Albania? (1 Viewer)

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Hi all, arrived at Lake Shkodra Resort [ www.lakeshkodraresort.com ] in Albania today after travelling through Montenegro, last bit was a little hair raising as we took a wrong turn and drove through the centre of Shkodra not recommended but having arrived here well worth the drive as this is one of the best sites we have been on with water and electric on all pitches, also quite a few also have bamboo awnings, lake [largest in the Balkans] about 100 meters from pitch with free use of sunbeds, free wifi, restaurant on site with fresh bread in the morning, lake fishing is included, and the best toilet facilities we seen and all for 14 euros a night. :thumb:
Mickymouse

Attachments

• 01da5e27c232c8f2d0959c64660a3113870689a656.jpg
    01da5e27c232c8f2d0959c64660a3113870689a656.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 65
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hi all, arrived at Lake Shkodra Resort [ www.lakeshkodraresort.com ] in Albania today after travelling through Montenegro, last bit was a little hair raising as we took a wrong turn and [HI]drove through the centre of Shkodra not recommended[/HI] but having arrived here well worth the drive as this is one of the best sites we have been on with water and electric on all pitches, also quite a few also have bamboo awnings, lake [largest in the Balkans] about 100 meters from pitch with free use of sunbeds, free wifi, restaurant on site with fresh bread in the morning, lake fishing is included, and the best toilet facilities we seen and all for 14 euros a night. :thumb:
Mickymouse

why's that?

Good post, thanks

OP
OP
mickymouse
Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Originally Posted by mickymouse Link Removed
Hi all, arrived at Lake Shkodra Resort [ www.lakeshkodraresort.com ] in Albania today after travelling through Montenegro, last bit was a little hair raising as we took a wrong turn and drove through the centre of Shkodra not recommended but having arrived here well worth the drive as this is one of the best sites we have been on with water and electric on all pitches, also quite a few also have bamboo awnings, lake [largest in the Balkans] about 100 meters from pitch with free use of sunbeds, free wifi, restaurant on site with fresh bread in the morning, lake fishing is included, and the best toilet facilities we seen and all for 14 euros a night. :thumb:
Mickymouse

why's that?

Good post, thanks

Saturday in town, market day with bikes etc going the wrong way around the roundabouts, oncoming traffic on your side of the road and people walking out in front of you, and cars just pulling out into road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
Saturday in town, market day with bikes etc going the wrong way around the roundabouts, oncoming traffic on your side of the road and people walking out in front of you, and cars just pulling out into road.

Wait until you get Tirana !!!!!

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Hola mickeymouse
Thanks for the info ,have a question about the safety in Albania please. Used to read when I travelled around the area many years ago that it was a very dodgy country so have never been. How have you found it, is it another option travel for travelling to Greece via Albania. Have a good trip.

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
Want to do Croatia and greece via Albania in sept/oct any other gems of knowledge about albania would be well appreciated

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Mickymouse
Hope you can post some photos of your travels. Sounds like all the more unusual places we were going to visit, when we were a we :(

paintman

Free Member
Aug 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 year
If you follow the coast road down through Croatia its all good (but slowish) Montenegro fantastic particularly around Boko kotoska, several small places to stay around the lake, we stopped at Morinj.
Albania? well I am sure there is badness there, but everyone we met were great we were fascinated by the way folk are painting their houses in bright colours, previously only state grey was permitted. :LOL: Tirana is not for the feint of heart, but worth a gander if your a confident funster.

We stayed here for a few days.

http://www.camping-albania.eu/

And highly recomended, run by a Dutch family, all mod cons and you can have your evening meal cooked for you if you wish in the small restaurant.

The biggest problem is insurance, outside the EU you have to buy third party cover at the borders unless your insurer can cover you.

We visited the Roman ruins at Butrint, ( by the infamous cable ferry featured on Top Gear) a great insight into Roman Empire.

OP
OP
mickymouse
Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Hi all, for those who are interested so far we have very much enjoyed our trip and have found the locals to be very friendly and helpful we are always very cautious where we stop but so far have not felt threatened and yes there is poverty but it’s mainly the kids doing the begging, and there is a marked contrast in prices when buying fruit and veg as you get nearer the more touristy areas.
The road down the coast is being improved and once you are past Durres it is very good until you pass Orikum then you head into the mountains and personally would advise you to avoid this route if driving a van larger than 7.5m with front wheel drive [we have quite a bit of weight in the garage, scooter etc] as there are a lot of up-hill hair pin bends on blind corners and the road had been washed away in a few places, but the view on the decent is worth it.
I have in the process of marking up my map with the campsites and coordinates and will post it when it is complete.
And for all those who want them this is the place to buy alloys for your car as lots of road side stores/garages selling them. [ I did not enquire on prices ]
I’m off to the beach now!

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all, for those who are interested so far we have very much enjoyed our trip and have found the locals to be very friendly and helpful we are always very cautious where we stop but so far have not felt threatened and yes there is poverty but it’s mainly the kids doing the begging, and there is a marked contrast in prices when buying fruit and veg as you get nearer the more touristy areas.
The road down the coast is being improved and once you are past Durres it is very good until you pass Orikum then you head into the mountains and personally would advise you to avoid this route if driving a van larger than 7.5m with front wheel drive [we have quite a bit of weight in the garage, scooter etc] as there are a lot of up-hill hair pin bends on blind corners and the road had been washed away in a few places, but the view on the decent is worth it.
I have in the process of marking up my map with the campsites and coordinates and will post it when it is complete.
And for all those who want them this is the place to buy alloys for your car as lots of road side stores/garages selling them. [ I did not enquire on prices ]
I’m off to the beach now!
My friend has a 7.5 metre caravan this is towed by a Discovery. He made a bad mistake and took the coast road.
When he arrived in Greece, to say he was a little stressed would be an understatement

Haloze

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi, we are thinking of heading down the coast to Greece in a couple of weeks. Would love to hear from others who have experience of this!
Mostly what the weather will be like i.e strong winds etc.

OP
OP
mickymouse
Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Hi having driven to Greece and back I would personally recommend our return route via Macedonia [ Lake Ohrid, Camping Sunrise at Struga ] as we found this a much easier drive, about a 5 hours even though it was via Tirana.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We did UK to Crete via Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania earlier this year. Fabulous journey - everyone in Albania was very friendly and we didn't feel threatened at all. We have a spreadsheet which shows our journey, mileage and associated costs. If anyone would like a copy then PM me with your email address.

Haloze

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We did UK to Crete via Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania earlier this year. Fabulous journey - everyone in Albania was very friendly and we didn't feel threatened at all. We have a spreadsheet which shows our journey, mileage and associated costs. If anyone would like a copy then PM me with your email address.

Hi, I cant seem to work out how to PM you, sorry but I am new to this Forum

Haloze

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi having driven to Greece and back I would personally recommend our return route via Macedonia [ Lake Ohrid, Camping Sunrise at Struga ] as we found this a much easier drive, about a 5 hours even though it was via Tirana.

We are worried about going inland too much because of snow this time of year, don't mind a little snow but having done seven Winters here I just could face having to abandon yet another vehicle to it :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back