rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We are travelling down to Greece in our motorhome again this year and we are travelling down through Croatia, Montenegro and Albania. has anyone got any suggestions as to the best route through Albania ?

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Make sure you visit Butrint - not too far from the Greek border.
Allow plenty of time for journeys - the roads are shi ... err ... "interesting". Some road "surfaces" are more like a rally stage ;o)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Make sure you visit Butrint - not too far from the Greek border.
Allow plenty of time for journeys - the roads are shi ... err ... "interesting". Some road "surfaces" are more like a rally stage ;o)
How long would you suggest it takes?

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Hi Rikfos,

We been down to Greece several times but its always been via the Italy ferries.

You could try the Magbaz website, they have done that route before, this link might help...
http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/1068/30/
...theres a wealth of info on there so you will probably find more with their search facility.

We're off to Greece again middle of March for 3 months, have a good trip and maybe see you down there.

Pete

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
We made our way from Montenegro into Albania and our fist stop was Camping Resort Lake Shkoder first class site with the cleanest toilets and showers we have come across, site beside the lake with very reasonable priced restaurant where you can buy fresh bread in the morning, pitches have water and electric and a shaded area,
Our next stop was Camp Paemer ,Kavaje Nr Durres site was in a lovely position but used our own toilet etc and was 18 euros a night, we then made our way to Camping Kranea, Livadh Himare 15euros which involved driving over the mountains where the the roads were very poor, we wished we had stopped at Rezidentia Cekodhima ,Kanine ,just past Vlore (hotel which allows vans to stay) to break the journey up as you need to be alert what with the driving standard of the Albanians and the condition of the roads, but we did enjoy it and will probably head that way again next year.I

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Rikfos,

We been down to Greece several times but its always been via the Italy ferries.

You could try the Magbaz website, they have done that route before, this link might help...
http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/1068/30/
...theres a wealth of info on there so you will probably find more with their search facility.

We're off to Greece again middle of March for 3 months, have a good trip and maybe see you down there.

Pete

Thanks Pete for your post.I have been on the Magbaz site. There are several routes with ViaMichelin, but I wanted

someone with personal experience who has driven the route. We are leaving April and back in October

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We made our way from Montenegro into Albania and our fist stop was Camping Resort Lake Shkoder first class site with the cleanest toilets and showers we have come across, site beside the lake with very reasonable priced restaurant where you can buy fresh bread in the morning, pitches have water and electric and a shaded area,
Our next stop was Camp Paemer ,Kavaje Nr Durres site was in a lovely position but used our own toilet etc and was 18 euros a night, we then made our way to Camping Kranea, Livadh Himare 15euros which involved driving over the mountains where the the roads were very poor, we wished we had stopped at Rezidentia Cekodhima ,Kanine ,just past Vlore (hotel which allows vans to stay) to break the journey up as you need to be alert what with the driving standard of the Albanians and the condition of the roads, but we did enjoy it and will probably head that way again next year.I
Thanks Mickey mouse . That is the sort of info I need. I wont be able to go over the mountains as my friend has a 27ft caravan and the last time he tugged over the mountains his wife nearly had a nervous breakdown

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@rikfos do you plan to use the Ploce/Trpanj ferry to miss Bosnia or do you plan to arrange insurance for Bosnia?

Last edited:
OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I'll have to get my map out. Insurance won't be a lot. They let my friend go straight through

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'll have to get my map out. Insurance won't be a lot. They let my friend go straight through
Thank you, it's only a short distance through Bosnia and I think you can buy insurance at the border - but whether it is worth anything is a different question!

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If you are going through Croatia, the Bosnian strip is only a couple of KM from memory and I don't think that there is a boarder crossing post there. If you have time, head into Bosmia proper - it is a great country.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you, it's only a short distance through Bosnia and I think you can buy insurance at the border - but whether it is worth anything is a different question!
Thanks for the post. Any posts are useful

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If you are going through Croatia, the Bosnian strip is only a couple of KM from memory and I don't think that there is a boarder crossing post there. If you have time, head into Bosmia proper - it is a great country.

Thanks for that, That post is very useful

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks for that, That post is very useful
I should have added that it was several years ago that we were there - things may have changed but maybe not. Bosnia & H is possibly the most interesting country that we have been to size for size compared to other countries - it isn't big but has an interesting history.

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks, I will have a nice afternoon researching the country

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We did it in 2014 - great trip and not too many hairy moments. If you want to send me your email address I will send you a spread sheet which details our route and costs.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect coming back might be interesting if the migrants are still piled up at the various borders.

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
They have been using Albania for years as a through route to Italy slightly more dangerous sea crossing

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks for the post. Any posts are useful
It is about 10Km on a good road. There are border posts on both sides. You do not get checked for Insurance from Croatia to Bosnia but they do check coming from Bosnia to Croatia sometimes. We got through but the people we were with got stopped. We did not have Insurance for Bosnia

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
I'd not risk having no insurance for Bosnia even if it is only 10 km...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back