all, David

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

I`ll check the book, Dave.. and get back to you..:thumb:

Not sure.. :Sad:

Just noticed Wayaye wotsit answered your question... so I wont look... :winky:::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Useful thread thanks, I have Alde but did not realise it could run via the engine, we have a switch on the dash that I have randomly turned on and off thinking it was additional heating for rear, seems I was sort of right, but I did not realise the Alde controller needs to be turned on but gas and electric both turned off

I normally leave the electric option on all the time, then as soon as we hook up it works, (depending on set temperature) the gas I turn on and off when not on hook up, so my 'norm' when driving would be elec on, gas off, so if I have read correctly above the engine will not run the Alde :Doh:

So if when set correctly (elec and gas off) is the temperature then controlled by the Alde controller ?

Thanks all, David

Mine has a small tap by the heat exchanger. This I presume opens and allows the contents of the engine water to circulate through the Alde system when the 12 volt engine pump is switched on. By this I would also presume that the Alde system is full of the same stuff as the engine cooling system. In very cold weather it can be used the other way around to pre heat the engine from either gas or mains electric. Another presumption I must add.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Mine has a small tap by the heat exchanger. This I presume opens and allows the contents of the engine water to circulate through the Alde system when the 12 volt engine pump is switched on. By this I would also presume that the Alde system is full of the same stuff as the engine cooling system. In very cold weather it can be used the other way around to pre heat the engine from either gas or mains electric. [HI]Another presumption I must add.
[/HI]

I think you are correct.

I'll dig out my Alde booklet later and scan it in if you need one..

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp

yes Dave i always top up with normal car antifreeze making sure the antifreeze is for aluminium, i use 60% mix for the cold conditions up here,going back to the circulations pump we have two one from the engine to the exchanger,and the other by the aldi system,both of 12v,so when on main electric and gas you will need the 12v system on,by the way Dave in the winter you can use the aldi system as a engine heater,there should be a valve by the exchanger that reverses the flow allowing to heat up the engine coolant,smart idea from aldi and a great product, :thumb:Alf.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
"Olley"... Ian.. is correct they both have there own separate sealed water system`s... :thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
That van seems to be a bit too advanced for you Dave...

As a mate I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands. :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Thats very civil of you my old friend. Will certainly beer that in mind when it all gets to much for me.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not had it or got it, but from a discussion on it on facts, the engine and Alde are separate systems. They use a heat exchanger to transfer the heat from one system to another. (Engine/Alde) See here: http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=58

Ian

Ahah, hence the heat exchanger. I completely forgot what a heat exchanger actually does. It keeps both systems separate.

Deus Omnipotens

Free Member
May 25, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5 years
According to my manual the red light serves 2 functions on my heating control panel.

Red light flashes if the voltage to the boiler goes below 10.5V

Fixed Light the LPG boiler has become blocked.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Guys

We have the Alde system with heat exchanger, not all Alde systems have the heat exchanger though as it is an optional extra with many vans.

If you have the heat exchanger it should have a tap to open when you want to use engine cooling water to heat up the Alde system, just set the thermostat and the pump slider switch to the first click, the first click up switches the pump on and off to regulate temperature. The next click ie to top position runs the pump all the time and regulates the temperature of the water in the boiler when on gas or electric, this setting is no good if you want hot water for a shower as the boiler could well be cool this is all pertaining to older system with three slider switches and rotary thermostat).

You only need the engine 12v pump to move heat into the engine from the hot Alde system via the heat exchanger.

In the summer it is worth switching the heat exchanger tap off as some heat will eventually get through into the boiler and pipe work as you drive.

Our red light only comes on momentarily as the gas fires up then it stays off.

Martin

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Alde Heater Manual.

This might help.:thumb:

Sorry it didn't upload, in progress

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Excuse me jumping on your thread Snowbird, but have any of you had to bleed your system to check for air in it? Our Service centre wants to take 2 hours at ÂŁ66 ph to check ours!! Heating not working properly.....

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Comma G40 Xtream 50/50 mix

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I can not find any lights on ours it's a 3010 system only ever had a bleed valve fail other than that good system.
Ours only has one pump I set that to constant when useing the heat exchanger on the engine other times it is set to thermal.
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Excuse me jumping on your thread Snowbird, but have any of you had to bleed your system to check for air in it? Our Service centre wants to take 2 hours at ÂŁ66 ph to check ours!! Heating not working properly.....
You will find little bleed valves around the system at one end of each radiator, just crack open until you get water.

Martin

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010

Alde Engineers would normally use a pump to both empty and to re-fill the system. The hourly rate you mention agreed is obscene, but if they use the pump it saves a lot of heartache later bleeding individual rads.

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Thank you Canopus - yes we saw the video. It's just on top of mot and service and possible new tyres it's pretty steep just before going on hols......

cargom

Free Member
Aug 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
kon tiki sport 596
Dear Old Codger...

We have the Alde heating system, and it`s great..

Got a switch on the dash board that if turned on heats the radiators from the engine..

Also runs of Gas or 1 - 2 - 3 kw on mains or through the inverter, inverter struggles on 2 to 3 kw..

Bit thirsty on gas,,,, I think... :Sad:

Other than that cant help it`s all controlled from a computer.. (More to go wrong.:Sad:)

Not had any problems with all the joints... dont think it is a huge presure through the pipes..
:thumb:
Hi what size inverter do you have and how many batteries / size ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back