alde heating pump speed / noise (2 Viewers)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
my alde pump keeps me awake at night, actually more correctly it wakes me when it cuts in, it is rather stupidly mounted right under the rear bed, at the pillow end o_O

one option is to stop going away when cold

other possibility, I am sure I read the pump speed is adjustable, well I have had the instructions out today cant read anything, so uncovered the system in my garage, found the pump, nothing obvious to adjust

when all opened up it doesn't actually sound that noisy, I think what is happening is the box it is fitted in is acting like a speaker enclosure and boosting the noise when closed in

IMG_1996.JPG

the pump appears to be the thing looking like a cartridge with the wire coiled round it

IMG_1997.JPG

I have 'suffered' this for four years I can continue to do so, but it is annoying when you say your Alde's are so quiet :(

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
David are you sure its not the header tank that needs filling/topping up. On my Alde heating (3000) the circulating pump is immersed in the header tank/bottle. When it needs topping up its significantly noisier. You're supposed to top up with the correct Alde type Antifreeze but in an emergency top up with water.

You've had the van 4 years - how many times have you had the boiler serviced?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They are not all adjustable David, and if your doesn't have a blue knob on the end its not adjustable.

Turn it off and find another way to keep warm.

Like bed socks and wooly PJ's

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David are you sure its not the header tank that needs filling/topping up. On my Alde heating (3000) the circulating pump is immersed in the header tank/bottle. When it needs topping up its significantly noisier. You're supposed to top up with the correct Alde type Antifreeze but in an emergency top up with water.

You've had the van 4 years - how many times have you had the boiler serviced?

ours definitely isn't in the header tank, but level seems to be about mid way between min / max and always has been

one service by the Hymer guys near Preston, they said there was nothing to service on it

edit - actually no idea how you could service mine without complete removal, could take a couple of days

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Header tank sounds OK David, assuming thats the pump with the wire wrapped around it have a word with the guys at Alde UK and ask if it can be placed somewhere else in the pipework where it won't keep you awake.

Just for the record ours has not been serviced either and when I spoke to the Alde guys at Peterborough they said there was nothing to do other than drain the hot water side now and again to establish the air cushion in the boiler (how many do that).

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I guess the gas bit needs a safety check at least though really

good idea about relocation Martin, I would need someone to do it for me, but that might be a simple answer, will contact Alde when home

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
There is a burner which needs periodic replacement, a sparking electrode to name but 2 parts which need regular service.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
an interesting find in the manual, you can set an overnight temperature with time controls, but the temp has to be 7C, that will solve the problem as it will never run

we leave ours manually reduced to around 15C, but when 0C outside it cuts in quite a lot

even with socks on :LOL:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Link Removed

he will come to your house - he's knocking on a bit but knows Alde inside out

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There is a burner which needs periodic replacement, a sparking electrode to name but 2 parts which need regular service.
Hi Ken

This is from the Alde website,

Alde 3010 Compact boiler has no service requirement, but an installation will have service intervals set by the vendor, based on their system design and antifreeze solution, and relevant legislation.

Martin

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Surely there must be a build up of carbon if nothing else on the burner jets, not to mention any crud accumulating in the flue. :eek:

Ours is the 3000 model - circa 2005/6.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Could you not place some acoustic foam within the box?

I agree with the previous comment about acoustic foam. Used it in a number of areas and proved to be very effective.

been thinking this one over tonight

not sure if there is any safety implication with filling the space

seems so logical why isn't done when built? o_O

it will probably help with heat insulation as well (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Could you not place some acoustic foam within the box?

I agree with the previous comment about acoustic foam. Used it in a number of areas and proved to be very effective.

been thinking this one over tonight

not sure if there is any safety implication with filling the space

seems so logical why isn't done when built? o_O

it will probably help with heat insulation as well (y)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I guess the gas bit needs a safety check at least though really

good idea about relocation Martin, I would need someone to do it for me, but that might be a simple answer, will contact Alde when home
If you're ringing them anyway, it may be worth asking if the new style adjustable pump can be retrofitted and obtain a price. If you explain that the original is so noisy, it is spoiling your enjoyment of your van, they may just do you one at cost ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Surely there must be a build up of carbon if nothing else on the burner jets, not to mention any crud accumulating in the flue. :eek:

Ours is the 3000 model - circa 2005/6.
I understand what you are saying but I guess the argument is that when its burning correctly there is no carbon build up and if its not burning right it would be sooty at the exhaust so then it would be time to get it looked at.

All I know really is that I was talking to the Alde guys and explained that we bought our van second hand and it would then be 11 years old and I didn't know what servicing it had been given, their reaction was "if its working there is nothing to do"

Years ago we had a Baxi balanced flue boiler in the house and after about 15 years we thought we should get it serviced, the guy cam out took the cover off and declared it a waste of time as it was as clean as a whistle.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you're ringing them anyway, it may be worth asking if the new style adjustable pump can be retrofitted and obtain a price. If you explain that the original is so noisy, it is spoiling your enjoyment of your van, they may just do you one at cost ?
They might ask who the heck fitted it right under the bed (head end), Oh it was Hymer:LOL:

Martin

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
David ours is in the same place, on electric as quiet as a mouse so No problem with it clicking in and out in the night, but on gas it wakes the wife up clicking in and out and revving up. I have learned to drink more so sleep better. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back