Alcohol and Motorhomes. (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I certainly wouldn't buy the breath testers to go to France. There is no point because there is no penalty for breaking that "law".

I might get some for this country though.

I always worry about being over the limit the following day.The french ones are of no use in the UK. They only tell you if you are over the French limit which is much lower than ours. I purchased a proper breathaliser for about £50....BUSBY:Smile:

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Its easy,my wife is teetotal.she has the keys::bigsmile:

Okay - we could be in the same situation - I offer to abstain from drinking and offer to drive but the MH is in Derek's name. Do we have to sign an affidavit to that effect :Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
So if I've got the motorhome ignition key hung up in the usual safe hiding place and the hab keys on me which also has the car ignition key on and I've had a few sherberts which vehicle am I in charge of ?

both.

and unless on private property you can be done with 'dunk in charge'

pub car parks and anywhere the public have access to is considered to be 'public' and comes under the same drink drive rules as the highway..

keep your drinking for camp sites or safest way, don't drink while 'in charge'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well we do not drink alcohol whilst outside a camp site, ie not in aires or wild camping because you never know when you may have to move on. As alcohol is not high on our list of "need it" to enjoy our MH then it's not a problem.

Play the game and be safe........ SIMPLES.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I'm an ex cop so hopefully I can shed some light......................... A common sense approach is taken when dealing with these cases as they can be very hard to prove.

I had the same advise/comment from a serving Traffic Cop some years ago.
So we have adopted a system whereby no alcohol comes out till the front seats are turned round the blinds raised and the keys are stored away.
As we are likely to be driving the next day I would not have more than a couple of glasses of wine I also carry an electronic breathalyser set to French limits which I always use before driving, just in case.
Technically of course a court could take a different view and as has been said a Police Officer cannot compel you to break the law.
As most of our driving is in France I do not think the question would arise, and the French as a nation do not consider wine to be alcohol, although the failed Breathalyser Legislation did change that perception for a little while and all the French I know are now very much more aware of not driving after drinking. :winky:
Steve

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I was parked up in my van once with a serving traffic cop in a lay by we were having coffee as at that time we were shit scared of getting done
don't you drink yes say's I why com on up to my van when I ask him the position of having to move on he sad make sure it has no no overnight parking and there is no reason for us to move you on most folks are on holiday and have no intentions of moving there van so we levee them alone we got pissed as farts I have never wored abut it and have never had a problem layby wild or pub car park not saying there is not sum arshole out there looking for brownie points prove that you had the intentions to drive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back