DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think if you have to ask yourself the question "do I need an alarm?" then the answer is yes. We don't and it doesn't bother me, despite having been robbed twice! These were from cars and the consequences were inconvenient but no more. I don't like alarms as from what I've seen and heard they tend to go off when not wanted and at least some of them go beep every time you unlock the vehicle.

But if I lived in an area where vehicle thefts and break ins were more common I probably would, and if the insurance company insisted there wouldn't be much argument from me.

I can sleep peacefully knowing we don't have an alarm but if you can't and you are worried about such things then get one. They do work in my view and you won't be worse off in terms of security getting one fitted, probably a lot less worse, but I can live with that! :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If an alarm is so all important why dont converters fit one as standard equipment.
It cant be cost as every new (and almost every used) car has one and nobody complains about the extra hidden cost when buying a car.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Your post goes contrary to all the advice from the Police, The Home office, the insurance companies, people who actually deal with crime and the effect and after mouth of crime of a regular basis, "

If all these did there jobs properly & had cracked down on the scum back in the late 80's early 90's when taking & driving away really got going ,rather than put the onus yet again on the legal ,decent , honest & truthful to stump up more money to protect what the above should alreat be doing we wouldn't have the problem.
& yes I can see where Pj is coming from. On a site many people would investigate but in the street a few might & yes the majority would take photo's on the mobiles but apart from me ,who isn't a full ticket & would go looking for the altercation, the vast majority would pass by.

Im sure it will be an inconvenience but as im mutton jeff it will have little audible effect on me. :LOL:

I'm well on the way too.:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
  • A thief looking at your van in the night, LED's flashing, obviously alarmed, most will be deterred and softer targets chosen.
So Jim, you dont actually need an alarm to deter a thief....just a flashing LED.

flashing LEDs do definitely deter. So if you don't want an alarm, cobble some up and it will reduce your chances of being broken into.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Well, I like the LEDs. I recall leaving the motorhome very much alone in a car park on a dark night, no street lights, at the bottom of a hill in Austria while we went to get something to eat in a cafe at the top - probably seven or eight hundred yards away. I could see my front Strikeback LED flashing from where we were sitting and felt much more relaxed because of it.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If an alarm is so all important why dont converters fit one as standard equipment.
It cant be cost as every new (and almost every used) car has one and nobody complains about the extra hidden cost when buying a car.

Because cars get nicked! and because the majority of the manufacturers struggle to fit the basics right. Also very few motorhomes are actually stolen. In fact the majority of ALL vehicle crime is theft from the vehicle not of the vehicle. With motorhomes that figure is even higher, as modern motorhomes are not typically targeted for secondary crime purposes.

Ram raiding the local off licence, or as a getaway car is out! Joyriding? we may enjoy driving our motorhomes but to turn up at Hollywood Bowl to drag race your mates will get you seriously "dissed"

However you are more likely to be targeted by casual, opportunistic, spur of the moment crime and that we can deter in the first place and make distantly uncomfortable if they enter the motorhome.

If manufacturers fitted a cheap alarm, people that believe in security would see it as a waste of money, some thing else to be removed and binned when a bespoke system is installed. And if you have some one that doesn't see the benefits of a security system, they would moan that they are paying for something that they wont use!

Just look at the quality of the AV head units in the majority of UK manufactured motorhomes! They are certainly not picked by the Company buyers as the best on the market!

Also, have a factory fitted alarm in Germany, it probably won't be Thatcham listed in the UK so not acceptable to many insurers

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well I have published many many times "No one will nick my motorhome" Simply too difficult to try!

Again, there are those that don't believe in security, its a free world!

Having dealt with motorhome crime for 26 years, the people who don't believe in security are a wealth of information "How" "Where" "When" "With what" when the tell the tale of being left with a bus ticket, half an apple, a warm bottle of Tango and a sinking feeling!

I am almost tempted to give them extra discount as we feel so sorry for them LOL

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
However you are more likely to be targeted by casual, opportunistic, spur of the moment crime and that we can deter in the first place and make distantly uncomfortable if they enter the motorhome.
But if they see a flashing LED they will assume the vehicle is alarmed and move on....or if they are the village idiot, break in anyway and if an alarm is fitted it will hold no fear for them as they are expecting one.

So....a flashing led has the same basic effect as a sophisticated alarm.

Our opinions are far divided Eddie and neither of us is going to concede defeat.
You swear by an alarm, i think they are a waste of time.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
On the subject of Thatcham, is the Strikeback approved? I think earlier in this thread it was suggested that it is, but I'm fairly sure when I was looking in April this year it was not on the list. Has it been recently added/approved?

And apologies if I'm writing nonsense.:unsure:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
On the subject of Thatcham, is the Strikeback approved? I think earlier in this thread it was suggested that it is, but I'm fairly sure when I was looking in April this year it was not on the list. Has it been recently added/approved?

And apologies if I'm writing nonsense.:unsure:

Yes the Strikeback is Thatcham approved. I think Eddie actually helped write the Thatcham standards for Motorhome Alarms.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But if they see a flashing LED they will assume the vehicle is alarmed and move on....or if they are the village idiot, break in anyway and if an alarm is fitted it will hold no fear for them as they are expecting one.

Our opinions are far divided Eddie and neither of us is going to concede defeat.
That's is great, your a really nice guy, and I always enjoy reading your posts on Fun.

However, our experience and knowledge on alarms are poles apart I respect your opinion but it remains just that your opinion based on how much you personally value your Motorhome and its contents.

Your lucky that you can decide not to have a security system installed, for many higher value Motorhomes the owners simply don't get a choice. The insurers simply refuse to offer cover without a recognised security system.

I have dealt with the real effects and after effects of Motorhome security for over 26 years, and have been paid to Hotwire vehicles many, many times over the years, some times for garages, sometimes for hire companies and also for magazine articls.

I wrote the complete Code of Practice for the VSIB (Vehicle Security Installation Board) and have been consulted by Thatcham and sat on the Thatcham Recognised Installer Scheme trade committee

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Interesting subject. Often thought that if alarms and immobilisers are so important to insurance companies why is the discount so low!

I've seen a quote for insurance having fitted a cat 5 tracker at £600 produce a £30 discount. Doesn't add up

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As I explained earlier made caravans rarely get stolen CAT5 is the tracking system

With burglary, it just a nuisance and most people don't want to risk the no claims bonus and often have a high excess so a lot of the time people don't bother to claim

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Agreed. Aware Cat 5 is tracker just illustration of the inconsistency.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My alarm/immobiliser has a feature which I think is quite good, though I haven't got around to implementing it yet (really must).
This is the need to input a PIN via the little keypad on the dashboard in order to start the engine. The plus is that even if some lowlife steals the keys, they still can't drive it away.

While we're away the best deterrent is our two dogs, if one is deep asleep the other will wake up and bark everyone else awake.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Insurance companies aren't known for throwing their money around for no reason, so why do so many insurers give a discount when a qualifying alarm is installed?

Call me cynical, but I reckon the insurers offer a piffling discount to appease the buyer in the real hope that they will not have set the alarm at point of incident and will then effectively be uninsured

We have this at home, have to have to have an alarm, no discount, but not set not insured :(

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

And money..

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Blimey. I said this was an emotive subject, but didn’t want to start an out right bun fight; you know who you are!!

Thanks for all the posts, but I am still no further ahead. I love the idea of the more sophisticated alarms for piece of mind, but will have to use the unit first and get experience of how secure I feel as well as the price!!. I do not intend to "Wild Camp" first off and will probably stick to the New Forest sites for a while whilst I get used to using and driving it.
The unit will be stored on a Military base so hopefully pretty secure; although I had my gas nicked from the same base earlier this year from my Folding Camper.
I know I will have loads more questions before the start of Dec for you guys and may even start WWIII.

Yours Aye

Michael

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
I see two areas of concern, firstly an audible alarm to thwart the opportunist who hopes to gain a gift or two from a quick smash and grab - an item I am seriously considering to buy/have fitted.
Secondly, something that may impede the theft of your vehicle. I assume that the factory fitted immobiliser reduces the risk of the second item but I also fit a stoplock steering lock (thatchem approved C3) to reduce the risk of theft even further. On the latter no one here has offered a comment on the reliability wheel locks as a deterrent ?

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
I also fit a stoplock steering lock (thatchem approved C3) to reduce the risk of theft even further. On the latter no one here has offered a comment on the reliability wheel locks as a deterrent ?

Reminds me of a tale from a few years ago -
A local copper gets a call to attend at the scene of a car theft. Arrives and speaks to the complainant who standing by his car and says,
"I'd like to report a theft".
"what's been nicked?" asks the copper.
"my Kroklock, I'd fixed it to the steering wheel"

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I see two areas of concern, firstly an audible alarm to thwart the opportunist who hopes to gain a gift or two from a quick smash and grab - an item I am seriously considering to buy/have fitted.
Secondly, something that may impede the theft of your vehicle. I assume that the factory fitted immobiliser reduces the risk of the second item but I also fit a stoplock steering lock (thatchem approved C3) to reduce the risk of theft even further. On the latter no one here has offered a comment on the reliability wheel locks as a deterrent ?

Sadly they are easily removed in most cases, inconvenient to you to use, every time you stop, have to be stored and your factory fitted immobilisation is extremely effective.

This is why they are rarely useful for more modern vehicles

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

removable steering wheel a better option but you will look a right plum down the pub:D. when was the last time you or anyone you know had a vehicle stolen. if they really want it they will tow it away alarm blaring..they don't give a flying...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back